View Diary: The French newspaper Le Monde reports 1.5 million living the American dream on $2 a day (170 comments)

•  I would move to Europe in a heartbeat, (12+ / 0-)

but last time I checked, they weren't taking any people over 50 with health issues, no job, and no money.

If they opened up the borders and allowed Americans to move there without having to have a huge financial stake, I'm sure they would be overrun with people like me who feel their country has abandoned them.

Why DON'T we Americans, this supposed greatest country in the world, have access to simple medical care? Not to mention dental care, because whoever thinks the mouth is not part of the human body is just stupid or insane.

Or jobs -- when it's obvious there is plenty of work to do, but nobody in power seems to think we peons count, so to hell with all of us.

No, I wish I'd left 20 years ago when I was still a marketable commodity. Now, I'm just worthless goods and even my own country won't help me.

"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -- Mark Twain

by Brooke In Seattle on Sun May 27, 2012 at 08:56:51 AM PDT

•  Just like our vets (3+ / 0-)
      Don midwest, aliasalias, ladyjames
      Now, I'm just worthless goods and even my own country won't help me.

George Tierney of Greenville South Carolina

by BOHICA on Sun May 27, 2012 at 09:14:55 AM PDT

•  To Brooke in Seattle - Please read (4+ / 0-)
      Don midwest, FG, greengemini, nicolemm

You know lots of people are unaware of their ancestry. Countries throughout Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, Japan and around the world will give their citizenship to people who have ancestry from that particular country. It maybe worth your while to contact your relatives and speak to them about this issue. You maybe in for a surprise.

If you or any of the other readers here are interested, please feel free to send me email: democratsramshield@yahoo(dot)com

sig...You just ran into a hardcore progressive who's just another working stiff with an MBA degree & therefore a vociferous labor union supporter [smile]

by Democrats Ramshield on Sun May 27, 2012 at 09:27:11 AM PDT

•  Very much depends on country. (2+ / 0-)
        Don midwest, greengemini

The UK will only give it to second generation "patrials" whereas Ireland has much more lenient rules.

Spain has gave citizenship to Ricky Martin last November in recognition of his “personal and professional links with Spain”. He likely took it up so he can marry his long time partner.

Fight poverty, oppression, hunger, ignorance, disease and aggression wherever they occur.

by Lib Dem FoP on Sun May 27, 2012 at 09:39:53 AM PDT

•  I think many people are turning on themselves... (7+ / 0-)

Americans are taught early on that if we aren't doing well, it's our own fault.  This mindset has allowed the government to get away with not developing a solid social safety net, as not having health insurance is "our fault."

Corporations and the 1% crowd want us to also believe in a type of social Darwinism so that we will turn on each other, and blame ourselves, while they steal our money.  So, we get upset with our lack of skills to navigate the marketplace when jobs are constantly being offshored, corporations are laying off older (ie: more expensive) workers, unions are being decimated while wages are flat.  And, we too often think it is our own fault and lack of ability that had led to our situation.  But, it isn't true.

Many, many people in the US have worked hard only to see their pensions gutted, insurance cut, jobs terminated just quarterly profits can meet projections, etc.

No one is worthless.  Please don't feel that way.  What is happening to you is also happening to many.

The stupid media in this nation isn't reflecting what is really happening in the U.S.  If they did, you would know you are not alone.  And, if they did show the reality of the disparities, maybe people would realize that we are stronger when we stick together against the forces that have made us feel that it's all our fault.

We cannot solve the problems that we have created with the same thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

by CarolinW on Sun May 27, 2012 at 09:44:38 AM PDT

•  To CarolinW - Yours is a really interesting post (6+ / 0-)

I think you have the beginning of a great diary here. I'd like to encourage you to please consider writing it as such a diary would add value to our discussion here.

by Democrats Ramshield on Sun May 27, 2012 at 10:07:02 AM PDT

•  I'm not from the United States... (0+ / 0-)

My parents came here when I was a kid, so I've always noticed some differences between where I'm from and the U.S. mindset.  I think the rugged individualism and "self-made" person concepts enticed many to come to the United States.  But, many of those immigrants left behind a place with a sense of history, and the structures of community and family.

So, I've felt the challenge for people in U.S. is to shift from individualism to a sense of community reflected by a strong social safety net, a system that views economic justice as important, etc.

Thanks for your kind words.  I will certainly think about writing that diary :-)

by CarolinW on Sun May 27, 2012 at 11:05:29 AM PDT

•  We've been asking these questions (2+ / 0-)
      Don midwest, aliasalias

for the last 3 years now.  Sadly, it seems we've gotten our answer.  There will be no change in the status quo, our leaders have too much vested interest in keeping things the way they are.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Sun May 27, 2012 at 10:59:20 AM PDT

•  you are such a liar, Betty Pinson (0+ / 1-)
        Hidden by:
        aliasalias

you KNOW that you have not been asking these questions for the last 3 years and have sadly come to your conclusion

you have been preaching your conclusion before day 1

everyone here who has read what you write knows that to be the truth

why should anyone ever listen to what you say when you lie even when you don't need to lie.  like in this case.  you could have just said the truth that you've been telling everyone this for years and now they should know for themselves that you were right.  but no.  you lie.

why am i even saying any of this to you?  you are lying for power.  like a typical politician.  but it's okay when you do it, cause... well... you better have another drink.

i think my cat is possessed by dick cheney

by Anton Bursch on Sun May 27, 2012 at 11:59:42 AM PDT

•  Anton - what did Betty lie about? (1+ / 0-)
          ladyjames

I see that your most recommended diary is "Obama is the best president of my lifetime."

Are you saying that Betty is a liar because she doesn't think that the political parties are going to make much change to the status quo?

Betty has made several comments that the say essentially that the two parties work for the 1%.

Many, if not most of the comments on this diary make the same point.

Is that what you are calling a lie?

•  HR for calling her a liar, over and over (1+ / 0-)
          ladyjames

AND you don't speak for me when you say that everyone who has read her comments know she lies. It's all one long personal attack and well deserving of a hiderate. If anyone can  show me where it ISN'T a HR offense to call someone a liar a bunch of times without citing ANY examples I'll remove the HR.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Sun May 27, 2012 at 01:34:58 PM PDT

Don midwest, ladyjames, aliasalias

Some people can't handle the truth, but the more we cover up for our own leaders the more others suffer.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Sun May 27, 2012 at 02:12:53 PM PDT

•  Betty lied in her comment (0+ / 0-)

She has been saying the same thing about the President and the leadership of the Democratic party for the last 3 years.  Anyone who has been reading her comments knows that.

But in the comment above she says that she's been asking these questions for the last three years and now, sadly, she knows the answer.  That is a lie.

This is a common thing her Betty to do.  Over the last 3 years I've seen her do it many times.  She pretends to be like everyone else who 'thought' that we could trust the President and Dem leaders to act in our best interest, but has now come to the sad/angry/dissapointed/fillintheblank conclusion that she was wrong and that we can't trust them to act in our best interest.

She's like Joe Scarborough pretending to be offended by the President's 'hypocrisy' over hiding his support for marriage equality.  As if Joe has been some champoin of marriage equality.  He's opposed to the President and will use any and everything against him.

It pisses me off.  Not that she thinks what she thinks about the President and Dem leaders, but that tries to play people in this community like fools by lying about where she is coming from.   It's dirty politics.

And of course, while she's lying she says that I just don't want to see the truth.

Anyway, no, the rules do not allow hide rating someone for calling someone else out for lying.  I didn't write it in a diary.  I didn't hide rate her comment.

But what does it matter to her if she's called a liar.  Calling people liars is whatshe does all the time.  She just does it to public servants like the President and our Dem leaders.

i think my cat is possessed by dick cheney

by Anton Bursch on Sun May 27, 2012 at 02:55:43 PM PDT

•  You still haven't (2+ / 0-)
              ladyjames, aliasalias

backed up your claim.

Just because my opinion angers you doesn't entitle you to call me a liar.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Sun May 27, 2012 at 03:03:24 PM PDT

•  you are correct, that wouldn't (0+ / 0-)

But I plainly said that i was pissed at you for lying not your opinion.

Mostly, I just wish you would stop.  I don't like being lied to by the President(like he lied repeatedly about evolving marriage equality) and I don't like being lied to by political activists.

i think my cat is possessed by dick cheney

by Anton Bursch on Sun May 27, 2012 at 03:11:40 PM PDT

•  Are you calling me a liar again? (1+ / 0-)
                  aliasalias

Let me make it more clear for you.  It's my opinion based on a multitude of incidents, none of which I'm going to list here because this is an election year.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Sun May 27, 2012 at 08:50:36 PM PDT

•  when did i stop to start doing it again? (0+ / 0-)
                    We've been asking these questions (2+ / 0-)

that comment is a lie.  not your opinion about the President (clearly who you are primarily referring to by 'our leaders').  you aren't lying that that is your opinion.  your opinion is just your opinion and thus cannot be in and of itself a lie.  but your comment above is a lie.

your comment states that for 3 years you have been asking questions and now you gotten your answer and it is that 'There will be no change in the status quo, our leaders have too much vested interest in keeping things the way they are'.  shall I start copy/pasting the comments you made before Obama even WON the election in 2009 that said the same GODDAMN THING.

you lied about having come to your conclusion over the course of the last 3 years.  you had it before Obama was even President.  your comment above was a lie.  you were lying.  you are a liar.

now, you would rather have President Obama than President McCain or President Romney.  that much is obvious.  but don't pretend like you ever thought Obama was anything but a stooge for the status quo, because your words prove otherwise.

and what is the big deal about your lie in this case?  it's such a tiny little lie after all.  but it's a lie meant to manipulate people who have wavering faith in the President into losing faith in him.  maybe you are right about Obama and they shouldn't have faith in him.  but you take what you believe to be the truth and you tinge it with a lie that you are one of them.  you lie to gain their trust.  it's the kind of lie that makes me sick to my stomach, because it plays people for fools.

but it's normal in politics.  accepted as okay because it's for the 'greater good'.  but for most people in this country, it's the exact thing about politics that makes them HATE politicians.

i think my cat is possessed by dick cheney

by Anton Bursch on Sun May 27, 2012 at 11:14:58 PM PDT

•  And I like my Dem leaders just fine (0+ / 0-)

I wish Obama's WH would listen to them more often.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." Edward R. Murrow

by Betty Pinson on Sun May 27, 2012 at 03:05:24 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure if it's such a good idea now with (0+ / 0-)

all the unemployment there.

• Recommended (178)
  • Education (23)
  • Rescued (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site