View Diary: Rush says the PGA Tour is fixed (66 comments)

•  Wait... Why? (2+ / 0-)
    RichM, BleacherBum153
    The PGA should and must address this.
    Don't get me wrong, if they want to, that's fine.  But it's not like Tiger Woods is some kind of champion of the little guy that Rush is wronging.  Who cares what Old White Exhibit A says about Old White Sport Exhibit A?

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 11:44:48 AM PDT

•  Claiming that a sport is "fixed" (1+ / 0-)
      funluvn1

That is something that needs to be addressed.  It's not like Rush is talking to himself in an elevator - the man is broadcasting this crap nationwide to a bunch of mushy headed Limbots who actually believe what he is saying.

The sport should address the accusation.

I haven't been here long enough to be considered a Kossack, does that mean that I'm just a sack?

by Hey338Too on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 11:53:35 AM PDT

•  Why give him attention? His listeners won't (1+ / 0-)
        BleacherBum153

believe any denials by the PGA and the sane world couldn't care less what he thinks.

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 12:25:56 PM PDT

•  Attention = fewer sponsors... (0+ / 0-)

... especially those big sponsors that he's looking for - like the ones that sponsor PGA events.

by Hey338Too on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 12:34:49 PM PDT

•  It looks like the PGA was libeled if he actually (1+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too

said that  ". . .All Rush took from it was that Rory played to lose, and then guessed that Rory got the champions purse from the PGA for throwing the tournament. . . ."

Since I did not listen to the clip (and won't), maybe he thinks that if he "guessed that" was enough of a qualifier to mean that he did not specifically allege that the PGA colluded with the player to throw the tournament, then maybe he, his producer and his legal team made a calculation that he would not be sued for libel because of some weasel words.

To me, it sounds like an attack on the integrity of the entire PGA tour, and the billions of dollars that represents.  To me, that looks like damaging libel.  If I was the PGA, I would sue him.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 02:51:50 PM PDT

•  I've listened to the rant a number of times (0+ / 0-)

He starts out with the premise in very strong terms and then he backtracked with "I don't have any evidence" and "I'm just putting it out there".  Then he stopped talking about it and took a call about a totally different subject.

But the first part of his comments, where he makes the claims, made me irate.  There was no doubt that he defamed the PGA and Rory Sabbatini, then he minimized Tiger's win by claiming collusion by his competitors.

by Hey338Too on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 03:50:59 PM PDT

•  This is the crux of Rush's comments (0+ / 0-)
        Say, Rory Sabbatini, who was tied for second. How do we know that Sabbatini didn't say: "You know what? For the good of golf, I'm going to lose? For the good of golf, I'm going to make sure that Tiger wins. I'm going to do what I can to make sure that I flub up enough here and there so that I don't do better than Tiger"? And what if the other competitors who were close did the same thing? If we were to learn... This is just a hypothetical. I just want to throw it out there.
        If we were to learn that Rory Sabbatini and the rest of the field in the Top 5 purposely did not try to beat Tiger Woods so that Tiger would win and feel better about himself, "It's been a long time. The game needs Tiger back." Everybody knows this. Everybody talks about it. Everybody admits it. Everybody wants Tiger to be happy again. What if we were to learn that all of these competitors who had a chance to win basically chucked it? Not noticeably, but nevertheless purposefully.
        Just so that Tiger would win and the game of golf overall would benefit and they would benefit by losing, because the game's popularity might thus return. Money might thus return. Viewership might increase. Sponsorships might increase. All it would take is Tiger winning here and there. Now, Snerdley says, "What are we talking about? It would never happen. These guys are too competitive. They wouldn't lay down on purpose to let Tiger win." Ah-ah-ah! That's not what we're learning is rewarded.

by Hey338Too on Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 04:06:38 PM PDT