View Diary: Climate denial: The GOP war on science should be the Democrats' greatest political weapon (253 comments)

•  I hate "climate change". (0+ / 0-)

I seriously doubt that humans are causing most climate change.

Global warming?
    We're driving that like James Dean on his last night.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 09:22:20 AM PDT

•  Um..... 'global warming' DRIVES (3+ / 0-)
      sfcouple, mightymouse, Calamity Jean

the 'climate change' we are talking about.

Human-induced global warming is just too many words for americans, so we say "global warming" OR "climate change".

I don't need a rec on this comment

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 10:01:25 AM PDT

•  "The climate change we are talking about" (0+ / 0-)

Except people don't say "The climate change we are talking about", they just say "climate changes" -- which muddies the picture and rightfully invites skepticism.

The only climate constant in earth's history is change.  It's always changing, always has, and likely always will.

Most of that change is stuff we can't do much about.

However -- we can do something about the crap we're dumping into the atmosphere, the warming it causes, and the climate consequences of that warming.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 10:38:28 AM PDT

•  why do you seriously doubt it? (0+ / 0-)

what else would it be?

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 11:01:57 AM PDT

•  Funny you should ask that, as I was asked last (0+ / 0-)

night how I could be sure about global warming when climate change -- even radical climate change -- was happening long before people walked the earth.

My response was , "Yup, but we are making worse, and we're doing it far faster than most natural processes."

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 11:34:48 AM PDT

•  what are you talking about? (0+ / 0-)

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 11:50:46 AM PDT

•  Climate change predates humans by billions (0+ / 0-)

of years is what I'm talking about.  It's one of the reasons I hate the use of the mushy "climate change" instead of the more correct "global warming".  The specific climate changes we are talking about are the ones brought about by deforestation and greenhouse gas emissions.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 02:56:25 PM PDT

•  both have happened in the past (0+ / 0-)

from non-human causes.

still don't get your point though.

we are talking about current day anthropogenic climate change. is there some doubt about this?

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 05:46:52 PM PDT

•  Ah --- I think I understand the problem. (1+ / 0-)
                mightymouse

My apologies ---

I wasn't talking about the topic per se, merely grousing about the term.  I much prefer "global warming" to climate change because I believe it to be a more correct and precise description of the topic, and....

MUCH easier to sell.

Which is not, of course, to say easy.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 08:07:02 PM PDT

• Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Politics (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Economy (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site