View Diary: Wisconsin turnout through the roof (336 comments)

•  careful, kos, everybody KNOWS (3+ / 0-)
    edwardssl, avsp, hardart

that this statement

But the bigger issue is Milwaukee, where African American and other Democratic-leaning voters stayed home in 2010 and cost Democrats the governor's mansion.
    is nothing but a conspiracy theory around here!

/snark

•  Guy on the Ed Show (15+ / 0-)

"it looked like Black Friday shopping"...

•  That was in the village of Waunakee (5+ / 0-)

which is very white.  Still, glad to hear that the guy who made that comment was helping drive elderly folks there to vote.  He also reported that one lady said to him "He (Walker) is hurting my granddaughter."

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. Louis D. Brandeis

by 3goldens on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 12:14:21 PM PDT

•  The one and only Waunakee in the World (1+ / 0-)
          3goldens

(except for the one on the East coast with slightly different spelling)

I've landed my airplane more than once at Waunakee "International". Seven an one half feet wide, directly into the setting sun, and not level at all.

A good friend once lived there. He moved away giving us one less Republican voter. Truth is, I don't think he ever bothered to vote. He worked with many employees in state agencies, though.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 01:24:49 PM PDT

•  Thanks for sharing. Made me laugh (1+ / 0-)
            GrumpyOldGeek

about Waunakee "International"!  Verona used to have an airport that was similar to that.  I don't know if that's even still there.   I badly needed something to distract me.  The tension is killing me and likely half the state!

by 3goldens on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 03:33:57 PM PDT

•  My first grass field experience was at (1+ / 0-)
              3goldens

Tobacco City "International" Airport. It's just north of Edgerton and officially located in Albion, WI.

And holy moley, I did a quick Google Map search and there's somebody who drove a Google-cam-car down that road. It's now called Jana Airport (I remember Sam Jana and his old Piper Cherokee!). It's classified as private now.  My ex-bro-in-law still keeps his airplane hangared here.

And here's Tobacco City "International" on the Google Map machine! That wide green vertical stripe in the center of lower part of the view is the north end of the runway. The "A" marker is on the parking ramp between the runway and the hangars on the right. On the other side of the east-west road is a house that's perfectly centered at the north end of the runway.

Whenever we planned a flight that included a night arrival, we would phone the owner of that house and ask him to "leave the light on" for us. He turned his back porch light on for us. A 100 watt light bulb met our needs. We don't need no stinkin' fancy landing lights!

When I dropped down to the Google Street view, I noticed that somebody mounted a couple of lanterns on the fence by the road. That's what I call a major airport improvement! I suspect that these are just plain old battery-powered lanterns with red globes.

I fondly remember mowing the runway a few times with an ancient International Farmall B tractor and a side-sickle. Lots of flights in and out of there. Great memories.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 05:44:00 PM PDT

•  I never knew there was an airport (1+ / 0-)
                GrumpyOldGeek

near Edgerton.  My Norwegian grandfather (my mother's dad) was a tobacco farmer near Edgerton so I'm sure familiar with Edgerton and tobacco being in the same sentence.  Never heard about that airport, though.  That airport must have more going for it that it has a parking ramp than what I recall of the airport in Verona.  It had a hanger and a windsock and that's about it.  I don't think it's even there anymore.

That's a riot about the "back porch light" for landing purposes!  That must have made for some interesting night landings.  Apparently all went OK as you're still here to tell about them!  Kudos to you for being a pilot.  I like flying---especially at night---but could never fly a plane.   I have enough trouble parallel-parking a car (and thank God I don't have to do that very often with parking lots and parking ramps now)!

Polls are now closed in Wisconsin for about 40 minutes and results are starting to stream in.  Just saw a report from Walker headquarters with a big crowd there.  Former Gov. Tommy Thompson was interviewed and he's all confident and positive that Walker is going to win and that Romney is going to beat Obama.  GAG!  Swear to God I'm not going to breathe normally until we find out the final results.  And there are still people voting on the North side of Milwaukee----they ran out of ballots and had to wait for more.  As long as they were in line before 8:00 PM, they get to vote.  Hunkering down until the final results are in.  Walker  OUT; Barrett IN!

by 3goldens on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 06:45:38 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I'm bummed. I'm trying to absorb the lessons (1+ / 0-)
                  3goldens

In the other side of my brain, I'm pleased about the change of subject and the recollections of

It takes a while to learn to recognize things from above. Soon, the paved runways are easier to find and later, grass strips and some of the more obscure landing areas, like Waunakee or the old Playboy Club runway, now another private community airstrip near the Americana Resort in Lake Geneva become easier to find.

There are a surprising number of airstrips and fields suitable for use by small airplanes. It was always fun to drop in at Albion when giving someone an airplane ride. Those who aren't familiar with grass runways don't realize that we're actually going to land there until we're almost on the ground. It simply looks like the surrounding farmland. The hangars look like farm buildings. The parking ramp is exactly the same composition as a pasture but without the fencing and farm animals. The runway isn't paved, so the airplane touches down on a slightly bumpy surface. And it's suddenly a noisy.

Imagine that you're riding smoothly through the air sitting inside a large breadbox on roller skates. There's a moment when the roller skates touch down on that bumpy unpaved road at about 60 mph. It's suddenly quite noisy inside that breadbox. But you slow down quickly and the noise stops.

Then I want to do that again, and again, and again.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 09:34:44 PM PDT

•  Black Friday: (0+ / 0-)

Has absolutely nothing to do with race.

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 01:16:30 PM PDT