View Diary: Kent State's 40th Anniversary (2010) (65 comments)

•  I've said it before .... (9+ / 0-)

and will say it again -- kainah, please write this book. Those years and especially May 1970 are carved into my soul.
    And although I know that your focus is Kent, you may be interested in reading the posts by 'lao hong han' regarding NYU and Yale at that time.

•  Yale, of course, has a role in this story as well (9+ / 0-)

And I do read lao hong han's posts on this stuff.

As for the book..... I could write the book. That wouldn't be that hard. But I would never be able to get it published. The publishing world has decided this isn't a topic they want to touch. That's been clear for years and there are plenty of rejection slips from any number of publishers to many would-have-been authors (including me, years ago) to prove the point. After all, don't you know that James Michener wrote the "definitive" book already? Of course, the fact that a lot of it was fantasy doesn't seem to matter.... Nixon accomplished the ultimate cover-up when he got Reader's Digest to commission the work from Michener and that cover-up lid remains firmly in effect 40 yrs later.

"The fools are as plentiful as ever." Albert Parsons, Haymarket martyr

by kainah on Fri May 04, 2012 at 12:07:18 PM PDT

•  Self-publish it for Kindle and Nook (7+ / 0-)

I would buy it for sure.  It's easy to convert text into eBook formats.

you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

by Dem Beans on Fri May 04, 2012 at 02:42:38 PM PDT

•  I have thought about that (6+ / 0-)

and it has some appeal. Once I am finished with my current project on the 19th century fur trade -- for a regular old publisher -- I may check into epublishing.

"The fools are as plentiful as ever." Albert Parsons, Haymarket martyr

by kainah on Fri May 04, 2012 at 03:06:24 PM PDT

•  I also know that there are smaller presses that (2+ / 0-)
            kaliope, wildcat6

would probably publish it.  http://www.akpress.org/ is one.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri May 04, 2012 at 10:55:38 PM PDT

•  Kainah, how would you rank (0+ / 0-)

the books on the subject of Kent State?

James Michener
            Peter Davies
            I.F. Stone
            Bill Gordon
            Joe Eszterhas
            Philip Caputo

Of these, I have only read the Davies book in full, and perused the Michener book.  Some of them are out of print for sure, but I wanted to get your opinion.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

by wildcat6 on Sat May 05, 2012 at 12:27:58 PM PDT

•  hmmmm..... (2+ / 0-)
              wildcat6, ohiojack

The purpose behind several of them seems quite different than others so this isn't necessarily easy, but I'll give it a shot.

Davies always at the top for me.
              Eszterhas & Roberts -- at the top for a general narrative history
              IF Stone -- tops for polemical discussion
              Bill Gordon -- great if you really know the ins and outs but I am afraid it is so intricate that it would lose any casual reader
              Caputo -- filled with careless & unnecessary errors which annoy the hell out of me; clearly the book was done too quickly with no intention of being much more than an accompaniment to the included video -- and the video is worth the price of the book. Buy for the video.
              Michener -- a good read but know that it was written to support the "such a tragedy, no one's responsible" line of defense and that large parts of it are made up out of whole cloth.

A couple you didn't mention:  Scott Bills "Kent State/May 4th" pulls together a lot of essays and assorted writings from a number of different sources. Has some interesting stuff in it.  James Munves's "The Kent State Cover-Up" is about the civil trial and is skewed because his primary goal was to say "it's not my fault that the plaintiffs lost the civil trial" -- but it is good in bringing to life some of the jaw-droppingly anti-plaintiff legal obstacles that were thrown in the path of any possibility of attaining justice. And there's a little book called "In the Middle of the Country" that was written by Kent State students after they scattered in the months immediately after the shootings. It's been a long time since I read that one -- it would probably be one of the hardest to find -- but it was really powerful just for the raw emotion and the shocked sense of betrayal they felt.

I definitely wish there was one good narrative history that I could recommend ... but, alas, there isn't. Which continues to feed that sense that I should write it but so many obstacles to that. Maybe self-published ebook is the way to go.

"The fools are as plentiful as ever." Albert Parsons, Haymarket martyr

by kainah on Sat May 05, 2012 at 01:45:17 PM PDT

ohiojack, kainah

for wading through that subject.

Hope you write the book...somehow...sometime!

by wildcat6 on Sat May 05, 2012 at 02:24:06 PM PDT

•  Writing the book (1+ / 0-)
                  wildcat6

For some reason, today, more than in abt 20 yrs, the thought of it is resonating. We'll see how the idea sits over the next couple of weeks.

"The fools are as plentiful as ever." Albert Parsons, Haymarket martyr