View Diary: Dead By Sunset: Kill it, and make it look like an accident [UPDATED] (118 comments)

•  we're getting chickens on Monday. (none)
    Worst comes to worst, y'all can come for breakfast. Eggs for everybody! Well, the first couple dozen, anyway... I just got a bunch of raspberry starts from a friend and plum, pie cherry and elderberry trees free at an Earth Day give-away today. We're converting most of our back yard to food production.

I feel like a frickin' survivalist, but my god I do not like what's on the horizon. SusanHu, you've scared the shit out of me. I think I'll run around the rest of the night yelling "what are we going to do!" In the morning I'll slap myself and say to my reflection in the mirror, "Pull yourself together, woman!" I'll reply, "Thanks, I needed that," and get ready for my 4-year-old's birthday party.

The New Homemaker: Family values belong to EVERYONE

by LynnS on Sat Apr 23, 2005 at 08:08:09 PM PDT

•  just got the liberty garden in today (none)
      tomatoes, tomatillo, sweet peppers, chili peppers, eggplant, bush beans, basil and cucumber. replanted some of the volunteer tomatoes from last year's compost, the first time i've ever tried it (wonder which ones they'll turn out to be?). chickens would be nice, although the shit would have to hit the fan in a big way before the suburbs here would allow chicken coops, what with the noise ordinances and all. my wife's family raises chickens and sheep in their backyard, and it's like this nice little closed cycle, with the veggie compost going to the chickens, and the rest to the compost pile, which - when mixed with the manure from the sheep pasture - goes back into the garden to amend the soil. i totally understand the momentary flashes of apocalyptic panic now and then, suddenly seeing highways filled with horse-drawn wagons in one's mind's eye in the middle of a commute. the garden is one way to reassure oneself, i suppose, as well as a pleasant way to spend an afternoon (and the only way to really get decent, ripe produce - vine-ripe tomatoes and peaches right off the tree are incomparably tasty).
      •  n/t (none)
        now that is something!  Wow.  Good for you.  btw, Diane101 is asking people about organic gardening here

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sat Apr 23, 2005 at 09:17:58 PM PDT

•  Could You Not call them "Bush Beans"?!! (none)
        : )
      •  noise and chickens (4.00)
        If you don't have roosters, which are illegal here in Portland anyway unless you eat them young before they start to crow, chickens are really pretty quiet critters. (And no, you don't need roosters to get eggs.) They make a little noise when they lay an egg but even then it's hardly a crow, more of a woot! We're planning on getting around any objections of the neighbors by offering eggs, but I really don't expect objections. We're not downtown but we're firmly within the urban core. Check your local ordinances, you may be pleasantly surprised.

The New Homemaker: Family values belong to EVERYONE

by LynnS on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 04:49:41 PM PDT

•  i already checked - it's a no go in my 'hood (none)
          i'm renting, at any rate, so the question is kinda moot, as the landlords might not appreciate inheriting a chicken coop, even if i offered them eggs. if i owned the place, i might be tempted to give it a shot, although the yard is pretty small as it is.
      •  chickens are go! (none)
        Seven lil peepers in my kitchen right now. Two each of araucana and buff orpington, one each barred rock, production red and black sex link (seriously, that's what they're called). Pray for them!

The New Homemaker: Family values belong to EVERYONE

by LynnS on Mon Apr 25, 2005 at 07:13:29 PM PDT

•  What are we going to do? (none)
      Lynn, I thought about this diary all night, then read your post this morning and I have to agree with your initial reaction of:

But, I also kept thinking of Susan's Dylan Thomas quote:

Do not go gentle into that good night.
      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

We have to push back everytime they try to do something that threatens our light. The first thing we have to do is to inform people, too many people are in the dark about what is happening. Knowledge is power.

•  That's why (none)
        the right is afraid of us.

Liberal=Intellect.

"None so Blind as those who Will not See" is their BASE.

We are the Seers. and the Doers.

Sometimes it seems that there is just too much to see and do but I think we are in our myriad ways a thorn in the side of the powers that be. They fear us.

That gives me great pleasure.

Onward.

A society of sheep must beget in time a government of wolves. Bertrand de Jouvenel

by Little Red Hen on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 07:45:39 AM PDT

•  what frightens me... (none)
          ...is how unafraid of us they really seem to be. They're operating on the assumption that they will remain the one party in charge for the long-term future. I don't know if it's just bravado or if they know something we don't know--that is, that our worst fears are true and they really intend to end the American Experiment even more finally than they did in December, 2000.

The New Homemaker: Family values belong to EVERYONE

by LynnS on Mon Apr 25, 2005 at 09:53:44 AM PDT

•  In honor of (none)
        Maryscott O'Connor who has the Thomas poem in her Kos signature ... and who is a great inspiration for intelligent, focused rage.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sun Apr 24, 2005 at 09:05:23 AM PDT

•  Only mine says... (none)
        Well, you can see what it says...

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Mon Apr 25, 2005 at 07:40:05 PM PDT