View Diary: Obama lights up the crowd in Ohio, to kickoff the Campaign (89 comments)

•  GOP today saw what they haven't seen since 2008 (38+ / 0-)

When President Obama wants to fight - he fights to win.

President Obama is now in fighting mode.  Game, set, match - Obama will win in 2012 - bigtime.

Put any Obama rally up against future Romney rallies and see who has more enthusiasm and who can inspire a crowd more.

GOP and the superPACs must be sh*ting themselves now after seeing that barnburner.  Obama will ride this stump speech to victory - I am sure.

•  Wish We'd Had Him in 2010, and Hope to See (15+ / 0-)

him come out stronger for the 2014 midterms.

by Gooserock on Sat May 05, 2012 at 01:40:40 PM PDT

•  I think we have good things (13+ / 0-)

to look forward to in his second term.   we did have good things come out in his first term :)

•  With all due respect (10+ / 0-)

Maybe the DNC and the Dems in Congress should have fought harder.  I didn't see the hard hitting ads and rallies that could have happened leading into 2010.  I love Pelosi but she literally acted like she was in denial about the likely outcome of the election.  A president is a president, not a wizard.  The outcome of 2010 was partially reliant on the down ballot Dems having the ferocity of sheep in a wave election year.

I vote Democratic because I am a woman with self-respect , who rejects bigotry of all kinds, subscribes to science, believes in universal health care, embraces unions, and endorses smart internationalist foreign policy.

by Delilah on Sat May 05, 2012 at 03:43:36 PM PDT

•  A senior historian (3+ / 0-)
          luckylizard, Delilah, elwior

just estimated that Harry Reid has been the most effective senate leader in modern history. In his role as a leader, I guess I can't fault him, although I do not like him as a senator.

That said, the senate and House Dems sucked.

Thank you to jayden, Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN, Aji and everyone in the Daily Kos community involved in gifting my subscription and gifting others!

by Nulwee on Sat May 05, 2012 at 04:58:18 PM PDT

•  Boooooooooooo Hissssssssssssss n/t (0+ / 0-)

Back in the "Real" America there was a 70% tax rate.

by NCJim on Sat May 05, 2012 at 07:09:08 PM PDT

•  I totally applaud (0+ / 0-)

Reid for holding his seat in a shitty election year by defying the odds and showcasing the power of the joint Hispanic and union turnout.  He was certainly more successful than Daschle in 2002 -- another shitty year for us.   That said, I found the overall effort to hold key Senate and House seats to be pathetic.  Where was the "fight to the death" energy?  I love Feingold but he allowed himself to lose that election.  And how the hell did a Republican take the president's seat?  And I can't even discuss some of the losses we endured in the House without wanting to hit someone.   It is facile, in my view, to drop the blame at the door of the president for such a wide-reaching bloodbath, that could have been less fatal, had the Dems showed more spine.  To be honest, Reid  was a good lesson in old fashioned, pro-base grassroots turnout, defy-the-odds, politics.  We need more of that in 2012 and moving  forward as we deal with the repercussions of Citizens United.

by Delilah on Sat May 05, 2012 at 10:40:17 PM PDT

•  I wish he had us in 2010. (4+ / 0-)
        Diogenes2008, jalenth, michelewln, askew

This site sat back and watched.

The White Guy - 2012

by kitebro on Sat May 05, 2012 at 05:17:16 PM PDT

•  I think people forgot all the campaigning (8+ / 0-)

President Obama did for house and senate candidtaes who were running for election or reelection and told people NOT to give the keys back to the Republicans.

Remember the speech about getting the car out of the ditch, muddy and banged up, but the car is out of the ditch and now the Republicans want the keys back.  They can't drive.

Yeah. lots of people dissed that message, but he was out there.  And then the whole, what hasn't he done in two years and progressives got their feelings hurt for being called the "Professional Left".  Yeah, people decided to stay home and not vote to teach Dems a lesson.  I heard and I read it when they did and when they regretted doing so.  Cause now the Tea party got in to Congress and State Reps and started the anti women and Union busting agenda.

Obama tried to warn people about letting the Republicans get back in office, but folks didn't listen.

Don't blame him now.

•  He was out there in 2010 (11+ / 0-)

all the time.  He did a rally in Madison Wisconsin that was amazing, and many other places as well.  Everyone still seems to want to find the wand that's going to make the nasty right and all their money and three decades of legislative power and laws go away in a couple of years.  And that wand's name is usually Obama.

Sometimes those who diss others for thinking he walks on water seem to be the ones who most expect him to.

What I will grant you is that in 2010 Obama was not the Obama of today.  He has evolved as the president, come to some new understandings of the forces aligned against him, as well as some humility about how far one can get trying to be "president to everyone."

If you read about him through his college years on, you understand this was his dream, and that dream was indeed up front and center as part of the speech that electrified the 2004 convention---the first time this country sat up and said, "hey, who's that guy?

The president is at heart, a consensus builder, not a revolutionary.  He'd rather take an inch forward that works and build on that, than risk a catastrophic mile backwards.

But I think from here on out, this president is going to surprise many with just how tough he can be.  And if you tell me that's all about his need to be re-elected, I'll remind you that after his duty to this country, his second most important duty is to the Democratic Party, to getting himself and his down ticket re-elected.  If he fails at that, everything else is academic.

I think this country is going to see a tougher, more hard boiled candidate than they saw in 2008, or 2010, but not for lack of effort on his part in the past.  Simply the evolution of what happens to a SMART man after a couple of years of being the president of this country.