View Diary: Dead By Sunset: Kill it, and make it look like an accident [UPDATED] (118 comments)

•  insidious, deadly ... (4.00)
    The first group that publicly mentioned the Sunset provision is Mercatus Center (link goes to sourcewatch.org): "The Mercatus Center has engaged in campaigns involving deregulation, especially environmental deregulation."

They're all on board, aren't they. What will we do about it?

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Apr 23, 2005 at 05:52:44 PM PDT

•  Thanks, strongly recommended (4.00)
      We've got to get this out there, people have to know how radical these rethugs are. This is insidious, deadly and sad as this country comes apart at the seams. The US is crashing and burning thanks to these fuckers.
      •  nice catch (none)
        susan, i agree with you.

i'm frustrated b/c i think we DO yell & scream alot but we seem to not follow it up with effective action often.

i'm not berating us or anyone.  i include myself in this statement.

i know we're busy.  i know there are too many damn scandals to keep track of.  & i know also we have lives & want to enjoy it as well.

i know also that this may be a symptom of community based sites -- where everything is kind of thrown onto the heap with categorization or organization.

Susan & co, i think we could use some organization.

there are so many issues.  is it possible to organize it??  has this been done?

& there has to be some leadership on each issue b/c frankly in someone's not driving it & organizing it, i think it'll get lost in the noise.

is there a site that takes all our issues, categorizes them, organizes how you can act on them & lists contacts to orgs that deal with it?

i.e., this site would have an environmental category, that would keep track of environmental groups, legislations & contacts.

if we have this, WHERE IS IT?!?  & if not, is anybody interested in starting this up with me??

•  Michael Moore's (4.00)
          website does this.

A society of sheep must beget in time a government of wolves. Bertrand de Jouvenel

by Little Red Hen on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 07:37:03 AM PDT

•  A couple things... (4.00)
          Let's sign up for OMB Watch's newsletters -- they have several.  And they ask for donations.

And PR Watch was the first to alert me to this story -- three days ago!  I've been too busy to spend the hours researching this before I put it up, so it only made it up last night. PR Watch also asks for donations -- its reports are very sharp, not sensationalistic.

Then there's sourcewatch.org.

We have lots of great groups watching out for us.

But, as a diary on BoomanTribune notes rather succinctly: "Halliburton vs Whitewater-Where's the Outrage Comparison?"  The diary is by roseeriter.

Of course, in 1970 I saw George McGovern, candidate for the presidency of the United States, speak at the Seattle Center.  McGovern kept asking:  "Why is there no outrage, why is there no coverage, of the break-in at the Watergate?"

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 08:13:53 AM PDT

•  Woof, woof! Pant, pant! (4.00)
          If issues are tennis balls, the opposition is a pitcher with an untiring throwing arm and we're a golden retriever chasing merrily after everything they throw.

We have two choices:

We can continue playing fetch or we can change the rules of the game and start chasing after the pitcher instead of the balls.

It's time to change the rules.

Beware the everyday brutality of the averted gaze.
          ePluribus Media - Donate!

by mataliandy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 11:39:43 AM PDT

•  nice catch -thank you (4.00)
      My first reaction was a string of juicy swear words.

My second, the chilling re-realization that we cannot let our guard down. Ever. Damn them all.

I will start by emailing a brief explanation and link to this diary to everyone in my address book, something I've never done before. Then I will start writing letters. LTE. Letters the Sens and the Rep. And, if it's OK by you, I will print this diary out and pass it on to friends and neighbors.

This pathologically shy person is bloody fed up and ready to speak out.

•  is there (none)
      Is there a PDF or HTML version of the budget on the 'net?  It's 2,000 pages, so ... but it'd be interesting to find and post the actual text.  Very short, Rolling Stone says.  About 3 lines.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Apr 23, 2005 at 06:30:25 PM PDT

•  Is this it? (none)
        link See the Making Gov more efficient

First, the Administration is proposing the establishment of a Sunset Commission to provide regular scrutiny of Federal programs. This bipartisan commission would review each Federal program on a schedule established by the Congress to determine whether it is producing results and should continue to exist. Programs would automatically terminate according to the schedule unless the Congress took action to continue them.

I linked the Dem House Budget analysis pdf in previous comment.

Hope either helps.

•  it is on page 54 (none)
          So that is the budget link and I found that Sunset Commission as well as the Results Commision on page 54 of the Making Government more Effiective section then to Eliminating Improper Payments. (It is in the paragraphs right above that).

Weird navigation, catchy section titles

•  I just added two updates to the diary . (4.00)
      from OMBWatch.org about the Sunset Commission with links to the full documents + site.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Apr 23, 2005 at 07:21:16 PM PDT

•  You are a national treasure. (4.00)
      So glad you are OUR national treasure.

Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral. ---Paulo Friere

by Mimikatz on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 10:27:08 AM PDT