View Diary: President Obama is the Adult in the Room (252 comments)

•  Ad hominem where? EOM (7+ / 0-)

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Mon May 14, 2012 at 08:10:04 PM PDT

•  Are you being disingenuous or do you not know? (0+ / 0-)

I'll break it down for you. Romney is over 18 years of age. He is not a child; He is an adult. Obama is not the only adult in the room. Even the right wing assholes are adults.

Pretty simple stuff.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon May 14, 2012 at 08:25:11 PM PDT

•  Where is the ad hominem precisely? N/T (5+ / 0-)

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Mon May 14, 2012 at 08:54:18 PM PDT

•  Calling your adult opponent a child. (0+ / 0-)

"Adult in the room" implies that your opponent is not an adult.

Honest question... Are you serious? I like you mahakali, but I'm not sure if you are being genuine in this instance.

Do you think I'm stupid or something?

Honestly.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon May 14, 2012 at 09:00:14 PM PDT

•  I do not think you are stupid (4+ / 0-)

I apologize though because I misread your reply as suggesting that I was making an ad hominem toward you. This is my bad, not an insult toward you; I'm not wearing my glasses -- this has occasionally resulted in some snafus on this forum. I was very confused at first by why you were saying I was lobbing an ad hominem at you. I had to re-read your post to see that you were saying that calling someone who isn't Obama "childish" is the ad hominem. My original reply was that it's not an ad hominem if it's 1. true and 2. relevant. And in the case of any President, I would suggest that it's both, and I would also suggest, as I originally did (which I am now reading with a pirate squint to best make it out without wiggling text), that GWB is a perfect example of why Obama's maturity is an issue. My feeling is that after seeing an intellectually and emotionally stunted individual trying to lead our Nation for eight years, we should factor this one carefully. I would also say that Romney strikes me as possessing a similar, although not precisely the same by any means, lack of maturity which could be disastrous. Someone like McCain I would classify as foolish or evil. But with GWB, it was mainly that he was easy to manipulate and ill-equipped to cope with the level of power he was given. So I wish that voters really would consider certain select character traits when voting for someone because these do have outcomes on policy-based or ideological decisions.

I am sorry if I crossed wires here with you. That wasn't my intention at all. I was responding quite genuinely.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Mon May 14, 2012 at 09:09:52 PM PDT

•  Thank you for the apology. (1+ / 0-)
              mahakali overdrive

My point is that I hate the "adult" meme. Grown up people can make bad decisions too. And I'm no fan of George W. Bush or Republicans. I actually wish Obama was the liberal that the right wing paints him as. I liked him most when he recently came out in favor of same-sex marriage.

More of that and less of the nonsense please.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon May 14, 2012 at 09:20:45 PM PDT

•  You're preaching to the choir (3+ / 0-)
                Mets102, HairyTrueMan, Deep Texan

I sometimes wish he'd stand up and shout "I AM a Socialist, you are SO SO RIGHT!" (That's the Socialist in me fantasizing, of course). His mother was a Communist, so it's so easy for a gal to dream... but yes. I believe he's a Democrat, although I contend that he's a bit more Leftward than the system he's in which is pushing him more than we're able to. All that aside, I'm concerned with the election first and foremost. I fully believe, and if I am wrong, come find me and mock me on this site later with this proclamation, that Obama will do more Progressive things during his second term in office. Thus it was no surprise that he made the marriage equality announcement even though it seems politically "iffy." I believe, from previous things that I'd read, that he was always quietly for gay marriage actually. I voted for the best candidate who best fit with my values in the Primary of 2008, and that person was Barack Obama. I disliked his views on Afghanistan, but I trusted that he had a reason for those views since this seemed incongruous with his otherwise diplomacy-based, non-hawkish nature. I admired that he openly discussed race, his own youthful drug experimentation, and that he proposed giving driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants, his revamping of the DOJ racism (which you can probably see in action, in part, with the Trayvon Martin case... though that's conjecture on my behalf) as well as his position on Palestine and Israel. I think he's hamstrung by the Republicans in Government, as well as the American public whom he's supposed to serve, who are to the Right of Center overall. For a kid who grew up in Indonesia with a radical mother, who went to Kenya to visit his grandma in her tribal village with its one television, who lived in Hawaii (where I used to live in a commune in the jungle as a little kid) which is truly a melting pot and also, which has progressive community values that are admirable.

But I will not, at this time, for the reasons stated in another thread, lament the things I'm displeased about. There is a time and a place. I aim to speak with purpose, not to type into a void. My goal when I type is usually to be heard. Here, we're just conversing since I believe there are few in here now besides. But normally when I say anything, I do consider why I am saying it, who might be reading it, and what they can take from it (as well as what they can use against me for it). "Me" is often the whole site, actually, if you look at how the MSM picks up memes from here and reprints them at times, or quotes them as "representative of angry Progressives everywhere."

Right now, I'm pretty pleased that the President said what he did about gay marriage. That needed to happen. I'm still glowing.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich