View Diary: Act now: House to vote on CISPA Thursday (34 comments)

•  Tipped & recced, & this belongs on the Rec List. (7+ / 0-)

People need to know about this so we can stop it, & fast.

•  Ditto. How many goddam times are they gonna try to (5+ / 0-)

push this crap down our throat.

Every effin month it seems they come up w/another egregious piece of shit bill with another cutesy harmless sounding acronym. We are playing 'whack-a-mole'.

The intent is to desensitize the minimally informed public, and wear the rest of us down.

G2 is right. Pushback is necessary.

•  Until we all are forced.... (4+ / 0-)

... to fork over the money to get the telescreens that spy on us inside our homes/apartments (which makes communications corporations richer, of course, just like insurance, medical, and pharmaceutical corporations are going to profit from us not too long from now (as pharmaceutical ad insurance corporations do now from senior citizens and disabled people).  Y'know.  The kind Winston Smith and that group were forced to endure, awake or asleep in Nineteen eighty-four.

I knew nothing good would come of telecom immunity in the FISA fiasco '08 bill..., which Obama voted FOR, remember.

He couldn't justify his actions then, and neither he nor our Congress Critters can justify it now.

Thanks to the first piece of unconstitutional legislation (the Patriot Act), the encroachment on our civil liberties and our civil rights has become more and more insistent.

George Orwell is banging on the lid of his coffin and screaming, "Nineteen eighty-four was a cautionary tale, you dolts, not a motivational speech!"

by NonnyO on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 05:53:20 PM PDT

•  And how many (3+ / 0-)
          Brown Thrasher, NonnyO, gooderservice

social programs like food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security are going to be slashed to pay for things like the NSA and Homeland Security.  Don't these extra departments require additional funding?  What good is all this security if we don't have jobs, a stable ecomony and social safety nets for the disabled, poor and elderly.

Perhaps, I don't' understand the situation, but I don't want to feel like everything I'm doing is being recorded and monitored like I'm in a prison.  I like it when we were trusted as citizens.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 06:40:42 PM PDT

•  To protect the 1% from democracy, of course. (2+ / 0-)
            zaka1, NonnyO
            We're just the serfs who are supposed to shut up & shop — & tithe the fundy megachurches every Sunday.

All this Heimatsicherheit is simply the 1%ers' means to protect their status from those of us who want to live freely & decently.

Tell Congress: DON'T BREAK THE INTERNET! Fight CISPA! Stop Cyber Spying!

by Brown Thrasher on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 07:00:04 PM PDT

•  I think if the ecomony (3+ / 0-)
              Brown Thrasher, gooderservice, NonnyO

doesn't start growing at a better rate and wages stay depressed and they don't recognized that people are struggling to find employment that pays for a standard of living that covers everything they want us to shell out of pocket for, then yes, people will get upset.  They already are and everyone wants a peaceful resolution to some of the problems that face us, that's all.

But our politicians have lost touch with the 99%.  Seriously, how many of representatives actually have ever lived or currently are living on an income of less than $60,000.00 a year or a fixed income of $12,000.00 a year on disability (and childhood doesn't count).  How can you lead all the people if you don't understand the problems.  That is why the 1% are fine, our politicians can identify with them, but not us.

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 08:16:52 PM PDT

•  Today's "news" brought up... (3+ / 0-)
            zaka1, Brown Thrasher, gooderservice

... the "fix Social Security" meme again.

Poor economy worsens Social Security's finances
            Government: Poor economy, high energy prices, shorten life of Social Security fund by 3 years
            This story was on local ABC "news" earlier this evening.  The phrase they're using now is "Social Security will run dry by 2033."

When the "fix Social Security" meme first started, the realistic people could quote the studies that said "Social Security will NOT be broke in 2037; payments will need to be reduced if FICA is not increased, but it won't be broke."

Now the drums for "fixing Social Security" will really be insistent again.

So much for Obama's tax cut which is the one that cut so much out of FICA.  The Bushista tax cuts were given to big corporations and the uber-rich that already pay little to nothing in taxes, but the Obama tax cut plus the extension of the Bushista tax cuts while continually borrowing money to keep at least one illegal war going and drones being built and dropping bombs in countries with whom we are not at war (yet) is just the height of stupidity.

You're being realistic.  They will cut programs that help people in favor of perpetual and undefined war with ephemeral guerrilla criminals who commit terrorist acts and fade away or die in their attacks... (and I - sadly - think SCOTUS will decide in favor of having us being forced to contribute to insurance, medical, and pharmaceutical profit margins which will give them record-setting profits).

The corporatization of America is developing at an accelerated rate.

Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.
            Benito Mussolini

Fascism, the more it considers and observes the future and the development of humanity, quite apart from political considerations of the moment, believes neither in the possibility nor the utility of perpetual peace.
            Benito Mussolini

by NonnyO on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 07:14:17 PM PDT

•  Thanks NonnyO (3+ / 0-)
              Brown Thrasher, NonnyO, gooderservice

I saw this earlier and being disabled and in my fifties my anxiety level is through the roof.  I'm on my own and seriously have been trying to figure out what am I going do since the ecomony is still not healthy and whatever job I could get would still not be enough to keep housing over my head.  My gut is screaming that they are going to trash both programs, they have all the others and it is being done by increments to get us use to the poverty.

I've lost my trust in believing that things will be taken care of for the people, I just haven't seen that over the last twelve years.  I know my fears are getting to me, but it isn't just about me, it is about so many people out there that are really struggling.

Never, never in my fifty some years have I ever heard government calling its own citizens lazy, stupid, drug addicts, etc.  This to me is a real sign that those in power think their population is worthless, and I have yet heard Democrats speaking out for the poor, disabled, elderly, and children in poverty.  I know I shouldn't be saying this, but I can't go into another election ignoring these things.  I know this sounds crazy, but I think a lot of people are really concerned and no one wants a Republican Presidency either.  And I can't cheer on my own demise either.

And if they only come out during election season and talk about all their concern for us that they have for some reason concealed these last four years, I have a hard time believing in them.  At least when FDR spoke to the citizens and tried to calm down their anxiety he was really working for them, and he inherited a pretty bad situation as well.

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 07:35:06 PM PDT