View Diary: Ann Romney's tale of 'struggling': We 'learned hard lessons' living off our stock portfolio (207 comments)

•  "What happened to you?" (3+ / 0-)
    Ckntfld, msmacgyver, RadGal70

"I lived.  Now i gotta find out what I do next."

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with a-holes - William Gibson.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:55:55 PM PDT

•  Peggy Cass (1+ / 0-)

Just curious (and still impressed)...why Auntie Mame?

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day? George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:55:57 PM PDT

•  i went to a muffy and buffy and gloria sort of (1+ / 0-)
        msmacgyver

school.  we - my friends and i -  thought mame, which lampooned connecticut so perfectly was just hilarious.  we all identified with mame in juxtaposition to the upsons.

one friend who was bound for a career as an actress, spurred us on to using movie quotes in everyday situations, sometimes with wit, sometimes as a sort of secret code between us all.   she was wonderful: she could do gloria perfectly, the simpering self-absorbed posture, the clenched jaw.

mame wasn't the only movie though: we could do just about everything from edward albee's plays, tennessee williams,  all lerner and lowe musicals, the philadelphia story, indiscreet (how dare you make love to me and not be a married man!) the lion in winter ('we rode bare-breasted to damascus.  i damned near died of sunburn but the troops were dazled!"), the pink panther, help, and the sandpipers are just a few.  not to mention memorising virtually everything ever done by the goon show and peter cooke and dudley moore.  we also used to memorise and quote great swathes of shakespeare and english poetry: i sued to be able to recite the entire Prisoner of Chillon by Byron.

we'd memorise all this stuff for fun and then save it for future use, like squirrels with word nuts.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 10:23:51 PM PDT

•  You are amazing! (1+ / 0-)

I had a friend whose life was in free fall when I met him. A messy divorce and a stint in rehab along with business problems had him on an almost instant replay of Pink Panther quips and quotes :)

by msmacgyver on Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 05:50:24 AM PDT

•  well why think it up yourself if someone's (1+ / 0-)
            msmacgyver

already said it before? and better? and more succinctly?

course it carries a terrible karma: each one of us had boyfriends at one point or other who quoted rock lyrics.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 10:54:12 AM PDT

•  Peggy Cass (0+ / 0-)

Just curious (and still impressed)...why Auntie Mame?

by msmacgyver on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:57:57 PM PDT

•  Ooops...have no idea how that happened nt (0+ / 0-)

by msmacgyver on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:59:18 PM PDT