View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/4 (323 comments)

•  CT-Sen: Entertaining Shays interview (17+ / 0-)

My father pointed me to this remarkable enough interview Chris Shays did on local public radio.  While he was articulate enough at many points, there were a couple of remarkable moments:

1. In response to a caller asking, basically, how Shays could justify having been a Conscientious Objector during Vietnam but voted for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ("you don't get to pick and choose which wars are good wars"), Shays actually responded with:

I happen to, in my own personal life, be pro-life, not pro-choice, but I believe that every person should decide that for themselves.  I didn't take away someone's right to be a conscientious objector in Iraq or Afghanistan or anywhere else.

[...]

[When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait] I wrestled with the fact that, I don't believe in war, I don't believe in killing--though I am for the death penalty--so welcome to a kind of change in my attitude.  And that developed over the last twenty years.

Who the hell voluntarily brings up abortion--especially a Republican in a blue state--in their response to a question about another divisive issue?  And then also brings up the death penalty?  And does this analogy make any sense at all?

Even the moderator was apparently thrown for a loop, and asked him later if he would vote pro-life or pro-choice.  Shays, perhaps understandably, said he had a long pro-choice voting record, and the moderator was like "you also said a lot of things have changed in your mind, just now, over the course of twenty years!  You just said that!"  It's almost like a comedy

2. In response to a question about the Affordable Care Act, Shays said he'd repeal it, then "then listed off the things he likes about the ACA" as the article says, then some criticisms, then it eventually ended with this exchange:

Shays: You call it the Affordable Health Care Act?  There's nothing affordable about it.

Moderator (sounding somewhat uncontrollably annoyed): I didn't call it, I mean, that's what it's called.

3. But by far--by far--the worst part, which was when I stopped listening in disgust, was when he was reminiscing about the economic crash, and made something like this aside:
    Shays: Darien, the center of my district.
    Now you listen to me, Shays.  Fairfield County is the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk metro area.  Or maybe Greater Bridgeport,  or the Bridgeport-Stamford NECTA since we don't have Danbury and so on.

But one thing CT-04 is not, and never will be, is goddamn Darien-centered.  Darien has many things--"four country clubs, a hunt club, and two yacht clubs", a notorious history as an anti-Semitic "sundown town", a median household income of $160,000, and a population that voted 2-1 for Linda McMahon.  But one thing it does not have is the economic, cultural, or geographic center of Connecticut's Fourth District.  You so-called Representative.

26, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-14 (formerly PA-02/NY-12).

by Xenocrypt on Fri May 04, 2012 at 10:43:13 AM PDT

•  So we shouldn't be as worried about (2+ / 0-)
      bumiputera, MichaelNY

him if he somehow gets past McMahon in the primary?

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:27:02 AM PDT

•  I'd still be worried (4+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14, dc1000, KingofSpades, MichaelNY

He's a much better candidate than McMahon, I think.  And as David Nir pointed out to me, he ran far ahead of McCain, even as he lost.  But there's a reason they call him "Both Ways Shays".

by Xenocrypt on Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:33:46 AM PDT

•  Yes, I recall (5+ / 0-)

he suddenly turned against the Iraq war in 2006 right before the election and narrowly won because of that. Then right after that supported the surge and continued backing funding for the war and opposed several Democratic withdrawal bills.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:51:27 AM PDT

•  Try listening to that interview (5+ / 0-)

At some point, on Iraq, he says something like:

I lost an election because I was wrong. I voted for what I believe to be true. And I will continue to vote for what I believe to be true.
            Going from "I was wrong" to "I will continue to make similar decisions" in mere moments!

by Xenocrypt on Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:58:44 AM PDT

•  And there was another exchange (4+ / 0-)

That went something (I'm not bothering to transcribe exactly anymore) like:

Caller: How can I trust you when you voted with a president who lied to Congress?

Shays (opening a longer response): That's a great question.

by Xenocrypt on Fri May 04, 2012 at 12:00:14 PM PDT

• Recommended (155)
  • Community (70)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Law (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Civil Rights (30)
  • Environment (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Culture (29)
  • Barack Obama (25)
  • Science (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Health Care (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site