View Diary: Tree Climbers: "accusers 11 through 17 as well as 18 through an unknown number..." (14 comments)

•  Roxine, do you have more details yet (6+ / 0-)

to share about the silent protest at the courthouse?  I can't see any way for me to make it then.  But I'm sure others will want to come.

And perhaps I can do something to help out beforehand with planning or logistics.

"Safety and security are the result of collective consensus. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - Nelson Mandela. Donate to TREE Climbers

by TX Freethinker on Sat May 05, 2012 at 07:53:56 PM PDT

•  We are still working on logistics, but our plan is (5+ / 0-)

to stand in solidarity for the boys - we want to wear Tree Clibmers shirts (yet to be ordered!) and Tree Climbers Bracelets (a'la Livestrong bracelets - in fabrication as we speak) and encourage the media to both respect and protect the victims as they enter and leave the courthouse.

We also want to show the victims that they do not stand alone.  That we are there for them - that we hear them, we see them, we believe them, and we honor them.

The tentative start date is May 15th but they haven't confirmed that - so it's difficult to make plans just yet.

Will certainly let everyone know soon - but don't want to lock anything in before we know the trial is going to start.  I fully expect some sort of delay at least to the tentative May 15 start date.

"...I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul" Invictus - William Ernest Henley Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by Roxine on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:04:34 PM PDT

•  Is fund raising going well? (2+ / 0-)
        Mannie, Roxine

Do you have what you need to pay for the shirts, bracelets, etc.?

by TX Freethinker on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:20:05 PM PDT

•  Fund raising is slow - (3+ / 0-)
          TX Freethinker, HappyinNM, 2thanks

but we were fortunate to have a "seed" donation so we do have money in the bank!

Of course, we haven't really made a "plea" - Rebecca wants to roll out the entire 5 part series before making a big push for donations.

I was at the Red Door Spa today and was talking (of course) about Tree Climbers with my clinician - she must have talked to the branch manager about it, for she came out to talk to me about submitting an information sheet on our organization that she could present to corporate.

They want to run a nation-wide fund raiser for us!

With a charity there's never "enough" money, (smile) but yes, we have enough for the shirts/bracelets.

It is our goal to maintain less than 20% overhead costs - putting 80%+ towards programmatic costs.

It should be noted, however, that Rebecca is currently devoting 100% of her time to the charity and is receiving zero compensation for it.

I've been holding off on going after big corporate donations until we get our determination letter from the IRS.  I anticipate it within the next 3-4 months (but check my mail every day with high hopes!)

by Roxine on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:34:49 PM PDT

•  They [IRS] sure cashed that big check quickly! n/t (1+ / 0-)
            2thanks

by Roxine on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:45:05 PM PDT

•  Great news on the possible nation-wide fund raiser (2+ / 0-)
            Roxine, 2thanks

Not so great on the slow rate of donations so far.

Is Rebecca keeping track of her hours?  That would be a good thing to show to prospective donors.  And it would also make it easier to justify a salary for her at some point, once donations increase enough to make that a feasible option.

by TX Freethinker on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:48:12 PM PDT

•  I already have it in the budget for her to have a (2+ / 0-)
              TX Freethinker, 2thanks

salary for 1/2 of this year.  And, in about 6 weeks, they will be here!  So I'm very excited about that!

I'm not too worried - we are building slowly and I know the donations will follow suit.  There are many people working behind the scenes and some big news may be just around the corner :)

by Roxine on Sat May 05, 2012 at 08:56:14 PM PDT

•  "some big news may be just around the corner :)" (2+ / 0-)
                Roxine, 2thanks

I can't wait to hear it!

by TX Freethinker on Sat May 05, 2012 at 09:05:22 PM PDT