View Diary: Dems only need 25 seats to win the House (113 comments)

•  Pelosi (1+ / 0-)
    Jim P

came out last week for cutting our social safety net with her endorsement of Simpson Bowles.

•  uh oh. (4+ / 0-)
      Jim P, G2geek, elwior, samddobermann

that doesn't sound like her,

sure it wasn't just "tactics".

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.
      -- Maslow ...... my list.

by jamess on Tue May 01, 2012 at 08:07:47 PM PDT

•  thx for the link ... I'll check it out. (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

still I bet her position,

is better than Ryan's

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.
          -- Maslow ...... my list.

by jamess on Tue May 01, 2012 at 08:20:52 PM PDT

•  it seems her support is very qualified (4+ / 0-)

with some strong bedrock conditions:

[...]
          At the end of March, a version of the Simpson-Bowles plan was given a vote on the House floor. It was annihilated, 382-38, with Pelosi and most Democrats voting against it.

But Pelosi, the day after the vote, said that she could still support the plan if it stuck more closely to the original version put out by Simpson and Bowles. "I felt fully ready to vote for that myself, thought it was not even a controversial thing ... When we had our briefing with our caucus members, people felt pretty ready to vote for it. Until we saw it in print," she said. "It was more a caricature of Simpson Bowles, and that's why it didn't pass. If it were actually Simpson-Bowles, I would have voted for it."

Yet when the Simpson-Bowles plan had been originally unveiled, Pelosi called it "simply unacceptable."

In early April, Pelosi was asked about her initial opposition. "My problem with it was what it did as far as Social Security is concerned. Apart from that we said, there's a lot to work with," she told Charlie Rose. "It was a good framework in terms of revenue and in terms of cuts, in terms of defense spending and the rest. It was very bold."
          [...]

"Social Security is a bedrock promise to our seniors: Democrats have fought efforts to dismantle and privatize Social Security, and we will continue to do so. Leader Pelosi has been a leader in that fight. After a lifetime of work and contributions, Americans have a right to the economic security they were promised in retirement," Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami said in a statement. "Leader Pelosi supports a balanced approach to reduce the deficit while growing the economy, but believes any plans regarding Social Security must extend its solvency, protect benefits, and be dealt with on a separate table so that any savings go into the Social Security Trust Fund. Leader Pelosi has consistently fought for maintaining our bedrock promise to seniors and will continue to do so."

What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.
          -- Maslow ...... my list.

by jamess on Tue May 01, 2012 at 08:32:10 PM PDT

•  That's why we need ... (4+ / 0-)

Speaker Pelosi. She is rock solid. We need 25, and could really use the 35, newly Democratic seats.

There are some real Tea Party idjuts that need to be targeted for electoral destruction with money bombs. (Wow, sorry for all the war words.). I'm sure there's a better way to say it, but they need to be first on the list of people to go, and I'll be happy to jump in the line to donate to their opponents.

This is a great diary, and it is the diary that tells me, "Play ball!"  It is the real start of the election cycle.

"I'm Mitt Romney, and I'm the real Mitt Romney. All the other Mitt Romneys are just mass-debating." -- Mittbot ver.12.0

by Tortmaster on Tue May 01, 2012 at 09:03:05 PM PDT

•  No (0+ / 0-)

I don't like what she is saying. The original Simpson Bowle's plan was a slash and burn also. It just was a little better then the Ryan plan because the evil idiot's plan lowered taxes by a large amount on the rich and the corporations.

•  I never heard the answer to if Pelosi followed (2+ / 0-)
        jamess, elwior

Gephardt's rule that the biggest money-raiser had the biggest exposure in the Democratic Caucus? Meaning those less money-driven were relegated to being relatively quiet voices, whatever their other merits.

I know Kaptur threw her hat in the ring at the last minute back when Pelosi was first selected as Dem House Leader; raising that very objection, and Kaptur's wish to end that practice her reason for running.

Dem majority? Life couldn't be better (except 60 Senators). Nancy Pelosi? Has her good points, but mainly we need someone less accepting of the status quo, imo. The status quo holds to the line "we need austerity, not ending the wars of national suicide."

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue May 01, 2012 at 08:54:14 PM PDT

•  Kaptur will chair appropriations (3+ / 0-)
          jamess, elwior, Jim P

if Democrats take over. I've gotten to know her since a whole boatload of the Cleveland area is now in her district, and I like her. (I'm in the next district east, 11, represented by the very excellent Marcia Fudge).

Take the "Can't(or)" out of Congress. Support E. Wayne Powell in Va-07. http://www.ewaynepowell.com/

by anastasia p on Tue May 01, 2012 at 09:58:00 PM PDT

•  I don't go with Kaptur on all her positions (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, jamess

but she strikes me as a real plain-dealer. No B.S. about her, and serious about public service. Is that you're impression?

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue May 01, 2012 at 10:59:37 PM PDT