View Diary: Romney Supported Vietnam War, Demonstrated Against Demonstrators, and then Avoided Draft (98 comments)

•  Plenty of neoliberals supporting the current wars. (0+ / 0-)

And plenty of them didn't serve either.

"The Global War on Terror is a justification for U.S. Imperialism. It must be stopped."

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 09:55:39 AM PDT

•  ? n/t (3+ / 0-)

"Back off, back off, he's got his own dreams that won't come true!"

by satanicpanic on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 10:19:47 AM PDT

•  Just FYI, "neoliberal" != "liberal." (1+ / 0-)
        satanicpanic

In political science, the term neoliberal refers to someone who embraces unfettered freedom of the marketplace. More generally, it can refer to dogmatic capitalists of all stripes - bankers, industrialists and those of the moneyed elite that place profit over social good or individual human welfare.

This term is often misunderstood in colloquial speech. In this sense, I put in the same category as "corporatism" - a word which does not mean "rule by corporations," as many people seem to think, but instead refers to the organization of society into a hierarchy in service to an autocrat or controlling party.

---

•  Let's keep it on Mitt (4+ / 0-)
      Zinman, satanicpanic, TomP, BigAlinWashSt

OK? My brother served in VietNam and died there. Mitt "longed" to be in VietNam, he was pro-war, he protested people who were trying to shut it down.

He needs to put his money where his mouth is for once in his miserable, privileged experience. Let him explain why he wants war in Iran.

Let him explain why his sons never served anything but the money God!

In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God ~RFK

by vcmvo2 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 12:51:39 PM PDT

•  I agree about Mitt. I'm a vet, Vietnam era (0+ / 0-)

because I was underwater in a sub.  I just want consistency when it comes to who supports war and who didn't serve.  It's not just republicans.

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 02:46:07 PM PDT

•  No it never has been! (1+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt

LBJ screwed up VietNam royally. It was his Tet offensive. He did many great things as President but he was a war mongering idiot.

Still Mitt wants the old nuclear button. I want a better explanation from him of why he longed to be in VietNam but didn't enlist. He is still saber rattling.

One can support war for the wrong reasons. My father fought honorably in WWII in North Africa and Italy. His focus was Nazis and fascism - but my Dad did not pretend a love of all things war. He supported Vietnam and the Domino theory until it became apparent to him that this was not the same thing at all.

People can differ on why we go to war but they should at least make sense. Mitt "counter-protested" a despicable war. He should explain that. He wants the Commander in Chief responsibility. Let's actually get his theory of why saber rattling in the Mid East serves any other god damn purpose than empire building.

After 9/11 this country accepted war in the GWOT - it made me sick but I could see getting Al-Quaeda. But as a criminal exercise not as an excuse for endless war. Iraq was wrong, I knew it then and why did I? Because of VietNam. So let's get Mitt to really explain all his inconsistencies. My brother enlisted. Mitt could have too!

by vcmvo2 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 03:28:05 PM PDT

•  Good comment and sorry about your brother man. (1+ / 0-)
            vcmvo2

My sister lost her husband over there and I had a number of friends who came back but in bad shape.
            Peace to you.

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 04:16:11 PM PDT

BigAlinWashSt

I'm glad for the ones that made it back but losing someone in that War was really traumatic. I have a son who is almost 18 now and he and I often talk about this.

He has agreed not to enlist but he had some teenage moments there where he thought the idea was "cool". I got him to work for all kinds of liberal causes instead.

He wants to work in public service- I really feel for those who came back because they all had to deal with the trauma and little support. I think that's changing.

I'm sorry for your sister and your loss as well. The best thing we can do is keep it fresh in people's minds as what it really was.

Peace to you also.

by vcmvo2 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 07:47:14 PM PDT

• Recommended (122)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (23)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site