View Diary: Tree Climbers: And Now, On to Other News... (21 comments)

•  The case in Philadelphia is important, too (9+ / 0-)

The defense rested yesterday,  If Lynn is convicted, I believe it would be the first criminal conviction of an upper clergyman for a coverup.

That might give the issue legs.

Other prosecutors might become interested if Philly wins the case.

Ancora Impara--Michelangelo

by aravir on Wed May 30, 2012 at 09:29:00 AM PDT

•  Updated to include the case in philadelphia - (4+ / 0-)
      mapamp, left rev, sb, aravir

thanks, aravir - I meant to do that but it slipped my mind :)

Appreciate the input.

Roxine

"...I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul" Invictus - William Ernest Henley Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by Roxine on Wed May 30, 2012 at 10:49:18 AM PDT

•  thanks for link, aravir! (4+ / 0-)
      Roxine, mapamp, left rev, sb

I believe you are correct in your analysis.

•  Living... (3+ / 0-)
      mapamp, 2thanks, sb

On Long Island, NY, and nearby the seat of the Rockville Centre Catholic Diocese, it was hugely reported in local news about the sexual abuse cases reported to the church by victims and parents of victims.  They were putting out a lot of excuses(looked nto, unfounded) and or $$ to keep the lid on this.

But two victims said enough was enough, and they sued the diocese and the priest who oversaw and hired the youth minister who already had confessed to sexual abuse, rape, sodomy of 4 teenagers. These two victims sued and they won!

What one victim was quoted as saying:

After the verdict, the woman tearfully embraced her mother, then held an impromptu news conference in a hallway at State Supreme Court in Nassau County. Saying that thousands of children have been victimized, she added, "I am their voice."

The purpose of her suit was to "see the truth come out" and to "prevent the abuse of children everywhere," she said. "Children cannot protect themselves from sexual predators."

Link: Article
      It was very big news here. Because soon after, Bishop Murphy, who was second in command under Cardinal Law, was accused of all sorts of mishandling of funds, spending needlessly on renovations (which he would benefit from) while making cuts to charity orgs or parish schools.

Nothing changed, however, and he still remains Bishop.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Wed May 30, 2012 at 11:20:10 AM PDT

•  The Philly case is a criminal case (2+ / 0-)
        Roxine, kishik

That is the significance of it.  No upper echelon clergyman has ever been criminally convicted for the cover-up.  Not here, nor, to my recollection, anywhere else.  Money has papered over the issue.  A criminal conviction introduces a new element.

It is fitting that the District Attorney in Philadelphla is a devout Catholic.

Ancora Impara--Michelangelo

by aravir on Thu May 31, 2012 at 05:31:37 AM PDT

•  Yes, this is why I'm following the case with (1+ / 0-)
          aravir

interest.  Also, if you didn't see it, I posted a diary about a documentary released in mid-May about

">Cardinal Sean Brady

and his involvement in the cover-up of sexual abuse.

We are truly at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to child sexual abuse and coverup.

by Roxine on Thu May 31, 2012 at 07:13:41 AM PDT

•  In this particular instance (1+ / 0-)
          Roxine

It was very big, since regardless of criminal or civil court, a favorable decision to the victims came down.

I certainly was not advocating that one case is more important than another if that is what you read from my comment.

But the Rockville Centre diocese also had been involved in covering up csa by quietly paying families off... Or reassigning priests elsewhere.

by kishik on Thu May 31, 2012 at 12:35:34 PM PDT

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site