View Diary: Handicapping Minnesota For 2012 County by County--Obama Counties (37 comments)

•  Thanks again! (2+ / 0-)
    Mark27, ArkDem14

Were you to Tenney, MN, POP 5, in Wilkin Co., before they dissolved into the township last summer?
    I was running some errands last summer, and had 'CCO radio on in the car, and heard that they dissolved.

Farm boy who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -7.88, -4.26, 6/5/2012- the day the great error of Wisconsin history will be corrected!

by WisJohn on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 04:01:44 PM PDT

•  Been There Several Times..... (3+ / 0-)
      WisJohn, James Allen, ArkDem14

Whenever I'm in the area, I make a point of driving through as it's a really creepy place, effectively an abandoned ghost town with a couple dozen standing homes and structures that have not been lived in for decades, complete with unattended lawns that are now filled up with 20 years worth of weeds.  Right in the middle of this abandonment are two trailer homes where the remaining residents live.  Every time I go through I'm fascinated by the fact that people could actually live in a setting that has to be as depressing as the most vacant streets of Detroit.

•  You seem like the kind of person (1+ / 0-)
        Mark27

That would travel the country taking photographs and doing research and interviews on America's Ghost Towns.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 at 06:37:49 AM PDT

•  I Actually Found an Old Myspace Account.... (1+ / 0-)
          WisJohn

...with some pictures of Tenney.   http://www.myspace.com/...

•  Rather depressing. (1+ / 0-)
            ArkDem14

I'd like to be the mayor of a micro-town. :)

by WisJohn on Mon Apr 30, 2012 at 03:51:54 PM PDT

•  The fact that you can only (0+ / 0-)

find it on MySpace is a problem.

But north Minnesota seems interesting. I'd probably like to have an isolated cabin out on the shore of The Lake of the Woods (which was a great book by Tim O'Brien).

by ArkDem14 on Tue May 01, 2012 at 05:24:58 AM PDT

•  come on (1+ / 0-)
              ArkDem14

Lake Wobegon is a much better place! Lol.

There are some great places to own a lake cabin (or, if you're well off,
              a lake. Yes, you can buy entire lakes in some parts of the state.)

I am not a big Lake of the Woods fan. If you want an isolated cabin on a kick-butt fishing lake, I recommend either lake Kabetogama (Cab-uh-TOE-guh-muh) or lake Winnibigoshish (Win-ih-big-osh) or Winnie for short.

•  Are There Any Additional Regulations For Winnie... (0+ / 0-)

since it's on the Leech Lake reservation?

•  walleye slot limits (2+ / 0-)
                  Mark27, ArkDem14

But you are going to find that on most big lakes. One place you will never find me is Mille Lacs. I don't know why people rant and rave about it. The fishing sucks, the waves are oppressive, and the restrictions are ridiculous

•  Damn (2+ / 0-)
                    OGGoldy, ArkDem14

I guess I need to cancel my weekend plans of going to Mille Lacs to find you. ;)

22, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), moving to Japan in July, hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Tue May 01, 2012 at 09:16:34 AM PDT

•  How About Red Lake? (0+ / 0-)

Ever fished that?  I ask these questions as a complete outsider to northern MN fishing who has nothing to go on but word of mouth of friends.

•  never fished red (0+ / 0-)

Or leech.

There are way way way too many lakes to try them all in a lifetime, let alone in my 27 years on this planet. Most of my excursions have in NE Minnesota, as that is where I am from, and growing up poor does not lend itself to traveling to fish when there are lakes nearby.

Interesting fact, I have only "fished" in Lake Superior once in my life. And I use that term loosely, as smelting is not what normal people would consider "fishing"

•  From What I've Seen Red Lake Would Probably Be... (0+ / 0-)

....similar to Mille Lacs (or Lake Superior) with the big choppy waves.

•  The Lake of the Woods though (0+ / 0-)

is enormous, and it's one of the most isolated regions of the continental U.S, certainly outside of Alaska or the Rocky Mountain west. That's what appeals to the Romantic in me.

by ArkDem14 on Wed May 02, 2012 at 02:56:59 AM PDT

•  i actually disagree (1+ / 0-)
                          ArkDem14

Lake of the Woods is actually a pseudo-tourist trap. And ALLoff the good fishing is on the Canadian side of the lake. If you go to the east, around Voyager's National Park or the areas around the BWCA, it is much much more isolated, even if you're not quite as far north.