View Diary: Mitt Romney already Etch A Sketching his high school 'prank' of assaulting his gay classmate (409 comments)

•  Not apologizing for this idiot (4+ / 0-)

but I wish the focus of the discussion would stay on things Mitt has done as an adult or during his political career.

50 years is a long time, and there are any number of Democratic politicians in recent history who had much worse skeletons in their closet than being a dick in high school. (See recent Senate President Pro Tem and former Klansman Robert Byrd, or river and booze connosieur Ted Kennedy).

Seriously, this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are any number of horrible things Mitt has done to supress gay rights in the last decade.

•  Agreed. (2+ / 0-)
      ultraviolet uk, coffeetalk

I think one diary was enough about this, I'm sure Mitt was an asshole in high school, but I don't think it's all that relevant.

•  It does speak to his character (7+ / 0-)

And his character is mean and hateful. That's entirely relevant.

•  If everything I did as a teenager (0+ / 0-)

supposedly "spoke to" my character as an adult, well, that would be a really, really, really difficult thing -- I doubt anybody could get over that.

What you do as an adult "speaks to" your character as an adult.

•  It's The Difference Between "Stupid" and "Evil" (2+ / 0-)
          jcitybone, greenbell

If people judged me by the worst things I did as a teenager, they'd conclude that I was a flake who shouldn't be trusted with serious responsibilities, but basically harmless.

If people judged Mitt by incidents like this, they'd conclude that he's a dangerous sociopath who ought to be watched closely and put in jail as soon as he (probably sooner rather than later) does something that deserves a prison sentence.

On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass.

by stevemb on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:18:38 AM PDT

•  Hmm. Did you ever get into a fight in high school (1+ / 0-)
            VClib

where you hit another kid?  How about break the law by drinking?  How about something that  spoke directly to honesty and character, like plagiarizing all or part of a paper, or cheating on a test, or even lying to your teachers?  Or how about bullying another kid by making fun of them for being overweight, or a nerd, or wearing glasses, or whatever?

Should we judge all adults based on whether they did this kind of thing as teenagers?  Should the WaPo launch a major investigation into the President's high school years?

I completely agree that both the President and Romney should be judged by what they did.  But I would judge both of them on what they've done as adults.  I wouldn't condone looking into whether the President did any of those kinds of things as a teenager so as to use that as a basis to judge him as an adult.

•  It's a single piece of the puzzle (1+ / 0-)
              Zack from the SFV

Combine this with his disregard for the family dog, his verbal gaffes such as "I like firing people who provide me services" and "Corporations are people", and his total inability to understand what the average American is dealing with, and you come up with someone who'd be better qualified to be a dictator of some tiny country with the population of about 200.

Mitt Romney: the Etch-A-Sketch candidate in the era of YouTube

by Cali Scribe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:58:39 AM PDT

•  Welp (1+ / 0-)
                VClib

The firing people comment is another one that should have been a non-issue and only became an issue because people looking to score points intentionally took the quote of context.

Again, there are plenty of actual things to hammer Mitt with. There's no reason to create outrage about crap like this when all it does is obscure the things that are actually outrageous.

•  It's the difference between (0+ / 0-)

hijinks and cruelty.

That streak of cruelty seems to be something he has not outgrown.

•  Did you ever gang assault someone (0+ / 0-)

Hold them down, cut their hair and do something to publicly humiliate them?  If so, you should be doing public service, publicly admitting and atoning for your wanton behavior.  I don't see Romney doing that, at all.  I'm judging Romney by how he is reacting NOW.  It isn't only what he did 40+ years ago, it is how he acted and what he said when confronted with his previous actions.  What I see is a man that treats people the same way today as he treated people when he was a teenager, and I do not like what I see.

•  If we found out he had committed (7+ / 0-)

rape as a teenager would you still feel this way?

I'm just trying to understand where the line is for how brutal an act needs to be before you say "kids being kids".

•  Nice try, buddy. (0+ / 0-)

But I never said that. In fact, I said I wasn't apologizing for him, and then, I even provided other examples of people who did horrible things in the past that went on to be accepted (and even "lionized") by significant portions of the voting population. And then, I even suggested that Mitt actually is scum, and let's focus on the relevent bits of his scumminess.

50 years from now, though, I will make sure to bring up your horrific abuse of strawmen as a reflection of your character. I'm sure that won't stop you from finding new and improved ways of getting offended by things that aren't offensive, though!

•  This sounds like making excuses for him to me (2+ / 0-)
          greenbell, vacantlook
          As I said, this was way more than "being a dick in high school".
          •  Cool. (0+ / 0-)

You're right, man. It is much better to turn this into a shitstorm that will be able to be played as petty attacks on someone doing something mean to one dude when he was a kid during this one-time opportunity to have a media shark attack on Mitt Romney's bigotry rather than focusing on the things he has done recently to oppress an entire class of person.

Makes total sense.

•  If he showed any sense of remorse (3+ / 0-)
              Zack from the SFV, 417els, Julia Grey

(like Byrd did about his involvement in the KKK), then it would be understandable to call this just a youthful screwup and move forward. But to do this sort of thing and then brush it aside. especially in the context of the rest of his life, is to ignore a major red flag.

This is not a "prank" -- this is assault, clear and simple, and to brush this off is to tell the rest of the bullies out there that they get a free pass. As one who was bullied in school and whose bullies got that free pass, this cannot stand.

Mitt Romney: the Etch-A-Sketch candidate in the era of YouTube

by Cali Scribe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 11:06:49 AM PDT

•  Sure (0+ / 0-)

I can understand your frustration at feeling like he is getting a free pass, even though it is causing him drama on a national scale nearly half a century later.

But there is a window to dominate the news cycle, and wasting on this is absolutely stupid when you take the things he's done to oppress gay rights during next 50 years of his life into account. It is like burning down a forest so the loggers can't cut down your favorite tree.

•  We've got 5 months (0+ / 0-)

to focus on the rest of the crap Romney's pulled -- but right now, with bullying being at the forefront of people's minds (thanks to the movie Bully and the fact the school year is coming to an end), this adds to the full picture of Romney as out of touch and uncaring about anyone other than himself and his particular social circle.

Mitt Romney: the Etch-A-Sketch candidate in the era of YouTube

by Cali Scribe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 11:29:57 AM PDT

•  It is excusing Romney. (1+ / 0-)
            Julia Grey

Many people excuse bullying immediately after it happens, let alone with time past.

•  And they were raked over the coals by those (2+ / 0-)
      greenbell, 417els

actions for those decades, for the rest of their lives. But this only merits one diary entry, once? Please. Not only is it relevant because it speaks directly to his character, a human was seriously psychologically hurt by this action. The difference is, Byrd and Kennedy attempted to atone for their pasts throughout those decades. Romney? Not so much.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Thu May 10, 2012 at 09:53:36 AM PDT

•  Don't agree. (2+ / 0-)
      greenbell, Cali Scribe

Normally I totally ignore all these diaries bashing Mitt for personal things that litter the front page. In fact I hardly ever look at the FP because of this. And, in many ways there's very little difference between O and R, honestly, on policy.

Both are right of center.

But, this seems to be very relevant to any discussion of someone who might end up with the 'keys to the nukes,' -- and a whole lot of other things. In fact being a school bully is pretty relevant to a lot of things right now - but beyond that, can we really imagine someone with this sort of character with such power?

I think it's very relevant.

•  Obama ate dog. (1+ / 0-)
      joe wobblie

see where I'm going with this?

No fucking mercy for Mitt.

may we not be strangers in the lush province of joy - Charles Wright

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:05:28 AM PDT

•  No (1+ / 0-)
      greenbell

this was incredibly cruel and humiliating. Personally, I know very few people who would have ever considered doing anything like this to a fellow student.....misfit or not.

For teenagers especially, hair is very important. I remember  girls who cried all day and didn't want to even leave the house after getting a bad cut at a salon! Adults have sued people in civil court for giving them a bad perm, color job etc

This was a very sadistic and hateful act. Its been documented that children who abuse animals become abusive adults.

•  Most of us pause at cruelty (0+ / 0-)

because of our primary empathy with other living creatures, including humans.

Interesting that the "window" for developing natural empathy begins to close at about age three. If we haven't developed empathy by then, we often don't. We can CHOOSE to be empathetic as adults, but it has to come from a rational choice. It's not the same kind of visceral response to another human that we usually learn when we are very young.

•  Someone who was a bully in school (0+ / 0-)

isn't going to make a big deal about establishing anti-bullying policies in today's schools.

Mitt Romney: the Etch-A-Sketch candidate in the era of YouTube

by Cali Scribe on Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:55:30 AM PDT

•  As someone who's now 32 years old... (3+ / 0-)
      Bud Fields, icemilkcoffee, Julia Grey

...and was traumatized so badly by all the bullying I sustained throughout all of my school life that I now barely leave the house for fear of people attacking me, I am telling you that what Romney did was something that the person he assaulted remembered to the day he died, regardless of if Romney remembered attacking that boy or not.

Bullying is a HUGE problem in this country.  There was just a major documentary made about it; perhaps you need to see it so you can understand how much of a problem it is.

•  Byrd was an Ahole (0+ / 0-)

And I never forgave him for his KKK years.  Why should I?  And Kennedy drank and wrecked a car and killed a young woman, but he didn't deliberately set out to humiliate another human being.  So, now that you've set up your strawman position, exactly how do equate these 3 individuals (Byrd, Kennedy and Romney)?