View Diary: Ripples - Kossacks Can Help Fulfill the Legacy of RFK Today (118 comments)

•  I like, I like! (none)
    Ideas for how?  I'll try to think too! (Though thinking is hard - my brain hurts!)
    •  Not an answer to the adopt idea... but CAFE PRESS (4.00)
      What if some of the kids at Kommunity Prep (get it? with the K!!!) designed a cool t-shirt representing the nature of their desire to succeed no matter what? Then we could push people to buy the t-shirts.  Of course, I bet a creative person here could come up with a great t-shirt, too.

How it works:
      Each product has a Base Price that includes all fees associated with selling. You simply set your retail price above the Base Price. When you sell an item, we keep the base price and we send you the markup.

For example:

* Value T-Shirt has a Base Price of $8.99
       * You decide to Markup the Price to $13.99
       * When you sell one shirt, you generate earnings of $5.00
       * We send you a commission check for your total markups once per month

And for an added does of positive intention to stop the cycle of trouble for inner city kids, why not have the kids donate a buck for each sale to an organization that works with at-risk youths in NYC - to help those kids avoid what our Kommunity Prep kids have already undergone? Just a thought.  The pay it forward concept.

LetsFight. Worst.Message.Board.Handle.Ever. and I can't change it. Fight the radical right is the sentiment!

by letsfight on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 01:15:06 PM PDT

•  I like it (4.00)
        I love Cafe Press. How about if the kids design the shirt? Someone else can Photoshop or scan or whatever it takes to put their original artwork on a T-shirt. That would make it more personal, and cooler. It is all about them, after all.

"I am your king!" "Well, I didn't vote for you." "You don't vote for kings." - Monty Python

by Liberaljentaps on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 03:24:52 PM PDT

•  I meant to say earlier... (4.00)
          ...thanks for this idea - I'm going to talk to the principal about it tommorrow morning.
        •  Another idea re CAFE PRESS (4.00)
          What if we designed a really cool t-shirt that the kids could wear at their day at the dude ranch?

I read the linked story that turtle listed in the diary, and I don't think a lot of us realize how few resources these kids have.  Something as simple as a fresh, crisp and clean T-shirt that is new and groovy and what everyone else is wearing might really help the dude ranch experience.

I mean, anyone else around here remember being 16 and have to participate in an activity and not have the exact right thing to wear for it?  I can remember the horror of just having forgotten my athletic shoes for gym in 7th grade, felt like a real schmuck having to sit out for the class.  Shame.... and I even owned what I needed.

Imagine not having a kick-around-the-country t-shirt.

So, it's a double idea: make a t-shirt to sell to raise money for the field trip; but allow those buying the shirts to donate and ship them to the kids at the school.  Maybe.

by letsfight on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 07:01:05 PM PDT

•  A stellar idea. (4.00)
            Really. I'd buy a fistful of cool t-shirts for the kids, in addition to the check I've already mailed in to the Principal. But it has to be way cool.

We need a design volunteer.

•  I agree. This is a great idea, letsfight. (4.00)
            And I also would be happy to chip in and buy some t-shirts for the kids to wear.

The nice thing about Cafe Press is that a variety of style choices are available, too.  The kids might like hoodies or baseball style jerseys.  I think it'd be great if the kids came up with the design themselves, but surely we could get some talented designer here at dKos to advise or help out if needed.

It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation.

by martianchronic on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 10:02:45 PM PDT

•  Hey attaDave and Martian... (none)
              I wish I could say I had some artistic talent, but I don't.  I bet that Turtle will talk to his girlfriend more about this idea, and if it comes to pass, then we can find someone to lead on the artistic end.  Granted, I think the students could come up with a 'way cool' design that will be fitting.  Hope they do!

by letsfight on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 11:12:09 PM PDT

•  Adopt a School - Info (4.00)
      Adopt a School is a joint initiative between Pencil and the Fund for Public Schools that promotes a type of structured partnership between businesses and schools. Under this program, a business is matched with a school and becomes actively involved in student life. This is an opportunity to make a true difference in the lives of students and teachers.

Businesses are asked to make a minimum one year commitment to a school.  The Adopt a School program requires a four layered commitment on the part of the business: volunteering, fundraising, mentoring and event sponsorship.

In School Volunteering - Management and employees get involved in mentoring, tutoring, volunteering for school projects, or working in the school in a way deemed helpful by the principal. Each business is asked to give a minimum of 5 volunteer hours per week.

Fundraising - Help schools help themselves. Provide financial aid or assistance in fundraising events, or contribute in-kind donations. Businesses are asked to provide a minimum of $10,000 financial or in-kind donation based upon a mutual set of goals aimed at school improvement.

Mentoring - Assist in the professional development of the administrative and teaching staff. Provide the principal and faculty with management assistance, educational resources, consulting services, strategic planning or leadership development.

Sponsor an Event- Work with the school to craft and sponsor an event to support the school community.  Events could include career days, panel speakers, performers, awards ceremonies or recognition events.

Schools and businesses are encouraged to work together to customize the relationship to be mutually beneficial.  We also encourage partners to find other opportunities in the schools in which to participate.  Be creative - consult ourTool Kit to find ways to be involved.

* Follow the program guidelines delineated above
          * Hold meetings with the school leadership
          * Establish goals and create an action plan with the school leadership
          * Make an honest assessment of what resources your business can offer the school
          * Have support for the partnership from senior management
          * Appoint one person as a contact person to work with the school
          * Work with the same school for a minimum of one year

For a more detailed outline of the process needed when forming a business partnership, please refer to our tool kit resource "Steps for a Successful Partnership."

looks like this would have to be ok'd by TPTB here at Kos...because it has to be a business that adopts the school.  This website is a business, isn't it?

Info on Pencil:  http://www.pencil.org/

by letsfight on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 01:22:11 PM PDT

•  I thought this was an awesome idea (4.00)
        when I first read your post, but, as Turtle Bay points out a few comments above, maybe we should be concerned about potential political backlash to Community Prep from being associated with dKos in a prominent way.

I gotta say, I'd be horrified if the Freepers or LGFers were adopting schools.  Maybe it's not appropriate all around.

We can still mentor or have fundraisers without making the relationship "official".

by martianchronic on Thu Apr 21, 2005 at 01:53:11 PM PDT