View Diary: Mario Batali - Living on Food Stamps (310 comments)

•  I don't know if you meant to, (18+ / 0-)

But grammatically, your comment implies that social workers and other people who work to help the poor are "assholes." one of my best fiends has a masters degree  and immediately went to work for CPS
    After graduation.  Her caseload has always been intolerable. She is always smashed between Parents (most of whom are either too poor, unskilled, young, addicted or abusive to take care of their kids) a system that is too strapped for funds to care for them properly, foster parents who care but are overwhelmed and need help, and judges who are inclined to return children to parents...  And for this, my friend with an expensive graduate degree earns  a pitiful salary and is often buying things for "her" kids with her own money.

There are many like her working within the system: good decent dedicated professionals. Hardly "assholes" and their salaries and benefits are under attack constantly.

The people who work for Fox  are the mouthpieces of those who lead the attack against the government workers who usually do care. Are many burned out? They are. But they are burned out because they work in a system that sets them up to fail. Don't blame them. Blame those who refuse to fund the system.

© grover

by grover on Wed May 16, 2012 at 11:31:21 PM PDT

•  just what I was going to say (8+ / 0-)

If the original poster thinks that social workers live on a princely salary, well, maybe they should spend some time around actual social workers.

•  I have. (0+ / 0-)

I've also dealt with some of them, along with unemployment people.  Some of them were excellent, while others  were incredibly condescending and unhelpful--even to someone whose resume equaled theirs. I was lucky in that I KNEW how to fight the system. I would hate to have been a single Mom with a high school diploma whose husband traded her in on someone younger, thinner and blonder, no work experience for the last 10 years, and no experience with the system.

And I worked in the public sector as a teacher and librarian as well as retail at points in my life--I've got a double master's.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu May 17, 2012 at 07:31:26 PM PDT

•  I agree with you about social workers (10+ / 0-)

and I can't speak for irishwitch, but I believe she is saying many social workers do need to be sensitized to the struggles of the people they are serving. I was a volunteer guardian ad litem for about 4 years and saw many social workers who were so judgmental and dismissive of the problems their clients faced. It may have been due to burn out, I don't know; I know I burned out after 4 years, fighting for my kids in a system that seemed to forget about the best interest of the children.

•  I've been saying for years (3+ / 0-)

Social Services needs more funding.  It's as if our lawmakers don't give a damn about the lesser of our brethren.

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer.--Bruce Graham

by Ice Blue on Thu May 17, 2012 at 07:04:10 AM PDT

•  I've had social workers (4+ / 0-)

involved with us, due largely to my son's behaviors when he was younger.... who were assholes, and a couple who weren't. One wanted to pull my child because we had an assistance dog and she didn't think dogs should be in a house with a child. Yes, she said this. We had to get her manager involved because she was making things up on reports to get her way. Eventually she was fired, and found out later she moved to another area of the state and got hired there in essentially the same job.

Had a friend who's social worker wanted to make her get a GED in order to keep her kids. Never mind she had a learning disability and couldn't read beyond a 2nd grade level, that was another fight. He also made her get a driver's licence even though she didn't have nor could she afford a car. Really stupid stupid things.

I'm not saying all social workers are bad or evil, but there are, in my experience a lot out there who are either clueless or just power trip on their clients.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu May 17, 2012 at 09:04:20 AM PDT

•  Could both of those have been really stupid (2+ / 0-)
        Alexandra Lynch, LucyandByron

Policies that  had come from up high, that they were expected to enforce?

What we often blame a lowly worker for, is often just that person carrying a distasteful message that, if they had they could, they'd tell you, yeah, this is completely ridiculous.

Many workers who seem to have a lot of power actually don't have as much as the public thinks they do. They have supervisors who review their cases. They have policies and procedures to follow (and these are often changing, and managers who havent done the job in years --if ever -- often come up with some  real doozies) are put into the position of enforcing rules they didn't make and don't believe in.

Happens all across the world, across many sectors , every day.

© grover

by grover on Thu May 17, 2012 at 09:32:21 AM PDT

•  Actually in both cases.. (3+ / 0-)

Management was appalled by the behavior of the workers, it was NOT policy, and the stuff the one woman wrote about our house and our parenting was obvious lies. (Also had another one claim a pure breed yellow lab with papers was a 'pit bull left loose with the children'.) Her boss came in expecting to see garbage all over, the boy covered in open wounds and bruises, etc, none of which was true.  And as assistance dogs are covered by the ADA, no, it's not against policy to have one  in the house. It's not against policy to have any pets in the house. She was just afraid of dogs.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu May 17, 2012 at 09:42:21 AM PDT

•  I had the exact same issue with a worker (2+ / 0-)
            FloridaSNMOM, Alexandra Lynch

when I was a GAL. She reported that a house was filthy, the dog was filthy and had fleas, etc.  It was all just a lie because she did not like the parents. She was always coming up with some new hurdle the parents had to jump (reminded me of this when you said the worker made someone with no car get a drivers license). She was definitely on a power trip.

•  SOme are wonderful Some ARE assholes-- (0+ / 0-)

especially the ones from a privileged background. I know I. I've dealt with them and with unemployment workers who were less than sterling. Fortunately.  have a double masters and know how to play the game, which is a calm, persistent request to see their supervisor--and the super's supervisor if necessary.

FYI, I've worked in public service as a teacher and librarian, so I've dealt with the public. I've also worked retail, and I can tell you that if some of the public servants I've had to fight against had been minimum wage retail clerks or wait staff--they'd have been fired pretty quickly. With some people, it's not burnout, it's disdain for those who need help. Think Romney.

Yes, there are a lot of good, caring people in social work and public service--but there are also assholes. Classic example: when I was unemployed after having to leave a job from a stress-related illness, I ran into a recent college grad "job counselor" who had gone from college straight into this job. I didn't own a car. Couldn't afford one on a teacher's salary, so I took public transportation.  He tried to send me on a job interview to a place that would require 2 1/2hours to get there and three bus changes. And it was well below my skill level and education.  I pointed this out. Smarmy little
      twit  told me he'd sent Ph.D.s to cab companies. I told him what he did was illegal, threatening to yank people's bennies for refusing to waste an entire day on a job they were so overqualified for that they wouldn't even get the interview once they got there and they looked at the application.  I marched my ass up to the state commission on women and returned with one of their staffers. He and I spoke to twit's super, and turned out he'd pulled this before on people with better educations than his.  Another note in his file---and he was headed for firing long before he had a chance to burn out.

I admire people who care, and I was one of them when I worked in the sector.  But sadly, some of the folks who do lack a lot of real life experience and could use learning from it.  Not hurling insults at allsocial workers, but the plain facts are some DO look down on their clients and seem to enjoy making people jump through hoops.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu May 17, 2012 at 07:27:19 PM PDT