View Diary: 'Media Critic' excoriates FOX news EMPLOYEES as working for an outlaw, rogue organization. (124 comments)

•   Local Fox news in San Diego in the (2+ / 0-)
    xxdr zombiexx, salmo

morning doesn't seem to be slanted to the right more than just barely. I watch it and don't feel nauseated like when Cable Fox news comes on. It's basically the same as the other morning local news shows. So, if I want to stop Fox News on cable, should I stop watching the local show? Should I stop watching The Simpsons on the Fox network?
    How about my guitar students, if they support, or watch Fox news, should I drop them?
    Where do you draw the line?
    Believe me, I have asked myself if I should do these things, but deciding where to draw the line it tough. Of course I don't watch cable Fox unless it's by accident.

"But Brandine, you're supposed to be in Iraq stopping 911!"

by leftyguitarist on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:30:25 AM PDT

•  Fox doesn't own your local Fox in San Diego (9+ / 0-)

The local newscasts on your Fox in San Diego (and in most markets around the country, for that matter) don't really have anything to do with the Ailes/Murdoch/Fox News Channel.

The San Diego station is owned by Tribune (at least for now; the company's in bankruptcy and the stations are likely to be sold sooner or later), and while they share a graphics package and some national reporting from FNC, they don't answer to Ailes or Murdoch.

I watched the baseball game on the Fox network last night, and I'll keep watching the Simpsons, too.

Murdoch is a businessman before he's an ideologue, and he understands (correctly, I think) that it's in his best business interest to keep the Fox TV network and Fox Sports and FX cable and the other pieces of his US TV empire walled off from teh crazy at Fox News Channel.

(And he's not alone in that: you don't see the business reporters from CNBC echoing what Rachel and Ed are saying on MSNBC, either.)

Intended to be a factual statement.

by ipsos on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:36:41 AM PDT

•  Thanks Zombie, on another San Diego topic, (5+ / 0-)

looks like DA and Mayoral Candidate Bonnie Dumanis just lost a case against a local MJ grower, provider.
        Yay for our side!

"But Brandine, you're supposed to be in Iraq stopping 911!"

by leftyguitarist on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:38:46 AM PDT

•  This is important to know. (8+ / 0-)

I had no idea that the ownership was this separated. I am glad to know this.

As far as cable FOX goes, I have long thought that this should be another meme that the Dems are missing in language. It is the FOX Propaganda station. It should be treated as such as empirical fact. It should NEVER be referred to as a news station. EVER.

The progressive left should be so on message with this that it starts to become the only language that comes to mind when you hear, say or think FOX in this country. Not just for us, but for everyone.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West

by COwoman on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 06:49:54 AM PDT

•  Murdoch is a businessman before he's an ideologue (1+ / 0-)
        orlbucfan

Yes and no. His papers don't make much money. Some lose money. But he owns them for their influence on the public. It's why he has the Wall Street Journal. It's a shadow of its former self, but still has cache as THE business paper to read.
        Otherwise he does allow things (like Simpsons, etc.) to be on his networks to provide ratings and get him money.

Isn’t it ironic to think that man might determine his own future by something so seemingly trivial as the choice of an insect spray. ~ Rachel Carson, Silent Spring ~

by MA Liberal on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 07:54:54 AM PDT

•  Ugh. (0+ / 0-)

I stayed at a hotel in San Diego that showed Fox News on the elevators.

I think it was the Marriot, but I'm not sure anymore.

By Day 2 I was like "get me out of here!!!!"

"The disturbing footage depicts piglets being drop kicked and swung by their hind legs. Sows are seen being kicked and shoved as they resist leaving their piglets."

by Bush Bites on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 08:31:39 AM PDT

•  I met a writer for The Simpsons (2+ / 0-)
        jabney, ipsos

at a party (it was actually a Democratic fundraiser for a local candidate) and I couldn't resist asking him how he dealt with the obvious cognitive dissonance, and how they dealt with Murdoch's. He told me there is no cognitive dissonance since they can write whatever they want, that Murdoch thinks the whole thing is a hoot, and he's never more amused than when he's mentioned on the show. And you know those mentions are never positive.

by sidnora on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 11:45:34 AM PDT

•  Local Fox station gets my finger when I see them.. (0+ / 0-)

....doing remotes outside.

They know what it's about.

by Bush Bites on Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 08:30:07 AM PDT

•  The local Fox station (not Fox News) (0+ / 0-)

simply broadcasts the NBC station news at 10 PM.  Now, maybe they put their thumb on the scales when it comes to what gets coverage, I don't know.   I try to be in bed before any of that happens.  I do not think that besmirches the professionals at the other station beyond participating in a broadcast which includes a tacit admission that Fox doesn't care about local news.