View Diary: Teabaggers are technically 'delusional', as are many Republicans. (157 comments)

•  mania is an illness. (15+ / 0-)

Treated with medication.

Relatively easy to address. Baggers are not ill...just sorta hopeless.

#occupywallstreet: Although I know the rhythm you'd prefer me dancing to, I'll turn my revolt into style.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Apr 27, 2012 at 07:17:21 PM PDT

•  Mania is an Ilness (7+ / 0-)
      Treatable by medication....relatively easily addressed.
      Not to nitpick, but as many who have lived with persons suffering from this illness are aware, the availability of effective treatment does not necessarily equate with treatment being successful or easy, relatively or otherwise.

In my more than 20 years of very very personal experience with one who shall remain nameless, Mania in particular has a counter-productive inbuilt dynamic whereby the experience for the afflicted can be exhilarating, even revelatory complete with a sense of omniscience, secret knowledge, unlimited personal significance, and other forms of self aggrandizing delusion. Sufferers may contrast those sensations with the 'flattened' emotions that accompany, say, haloperidol and/or lithium and decide that compliance with the medication is just not as emotionally rewarding as having conversations with Abe Lincoln or dead cousin Jimmy.

Whether some clinically diagnosed people 'decide' not to comply with treatment or are simply unable to due to neurochemical or other organic deficits is a debatable proposition, but in the larger political context discussed here I believe the issue of the disease being preferable to the cure is relevant. Most illnesses present along a spectrum from negligible to pathological, and while Teabaggery has no entry in the DSM and is therefore, by definition, not a mental illness, I think that it is quite clearly as pointed out above a delusional condition adopted by its adherents because, like some clinical patients, it feels better than reality.

Moreover, whatever the vector and mechanism, a disorder becomes an disease when it results in significant pathologies, when it damages the body personal or, as in this case, the body politic. I'm (quite) a bit more argumentative than the original poster and have gone toe to toe and eye to eye with a fair number of Bag-heads on their own turf. In my estimation its all about insecurity; a profound sense vulnerability in a world that is rapidly changing out of all recognition. Analysis and rationalism are the enemy because it is profoundly dysphoric for those unwilling or unable to exert the constant mental and emotional effort required to even vaguely comprehend the forces that are really shaping their lives. Its much more entertaining to be part of a righteous crusade for...whatever.

This is essentially religion by another name; a short list of simple answers (Obama=Sum of all Evil) to a long list of complicated questions, facts and the laws of physics be damned. While religiosity is not in itself an illness, when you support people who shoot doctors, bomb clinics and would if they could blow off the President's head, THAT is definitely a disease, whatever its provenance. Perhaps we could call it Crypto-Religious Quasi-Manic Delusional Social Pathology; CQDSP, with a poor prognosis for the afflicted, and for anybody else caught in the crosshairs, and not at all

relatively easily addressed

Just getting a handle on the knobs and dials.... Hey, don't touch that!

by Old Lefty on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 04:35:22 AM PDT

•  Clarification: "technically" easily treatable. (8+ / 0-)

Our heinous healthcare system stands in the way and exacerbates most mental mental illnesses.

Many of the ravages of 'schizophrenia' are those of neglect, not of the actual mental illness.

Managed care is about the worst thing ever to happen to mental illness.

by xxdr zombiexx on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 05:30:43 AM PDT

•  Quality of care was not the issue (5+ / 0-)

We had very good, expensive coverage from my professional employment. Compliance with treatment was the issue. While it is quite impossible for me to be entirely objective, I had a great deal of opportunity to observe the dynamics, to put it mildly, of the afflicted persons illness, and there was clearly an element of embracing the illness because the treatment was unpleasant and morally difficult, in terms of side effects, will power and plain and simple character, or the lack thereof.

And that's the more general point I am trying to make in the specifically socio-political context of this discussion. Clinical mental illness narrowly defined its not, but Teabaggery IS  a social disease with pathological effects on the body politic and is contracted and spreads because its more fun than the hard work of living in the real world.

Just getting a handle on the knobs and dials.... Hey, don't touch that!

by Old Lefty on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 06:11:35 AM PDT

•  A friend was married for twenty years to a woman (7+ / 0-)

with bipolar disorder. He was a very supportive spouse, raised the children largely single handedly (and actually during her hospitalizations). She however did tend to go off her medications and the last time around fell in with some naturists who persuaded her they were "chemicals." During that episode she attacked him with a knife and left him needing thirty stitches. As the children were adults by then he finally sought a divorce.

I'm glad to say that about two years after that he found a very good life companion and married her. I suspect that in the final tally he will have more years of happily married life than not.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 06:20:38 AM PDT

•  Holy paralell lives, Wee Mama (4+ / 0-)

With the knives and the kids and the...similar but not identical. Gory details aside though I'm the still single proud Papa of three warrior women whose up and coming five warrior princesses all now listen to the songs I used to sing to their mamas while the storm raged outside their bedroom door; House of the Rising Sun, Amazing Grace and Swing low sweet Chariot, with a little less of the basso profundo though.

The health of the soul is a precious thing and the Bag-Heads are not helping that of our beloved country I'm very sorry to say.

Just getting a handle on the knobs and dials.... Hey, don't touch that!

by Old Lefty on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 06:56:47 AM PDT

•  XXDR - I'm jumping in here (5+ / 0-)

to counter some of these thoughts. I disagree (respectfully, but forcefully) with your comment,

just try to just leave the teabaggers alone. Accept your powerlessness over their nuttiness and move along.
      They are deeply affecting my life. The TP  - just a few, extremely loud and totally delusional people - have taken over my county's zoning and comprehensive planning. They have convinced our county commissioners to dismiss plans for considering clean energy. They are convinced the UN is taking over the county, and that only 300 to 500k people will be allowed to remain alive as caretakers of our national parks (the rest of us, through said zoning, will be rounded up 'like jews' and exterminated). Bike paths are part of this grand conspiracy. As is anything to do with the word sustainability.

And don't even get me started on Chem Trails, the government's plot to kill us all with jet-stream poisoning.

I would be happy to diary this separately, if there's interest, but I am BEYOND frustrated that these delusional folks are having really serious impact on the local and national conversation.

I have no idea  how to counter their bile, but they are seriously moving the conversation further right - so much further right that our here-to-fore conservative but normal county commissioners are now spewing the same hate. Allowing the goal post to be moved in this game of triangulation is desperately dangerous.

"I can't do it by myself. No president can. Remember: Change doesn't happen from the top. It happens because of you." B Obama, 2008

by nzanne on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 07:23:12 AM PDT