View Diary: Mario Batali - Living on Food Stamps (310 comments)

•  so the pubs are right? (1+ / 0-)
    cacamp

job creators are the masters of the universe?  Demand doesn't matter?  Then why are we fighting it?  Just give them all the money and it will magically trickle down to us.

Probably shouldn't have said just food quality in my comment since there are more facets to eating like convenience, speed, location, service, the best bartender in the universe and other things like that, including sound business sense.  I believe it still comes down to demand.  If people don't like your product for whatever reason, including screwed up business decisions that affect the other facets of the business, they won't come.  I don't believe in manufactured demand.  You may eat it because it's all there is, but you're always looking for something you like better even if you have to make it yourself.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Thu May 17, 2012 at 07:36:46 AM PDT

•  No, surprised you would say that (2+ / 0-)
      Alexandra Lynch, zinger99

Running a restaurant is simply hard work.  It involves a lot of hours and more than a little financial risk.

Restaurant owners do create jobs. They hire managers, chefs, cooks, wait staff, etc.   Many are the mainstay of small businesses on Main Street USA.  They're not all mega corporate controlled chains.

IMHO, Mr. Batali's decision speaks well of him.  He has a large audience and his efforts to educate them about the difficulties of living on food stamps is a good thing.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Thu May 17, 2012 at 08:30:41 AM PDT

•  no, demand created the jobs, dougymi is correct (1+ / 0-)
        Tim DeLaney

if there were no demand no one would open a restaurant. Hiring is in response to demand too, the more demand by consumers the more hiring. The rightwing has succeeded in convincing people about who and what creates jobs and progressives need to understand the difference. No one could or would open a business and hire people unless consumers were there to buy their products. The actual "job creators" are everyone who eats, buys gas, drives cars, wears clothes, etc. Hard working middle class Americans are the worlds biggest 'job creators' and they allow businesses to exist. No demand, no jobs, period.

btw, there are two recommended diaries today which explain the facts about who creates jobs, check them out.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Thu May 17, 2012 at 11:04:25 AM PDT

•  By that same reasoning (1+ / 0-)
          714day

women create babies. With no help from men, eh?

I think jobs are created by both employers and customers.

•  that's a goofy statement (0+ / 0-)

adults generally know how babies are made but, like you, some don't know about jobs. Businesses fill jobs but demand creates them, it's actually very simple. Businesses do their thing after demand has created the need for a product and thus the need for workers to fill that demand. But remember we're talking about macro-economics or nationwide job creation. There are instances where an inventor has devised a new product and created some new demand which resulted in jobs but that's not the general mode.

I suggest you read the two recced diaries which explain it in more detail.

by cacamp on Thu May 17, 2012 at 04:51:00 PM PDT

•  Please (0+ / 0-)

let's leave the cartoon level reasoning to the Republicans, ok?

Their claim that businesses are the holy grail of job creation is silly, but your claim that they have nothing to do with it is equally silly.

Many businesses create things for which there was no previous demand; some of these ideas fail, but some succeed spectacularly.  I see no point in trying to take away credit from inventors and innovators for the jobs their inventions create. Yes, create.

•  no, the cartoon is you trying to comprehend (0+ / 0-)

if you read what I said even a small mind can understand it. Read slow and use your finger to keep your place. Not once did I "take credit away from" anyone. I just explain a simple fact that you can't seem to grasp, but I also mention the rare case of new inventions. Most jobs, as I explain, are created in existing technology, like cooking for example. Simple, it's like 2+ 2 most people can grasp it easily.

But look I can't help you if you can't understand that demand creates jobs, hell, I can't explain it to Newt either, there are just some things beyond the grasp of certain people. Having said that all I can do is suggest you go back and reread what I explained in simple terms. If you still can't get it I'll leave you to stew in your own ignorance.

by cacamp on Fri May 18, 2012 at 09:33:51 AM PDT

•  Not once did you take credit away from anyone? (0+ / 0-)

Hmm. Who wrote this?

Batali hasn't created one friggin' job, except maybe his own.  The people who buy his friggin' food created the jobs.   They don't buy his food, there are no jobs.
                  I'm so friggin' tired of the friggin' "job creator myth" that I could spit. DEMAND CREATES JOBS!
                  •  Sorry to tell you but I didn't write that (0+ / 0-)

You seem to be trying to fuss with the wrong person. But I did say "demand creates jobs" because know what... demand creates jobs.

by cacamp on Fri May 18, 2012 at 07:05:16 PM PDT

•  Gee, I have no idea how you got from (1+ / 0-)
      714day

my comment to:

so the pubs are right? (1+ / 0-)