View Diary: Mitt Romney In High School: Homophobic Bully (189 comments)

•  What's the point? (3+ / 0-)
    Hastur, Delilah, elwior

We can't even get the media to talk about this.  MSNBC is about to cut to a story about Ann Romney touting "motherhood."  Not a peep all morning about Romney being a gay-bashing high school bully.

Switch the word "Romney" with "Obama" in the WaPo story, and wait for the outrage.  You wouldn't have to wait very long.

12 years with Parkinson's disease made me retire, but it didn't stop me. Visit my home page at The Ex-Examiner Examines the News.

by Bill Schmalfeldt on Thu May 10, 2012 at 09:40:24 AM PDT

•  Isn't WaPo "the media"? (4+ / 0-)
      TomP, Question Authority, Delilah, elwior

And none of the teevee types are going to spend much time on it as written - but I bet you they are out there trying to contact some of those friends and classmates in the story to get a soundbite, if not an exclusive interview. Have patience.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:23:23 AM PDT

•  Luke Russert mentioned it... in passing (3+ / 0-)
        TomP, Delilah, elwior

At 1:12, while talking to a "Young Republican," Luke Russert brought up the WaPo story.  It was a story in which "Romney was accused of doing some dumb things in high school for which he has apologized. Do you think this will be an issue in November?"

And what do you suppose the young Republican said?

That is the extent of what MSNBC has had to say on this story, and I've had it on in the background since I heard about this story earlier today.

by Bill Schmalfeldt on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:26:41 AM PDT

•  And that will change IF (2+ / 0-)
          elwior, TomP

One of the media outlets gets its own take on the story. An interview with the sister, or one or more of the classmates named in the story, or other classmates who will be "scoops" beyond what the WaPo reported. I am betting one or more network/cable newsers are out there trying hard to make that happen. And you may not see results for days or even weeks.

by Catte Nappe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 12:10:18 PM PDT

•  HERE we go! (3+ / 0-)
          elwior, wxorknot, TomP

Didn't take long at all, really.

Phillip Maxwell, an attorney in Michigan, confirmed to CBS News that the incident with John Lauber is accurately described in The Washington Post piece. Maxwell was one of the Post's four on-the-record sources. A fifth asked not to be named. Maxwell says the only thing not accurate is that the Post reporter said the incident occurred in a dorm room, but it happened in a common room.

"Mitt was a prankster, there's no doubt about it. This thing with Lauber wasn't a prank. This was, well, as a lawyer, it was an assault. It was an assault and a battery. And I'm sure that John Lauber carried it with him for the rest of his life," Maxwell told CBS News.

White, in an interview with ABC News, said that he is “still debating” whether he will help the campaign, remarking, “It’s been a long time since we’ve been pals.” While the Post reports White as having “long been bothered” by the haircutting incident,”
          One former classmate and old friend of Romney’s – who refused to be identified by name – said there are “a lot of guys” who went to Cranbrook who have “really negative memories” of Romney’s behavior in the dorms, behavior this classmate describes as “like Lord of the Flies.”

by Catte Nappe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 01:40:35 PM PDT

•  Why is it that everyone else there remembers (2+ / 0-)
            Catte Nappe, TomP

the incident except Willard?

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Thu May 10, 2012 at 02:46:27 PM PDT

•  Two possible choices (2+ / 0-)
              TomP, elwior

1. Willard is lying
              2. Everyone else there has core values of human decency and found these incidents memorable for both their rarity in their experience, and their unusual deviation from what they knew to be appropriate behavior. Willard has no core value of human decency and found the incidents normal, routine, and thus forgettable.

by Catte Nappe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 02:55:38 PM PDT