View Diary: Wisconsin turnout through the roof (336 comments)

•  fascinating (4+ / 0-)
    lirtydies, defluxion10, sideboth, HCKAD
    According to the 2010 Census, 86.2% of the population was White (83.3% non-Hispanic white), 6.3% was Black or African American, 1.0% American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.3% Asian, 1.8% from two or more races. 5.9% of the total population was of Hispanic or Latino origin (they may be of any race).[44]
    So a portion of the population who is only 6.3% of all residents of Wisconsin can decide the entire election. Amazing.

This merely confirms that my school district was not alone in those districts that had, for a time, that weird math that involved putting numbers in boxes but didn't involve learning actual math.

I'm struck by how the meanest, cruelest, nastiest people brag about how they live in a Christian nation. It's rather telling.

by terrypinder on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 11:33:13 AM PDT

•  I See..... (3+ / 0-)
      Supavash, Sue B, IM

You're saying Barrett does not need minority voters in Milwaukee and Racine to show up and vote for him this time?

What a load.

Apparently you're forgeting Barrett lost last time by a mere 124,000+ votes.

Now I understand why democrats continue to lose close elections.

"I don't feel the change yet". Velma Hart

by Superpole on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 11:56:32 AM PDT

•  white people need to show up too. (0+ / 0-)

also, they're likely the supermajority of Wisconsin's Democratic-registered electorate simply based on the demographics of the state. So, there's that.

But I'll just let y'all cook.

by terrypinder on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:05:40 PM PDT

•  Are you trying to be mean? Why? What's the (1+ / 0-)
          Delilah

payoff, terrypinder?

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:53:21 PM PDT

•  we got blamed for prop 8 (and that wasn't true) (0+ / 0-)

we got blamed for 2010 (also, not really true). After awhile, one gets tired of being blamed for the entire party's failures. Or nation. We get it from the Right enough (we're aborting ourselves out of existence while at the same time breaking the budget by having millions of welfare babies.) America. Whatever.

there's a reason there aren't many black people blogging here at Daily Kos.

by terrypinder on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 01:08:48 PM PDT

•  Perhaps my district put (3+ / 0-)
      bythesea, rubyr, IM

numbers in boxes as well, but I don't get your point. If the 93.7% of the electorate that isn't black splits their votes to within a point or two -- and polls suggest that's a strong possibility -- then whether AAs turn out at 2008 or 2010 levels could, in fact, swing the election. Right?

In a close election there's no single swing factor, of course -- any one of a number of things could tip the balance. But I don't see where the diary suggested otherwise.

You are reading my signature line. #hashtag

by cardinal on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:07:07 PM PDT

•  The point is... (3+ / 0-)
        cardinal, sideboth, terrypinder

If Walker wins the blogs will be "the negros did it again!".  You know, like every time something unpopular succeeds.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing online commenters that they have anything to say.-- B.F.

by lcj98 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:19:17 PM PDT

•  gotcha. (1+ / 0-)
          rubyr

I really don't think Markos was playing that angle in the diary. However, I understand the caution.

You are reading my signature line. #hashtag

by cardinal on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:21:22 PM PDT

•  good... (0+ / 0-)
            But the bigger issue is Milwaukee, where African American and other Democratic-leaning voters stayed home in 2010 and cost Democrats the governor's mansion.
            That line right there seems to be setup to a possible blame game tonight.

by lcj98 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:38:11 PM PDT

•  Well, anyone who still uses the term (0+ / 0-)

"negros" is likely going to want to blame them for everything. That, in itself, is a racist use of language in 2012, for most people.

by rubyr on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 01:25:12 PM PDT

•  ... (0+ / 0-)

Nice to see you completely missed the point.

by lcj98 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 01:32:49 PM PDT

•  Maybe I did miss the point but I don't think (0+ / 0-)

so and that wasn't my intention. I really believe what I posted. You quoted the word "negroes" and I believe the use of the word reflects a backward mindset that would predispose people to blame AAs for everything. I am sorry to have offended you and I assure you that I am not the enemy.

by rubyr on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 02:56:58 PM PDT

•  I went and found the same statistic (0+ / 0-)

because that line in the diary bothered me as well.  AA low turnout has zero baring on elections.

•  U.S. or Wisconsin demographics? (0+ / 0-)

Stats seem suspicious if they are U.S. AA have constituted 12-13% of the population for quite a while.

•  Wisconsin demographics (0+ / 0-)

WI is a very white state. This is straight from census.

by terrypinder on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 06:40:32 PM PDT