View Diary: WI: Dems Take Back State Senate! (53 comments)

•  Redistricting or not (12+ / 0-)

If walker is indicted that will change things in November as well, dems might have a better chance of holding the state senate.

The big question is if walker gets indicted.....

•  Or even better, if Kleefisch does as well. (4+ / 0-)
      madhaus, wishingwell, PeterHug, JVolvo

Found this little tidbit regarding gubernatorial succession.

in the event of a vacancy in the office of the lieutenant governor, the governor nominates a candidate who becomes lieutenant governor for the remainder of the term upon his approval by the Wisconsin Assembly and Wisconsin State Senate.
      So, if Walker is out, Kleefisch moves to the governors office, thereby creating a vacancy at lt gov.  And the Senate has to approve any nomination.  And when she goes, that nominee becomes governor.

What if they refuse to approve anyone?

Just dreaming.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:11:45 AM PDT

•  I really doubt Kleefisch is guilty (1+ / 0-)
        badscience

at least of anything John Doe-related. The secret email system was actually used against her in the LG primary, and she has little connection to Milwaukee County where the hanky panky occurred.

Male, 21, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02, remorseless supporter of Walker's recall. Pocan for Congress and Baldwin for Senate!

by fearlessfred14 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:15:19 AM PDT

•  You're no fun. (0+ / 0-)

Throwing a wet blanket on my fantasizing by introducing facts.

I actually know almost nothing about Kleefisch - except her nasty public statements.  But that's enough for me to want to see her gone at the same time as Walker.  But a majority of Wisconsin voters say otherwise.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 06:02:10 AM PDT

•  The question now seems to be (1+ / 0-)
      wishingwell

not if but whether he will be indicted first by the DA or the feds!  That latter tidbit got lost in the recall nooz buzz of recent days.

"Let all the dreamers wake the nation." -- Carly Simon

by Cream City on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:14:52 AM PDT

•  And if he is convicted (1+ / 0-)
        Cream City

Indicted won't be enough to remove him from office.

by fearlessfred14 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:16:35 AM PDT

•  I have become very cynical about the chances (0+ / 0-)

of this DOJ indicting any major Republican politicians.  It's just not their style.  We're still waiting for an indictment of Joe Arpaio in Arizona, and the US attorney started investigating Arpaio under the Bush Administration.  Former Bush Administration officials enjoyed complete impunity once Pres Obama took office; not one of them was indicted or even seriously investigated by DOJ.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but seriously, have there been any indictments of leading Republicans during this Administration?  I can't think of any.  Ney, Abramoff, Cunningham, all of those were indicted and tried during the Bush Administration.  Whether misguided or not, I think that the strategy from the top down has been to try to dampen partisan warfare by carefully pulling punches when it comes to indicting  Republican leadership, unless the violations are so obvious and egregious that they have no choice in the matter.  I'm not sure that they feel as if they can indict Walker, or that his crimes are so severe that they can do so without appearing to be engaging in political prosecutions.  I think they are wrong, but it seems unimaginable to me that they will actually indict him.

He may be a crook, but like all GOP crooks at the highest level, he's pretty well immune from prosecution unless he commits a violent act in public.  We are not exactly a nation known for rule of law these days.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 10:42:39 AM PDT

•  So what? (2+ / 0-)
          ivorybill, wishingwell

Who cares if there's a perception of these being political prosecutions.  The other side would do it in a heartbeat for far less honorable reasons, and they'd blast it in the media for all to see.  These Republicans need to be investigated and dealt with, particularly the ones that have actually broken laws.  Political optics be damned, put the screws to every last one of them.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. We still miss you Jack, we'll make you proud.

by BC Progressive on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 11:03:49 AM PDT

•  Of course I agree with you (0+ / 0-)

If they broke the law, prosecute.

My first point is that the current DOJ does not have a strong history of seriously investigating or prosecuting Republicans.  My second point is that President Obama has consistently erred on the side of bipartisanship.  Put the two together, and it seems to me the Administration is not eager to be putting too many Republican governors on trial.

by ivorybill on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 11:12:50 AM PDT

•  I see your point (0+ / 0-)

It just bothers me that our side likes to unilaterally disarm like this.  Especially since President Obama is never going to get a fair shake from any of the Republicans.  Killer instincts, it's time to develop some, this would just be a nice, law-abiding way to start.

by BC Progressive on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 04:10:46 PM PDT