View Diary: Updated: Verified - Woman Denies Walker Fathered Baby - MJS Columnist Daniel Bice (153 comments)

•  Thank you for clearing this up. (0+ / 0-)

Now that we know the truth that the story is bogus, some housekeeping is in order.

I'd like to know if the mirrored story of the wmcoop story at UppityWisconsin by Jud Lounsbury has been taken down. I can't see that myself, as apparently I've been banned there for posting a comment that the story did not have a credible source. My comment was taken down twice before the site became inaccessible to me.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 01:18:45 PM PDT

•  And, oh yeah, (0+ / 0-)

I'm pissed about it!

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 01:47:03 PM PDT

•  Really, you were not banned (1+ / 0-)
      FishOutofWater

It's like this --- all comments containing links go into moderation. All of your posts contained links.  They were all moderated.  We approved one of them, since there was no point in approving all of the identical comments.

You are not banned.  We had a huge spike of traffic at the site largely due to this story and a few others, and we were having some trouble handling the traffic earlier today - so if you couldn't get to the site, that's why, not because you were "banned".  I am sure that if you go there now you will see that you can get to the site just fine. We don't ban readers. Please don't make up conspiracy theories.  I said the same on Widgy's site, where you made the same allegation.   He has not approved the comment yet and may or may not in the future.  But I don't believe I've been "banned" from his site either.

As to the story - it remains on the site - it is not a featured article, but it is still up.   The story is about an allegation that was made by someone who we believed to be a credible source.  We've included the information from Dan Bice that "Ruth" denies the story.  The story is somewhat unclear at the moment.  We're saying it's somewhat unclear.

•  Don't jump to conclusions. A good lesson to learn. (1+ / 0-)
        jorogo

I'm a geochemist who blogs primarily about environmental science. I want to base my conclusions on reliable evidence.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for posting a story on a blog from an apparently credible source but I want to keep progressives from getting distracted from GOTV and Walker's corruption in office.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 05:52:25 PM PDT

•  Good advice. (1+ / 0-)
          FishOutofWater

Reliable evidence is essential, and sources must be considered. The problem with the wcmcoop story is primarily that we have no source, other than the anonymous, "by NON-MEMBER" attribution.

It's not often that science is advanced by the anonymous dropping-off of critical evidence. But if it is, it's only going to happen through thorough confirmation of every bit of that evidence.

This one's not even close to starting down that road.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:20:14 PM PDT

•  Thank you for the explaination, but, (0+ / 0-)

I cannot access UppityWisconsin either from the link which I've used for quite some time, nor from an internet search, nor from entering the url directly, on either of 2 computers here. I am always re-directed to a GAB sign-in website.

Instructing a friend to Uppity from their location, they had no problem instantly accessing the Uppity website.

What do you think is wrong there?

My comment, of which there was only one (at a time, until it disappeared), contained no link, nor was it repetitive of any other comment. Want to see? I have a screen shot of the results of my second attempt, before it, too, disappeared, and which does not appear to be awaiting moderation. I asked who was the "impeccable source", if Gillick had been contacted, and if the alleged attorney's statement could be found anywhere online other than references to the wcmcoop story.

I'd like to work with you on this, but for now, from this location, Uppity is not available to this computer or my spare. What should I think, that my rural ISP coop's blocked you in the middle of a Sunday?

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:10:24 PM PDT

•  I must add that, (2+ / 0-)
        gramofsam1, FishOutofWater

while most seem to be fixated on the credibility of Dr. Gillick as a source, few seem to be questioning the source of the wcmcoop story itself, known only as "non-member", who we're relying on to have accurately passed Dr. Gillick's claims on in the story.

That's more than unclear, it's a huge credibility problem. Bice puts his name to his stories so we can check his credibility, if we don't know that already. We should at least get a pseudonym to cross-check for the author of a blockbuster story like this one.

"All war is stupid" - JFK

by jorogo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:35:39 PM PDT

•  Apology to UppityWis (2+ / 0-)
        RhymesWithUrple, FishOutofWater

I was able to access your site this morning, so I am not banned. I also saw the comment which I though had been taken down. It wasn't. The comments defaulted to "oldest first", so my comment first appeared on top, then on refreshing disappeared from my view, but was downthread. I tried repeatedly to access the site to check that yesterday, but was unable. As I had the same results on a second computer here while others elsewhere had no problem accessing Uppity, I still don't understand what happened.

But I owe you an apology, and here it is... I'm sorry to have claimed that my comment was taken down, and I'm sorry to have said I was banned. I was wrong.

It was not the first bad judgment I used yesterday - the first was in taking as fact that Daniel Bice was the commenter debunking the wcmcoop story. I quickly became skeptical and admitted I was wrong about that, too. The fact that it was eventually proven that it actually was Bice does not absolve me from having made a rash assumption. Much thanks are due to those who contacted Bice for verification. After correcting my initial assumption, that's what I did. After having already posted your story mirroring the wcmcoop story, you did the same.

My mistaks are directly analogous to those made by everyone passing the original wcmcoop story around without questioning it's lack of verifiable sourcing.  If they had, there may have been no need for others, including me, to hurriedly try to put out the fires. I hope they continue to question their own judgment and correct the record, as I have here.

"All war is stupid" - JFK