View Diary: Sean Hannity: Americans don't go to bed hungry, because rice and beans are cheap (231 comments)

•  Eggs.. (10+ / 0-)

The cost of eggs has been going up, and to feed hungry kids on eggs it takes a lot of eggs. One breakfast wipes out most of a dozen (for five of us). That's one of our more expensive breakfasts, making pancakes is relatively cheap, or french toast (fewer eggs)... frozen waffles aren't bad for the kids.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 07:17:16 AM PDT

•  It does bounce about, but I rarely pay more than (3+ / 0-)

$1.50 a dozen for extra large eggs, and that's a lot of nutrition for not much money.

Pancakes are definitely cheaper, and french toast is a great way to stretch out bread that's gone stale, etc.

Sounds like you're a smart nutritionist/economist.

There's nothing wrong with mixing in some stuff that is longer on calories than on other nutrition (the very definition of white rice) in order to stretch the food budget.  In fact, I consider it brilliant -- we need nutrients to build and repair our bodies, but we also need calories to fuel them.

I'll admit this: when I'm not working (a much too common experience these days), it's a lot harder to feed the family than when I am.  Funny thing, though -- we might actually eat better from a nutritional standpoint, if only because I put in that extra effort (and so does my wife) when shopping and cooking (convenience foods are first to go when costs matter).

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 07:42:35 AM PDT

•  1.50 for a dozen eggs... (3+ / 0-)

That's still $8.75 for a week of breakfast, not counting bread and butter for toast, and any eggs you may need for recipe's during the week. I can get cereal for $2 plus $3 for milk and have it last just as long, or I can get a box of frozen waffles for $2 that lasts the kids all week ($8 for a months worth at the bulk store). It sounds cheap but it adds up really quickly.  And thank you, I do the best I can to keep their diet as balanced as possible within our means. Fruit is the one we suffer on the most, not only is it expensive but it doesn't last long and we can only get to the store once a week otherwise transportation costs get too high. Bananas are often the fruit we buy fresh unless there is a very good sale, and those are usually gone in three days. I do have frozen in the freezer, which we add to yogurt (I buy the big inexpensive containers not the little single cheap ones), but my autistic son won't eat the frozen fruit, unless I add it to pancakes lol.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 08:05:47 AM PDT

•  Bananas -- love it, love them. (1+ / 0-)
          Only Needs a Beat

Great choice, and the fruit we buy the most, too.

Great source of potassium, and taste great, too.

We also buy big containers of plain yogurt -- another great choice.

We alternate sometimes, getting greek yogurt instead of regular.  It's a bit more expensive...downside...but much higher in protein...upside.  Makes an amazingly decent substitute for sour cream.

One thing we've "discovered" lately is cabbage.  Real cheap, nutritious...and, if you like it, tasty.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 08:16:25 AM PDT

•  Cabbage.. (2+ / 0-)
            Only Needs a Beat, dinotrac

has always upset my digestive system. So not something we get. Spinach we use though, especially when I can get the salad bags of baby spinach for buy one get one. I love buy one get ones.
            I usually get the vanilla yogurt rather than the plain, but yes, it's a lot cheaper then buying those tiny containers. I also get bulk granola (it's $7, but it lasts me 3-4 months) and make my own parfaits with the frozen fruit, yogurt and granola. Often that's my breakfast.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 08:49:55 AM PDT

•  Lactose intolerance (5+ / 0-)

is a problem in some African-American, Latino and Asian families.

My god-daughter has 5 children - she is Puerto Rican.  The kids could drink goats milk - but goats milk is very very expensive.  Fortunately, we live in the country - so I gave her milk goats, but in the city that is not an option.

"If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition" Bernice Johnson Reagon

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 09:02:05 AM PDT

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (29)
  • Elections (27)
  • Culture (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site