View Diary: Eugene Robinson nails it (183 comments)

•  It's a cultural thing. I have fish tanks. I love (10+ / 0-)

my fish. But I go fishing and I buy fish and eat fish. It's exactly like the horsemeat thing. Some cultures think it's ok to eat horse and dog and cat. We do not. The fish we keep, African Cichlids, are used as a food source! As much as I hate to say it - if you are starving.....

Sig seen on Redstate: ABO Anybody But Obama. Sorry, I'm stealing that.... Another Barack Opportunity. Vote Obama/Biden 2012!

by mrsgoo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 08:23:04 PM PDT

•  I think I would starve before eating (0+ / 0-)

foxterrierpup or maybe barbecue my neighbor in a pinch; after all, human flesh is a danger due to prions but so is beef as in Mad Cow disease and there are ways to minimize the risk.  Cannibalism is the natural order of things in the wild so only cultural taboos keep us from being on the menu

•  In Peru, guinea pigs are raised for meat. (8+ / 0-)

Called cuy.

I had several pet guinea pigs as a child. I could never eat one.

But I didn't grow up with that.

I have wrung the necks of chickens, though. I did grow up with that.

"In other words, if we bust our butts, there's an even chance things will get better; and if we sit on our butts, there's a major chance things will go completely to hell". --- G2geek

by Lorinda Pike on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 08:53:53 PM PDT

•  A former roommate of mine (3+ / 0-)
        wsexson, ladybug53, Lorinda Pike

and grandson of a one time vice-presidential candidate, was a Peace Corps volunteer in Ecuador working in agricultural extension.  One of his projects involved raising cuy.  The guinea pigs there are much bigger (about the size of chickens) than the dwarfs we find in pet stores.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:55:52 PM PDT

•  That is the most craven and idiotic response (5+ / 0-)

to differences in how cultures treat animals that I have recently seen. That same reasoning makes it unobjectionable to kill gay people and enslave laborers. There is a reason that we abhor especially the mistreatment of cats, dogs and horses--which is not to say that we should care any less about the treatment of pigs and cows and chickens. By the way, there are thousands of people of in Asia doing all they can to stop the torture of dogs. It's not "OK" because it's in a different country.

Pareto Principle: 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

by jeff in nyc on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 09:10:01 PM PDT

•  Regarding the treatment (4+ / 0-)

of dogs in a Buddhist country like Thailand.  For years, the mentality was that a dog was someone who, in a previous life, was not kind and generous, and regressed on the path to nirvana.  So, the life a dog lived was deserved.

Some animal rights groups have used this and turned this idea upsidedown and backwards, so that they argue that if you treat any creature, including dogs, poorly, this will be reflected upon you, as your karma is eventually weighed.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:01:58 PM PDT

•  Karma karma karma karma (2+ / 0-)
          Khun David, PSzymeczek

karma konuh-un-drum.

The whole karma carry-over and reincarnation thing gets believers into some wonderful paradoxes, at least if they follow them through to their logical consequences.

Fortunately for those I know, that's a big 'if'.

And after all, Hare did have a spare pair.

by flaky draky on Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 12:39:11 AM PDT

•  Over the top comment (2+ / 0-)
        Sylv, Catte Nappe

No one is advocating torturing dogs and we don't eat horse meat because horses are routinely treated with drugs that are not approved for food sources.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:19:14 PM PDT

•  Actually the "fish analogy" is the spot-on (5+ / 0-)

even when taken to the (absurd) extreme of noticing that like the boundaries of acceptable diet, the boundaries of who societies protect and who they exploit ARE very much a matter of consensus and convention.

Is cannibalism always "bad"?  Well that IS  the general consensus of people living on  continents.  But, people who live on islands have a more varied and nuanced set of opinions on the topic.

As 21st century (liberal) Americans who have been raised to revere Gandhi, Jesus and Buddha ... if not to actually worship them ... our inclinations might well lead us to feel, and feel strongly that  "all animals are people."  Well, probably more like "all warm-blooded animals remind us of people so much that we shouldn't eat (most of)  them."

I know I feel it myself: great apes should NOT be used for medical experiments, dolphins and whales should not be kept as "animal ambassadors" and the large, long-lived parrots and their habitats ought to be protected.  Because that's the kind of culture I want to belong to, the kind of person I want to be -- but not because the creatures have Godgiven Constitutional Rights, just like you and me.

But splitting the hair over whether horses and dogs are Noble Beasts who may NOT be eaten, whereas cows and sheep are livestock who are destined to be used for food, whereas pigs and monkeys are so much like us that they should be neither domesticated nor eaten --

There are enough solid humanist arguments  for the health and ecological benefits of vegetarian diet without a lot of Veganist finger pointing, name calling and false equivalency mongering.

•  eating something does not mean mistreating it (2+ / 0-)
        blueoasis, elwior

There are perfectly acceptable ways to slaughter and raise animals and then there are truly horrific ways to slaughter and raise animals.

We don't traditionally eat dogs, cats, and horses because they served other purposes.  Cat's aren't going to effectively keep the rat population under control if you are eating them.  Ditto with fido, but dogs and cats are food.

"Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools."

by overclocking on Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 05:10:14 PM PDT

•  Horse meat is not that exotic (2+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe, blueoasis

Horse butchers are fairly common in most of Western Europe (except the British isles). We used to have it somewhat regularly growing up, although I'm not a particular fan of it. Or maybe my mom just got the cheap cuts.

Boehner (n) North German: variant of Böhnhaas - someone who does a job they don't have the qualifications for and who typically delivers shoddy work

by Calouste on Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 12:52:20 AM PDT