View Diary: Safeway's general counsel tells hilarious sexist joke at annual shareholder meeting (182 comments)

•  You know what, I for one do not appreciate being (0+ / 0-)

told by some anonymous ass anything to do with regard to my panties, wadded or otherwise.  That remark just serves to show you in a poor light and if you don't understand why than you are more of an ignoramus than your comment reflects.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

by helpImdrowning on Fri May 18, 2012 at 02:19:47 PM PDT

•  I understand, to a point (1+ / 0-)
      phastcoop

I'm a big guy, but I don't get bent all out of shape about fat jokes.

I'm of the opinion that either everybody should take a joke, or nobody can.

If that's not that case, then the far left should start shutting up about making "idiot", "retard", "hick" jokes about the far right.

Boil it down it's the same damn thing, just that each side picks and chooses what to get upset about.

GOD! Save me from your followers.

by adversus on Sat May 19, 2012 at 08:11:52 PM PDT

•  You are obviously a very enlightened guy, (0+ / 0-)

and it is great that you are not offended by fat jokes.  When a man tells a woman in the course of a discussion not to get her panties in a bunch/wad it's purpose is to belittle and demean her and to steer directly away from the true point of the discussion.  That my friend is not a joke, it is an insult.  Additionally, any man who can't think of anything better to say to advance his argument than the wadded or unwadded state of a woman's panties obviously has a poor argument to begin with.

by helpImdrowning on Sun May 20, 2012 at 10:53:20 PM PDT

•  Do you use "Rule of Thumb" (0+ / 0-)

In general conversation?  I do, and so do nearly 99.99% of the people (of both genders) I come into contact with.

"Panties in a wad" wasn't aimed at you or women in general.  If you thought it was, I apologize.

I use it (and hear it used all the time) in a general sense.  That phrase being aimed directly at a woman BECAUSE of the word "panties" was the farthest from my mind.

Hell I was told to not get MY panties in a bunch today at work.  It's become a figure of speech, and is generally today considered detached of any gender specification connotation.

Like "rule of thumb".

GOD! Save me from your followers.

by adversus on Mon May 21, 2012 at 04:55:08 PM PDT

•  Okay then maybe you could switch it up (0+ / 0-)

on occasion and instead of saying "don't get your panties in a bunch", say "don't get your little jock strap in a tangle".  Even if the panties comment is directed at a man, it is still meant as an insult to women, it is suggesting that the man is acting like a woman, and not in a favorable way.  The comment is meant to be dismissive.  Just because a number of people use a phrase, does not mean it is a good one.  I wish you well.

by helpImdrowning on Tue May 22, 2012 at 04:00:22 PM PDT

•  Wow (0+ / 0-)

Case in point, someone taking a figure of speech literally and getting offended over nothing.

Calm down, helpimdrowning. Why is it difficult for you to have a rational discussion with someone who disagrees with you? Why do you resort to name calling? That is not a mature way to have a conversation with someone.

•  Don't you have a bridge to guard somewhere? (0+ / 0-)

You shouldn't get your little jock strap in a tangle over a comment that wasn't directed at you, although your concern is very touching.

by helpImdrowning on Sun May 20, 2012 at 10:40:16 PM PDT

•  A bridge to guard?? (0+ / 0-)

What do you have against our troops in the national guard that you look down upon their duties of protecting our homeland?

So according to helpImdrowning it's ok to spit on the troops. Some great personalities in this thread. I'm appalled.

•  You obviously do not have the intellectual or (0+ / 0-)

educational background to understand the comment which is a literary reference to a character in fairy tales.   You really should stick to Red State where I dare say you fit in quite nicely.  Your whole comment has right wing style written all over it and is frankly ridiculous and makes no logical sense whatsoever.  If you are able to read and comprehend simple sentences you might go back and give it another try, keeping in mind I made no mention of the National Guard or the homeland any where in my very brief comment.  Good luck to you, you will need it.

by helpImdrowning on Tue May 22, 2012 at 04:15:02 PM PDT

•  I hear the crickets chirping. A quote from (0+ / 0-)

a successful movie of the 1980's Bueller's Day Off, "Bueller..", "Bueller...", "Bueller....".....  Best wishes to you.

by helpImdrowning on Thu May 24, 2012 at 01:48:42 AM PDT

•  Oops, that is "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". (0+ / 0-)

Isn't it such a bummer when you are trying to be clever and you just muck it up?  Oh well, I hope you can still appreciate the gist of what I was trying to say.  Best wishes.

by helpImdrowning on Thu May 24, 2012 at 01:57:29 AM PDT