View Diary: Pertussis and the 100 awful days. (75 comments)

•  Reminds me of my summer of '95. (13+ / 0-)

Went to pick the kids up at daycare and a sign was going up in the 4-year old's room saying that a child in that class had been dx'ed with chickenpox.  I got the three kids home and asked him to pull up his shirt, and sure enough, there were the first little pox blossoming.  I asked my 3-year old daughter to pull up her shirt, and she did, then announced

I don't have chicken pops, Mom, I have ipples.
    After I stopped laughing I took them all to the pediatrician, who confirmed that the oldest did indeed have the pox, and that the others were now exposed.  As we walked out, they were putting up a sign that the varicella vaccine was now available.  Too late.

The kids went seriatim, and it was about eight weeks of misery.  Ugh!

(BTW, you senior Kossacks, if you had chixpox as a kid, go get your shingles vaccine when you get your pertussis booster.)

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 10:58:52 AM PDT

•  My oldest boys escaped chicken pox (6+ / 0-)

until their teen years. The vaccine was available in Canada and had seriously thought about taking them there to get it when they were 10 and 8 but their pediatrician advised against that,

I knew how Chicken pox could be very dangerous to teens and adults.

We had another child when they were 15 and 13. He was vaccinated for Chicken pox, I think at age one or so.

The next year my middle son got the virus. He was sick as can be. My oldest had just started a new job in the kitchen at the hospital nearby. He was banished from work for 30 days. He got the pox and was miserable. Luckily they didn't have serious complications.

The youngest did have a few pox- less than 20. A very, very mild case.

YES WE DID! November 4th, 2008

by Esjaydee on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 11:10:10 AM PDT

•  My oldest did not receive the vaccine for (6+ / 0-)

chicken pox until he was 5. To my knowledge he has never had chicken pox but he did have shingles when he was 11. Supposedly this is very rare in kids who have had the vaccine and not the actual pox. The shingles experience was MISERABLE. Another example of having to stay away from people with compromised immunity. He suffered and there was nothing we could do for him.

AND WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT HEALTH CARE IN 2011? -- Susan from 29

by voracious on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 11:31:26 AM PDT

•  I learn something new (6+ / 0-)

every time I'm on DK.

I had NO idea that children could even get shingles. Rare or not.

My mother (87) received a shingles vaccine a couple of years ago.

I've only known one person who has had shingles and she was miserable! She was one of those who had enduring nerve pain for many, many months. She was mid-70's when she developed the illness.

YES WE DID! November 4th, 2008

by Esjaydee on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 11:45:54 AM PDT

•  My pediatrician said that shingles is (4+ / 0-)

not unusual in young people, they just don't talk about it like old people do. And that is true. I haven't heard my son talk about it ever in the last 4 years. I was probably more traumatized than he was!

AND WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT HEALTH CARE IN 2011? -- Susan from 29

by voracious on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 12:13:55 PM PDT

•  My brother had shingles at age 5 (4+ / 0-)
              Naniboujou, Esjaydee, voracious, ms badger

It was hell.  Sheer hell.  It was back in the 1970s and there weren't any antiviral medications to cut the intensity or duration.

My little brother spent weeks and weeks on the sofa, not moving.  He was normally hyperactive, so to see him so still was disturbing.  The shingles were on his face and scalp and affected one eye severely and he had to see an eye specialist.   Months of residual eye pain followed and since he was little, he picked and messed with the shingles blisters and was very scarred, especially on his forehead.

Oddly, he had three chickenpox spots on his torso.  I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

I am curious- does the chickenpox vaccine protect against shingles or must one get that vaccination as well?

Reason, observation, and experience; the holy trinity of science. Robert Green Ingersoll

by offred on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 12:49:07 PM PDT

•  How terrible that must have been... (3+ / 0-)
                voracious, ms badger, marykk

for your brother and those having to care for him.

I've only recently begun to see television ads for the shingles vaccine. In those, it is older people telling their story of the pain and misery and advising others to get the vaccine if they've ever had chicken pox.

I was under the impression one has to have been exposed to chicken pox at sometime in their life in order to get shingles...but I really don't know. I'm now going to go look that up.

YES WE DID! November 4th, 2008

by Esjaydee on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 01:05:52 PM PDT

•  I don't know if the chicken pox vaccine (3+ / 0-)
                ms badger, marykk, Esjaydee

protects against shingles. It might only in that it protects against the chicken pox which I believe is related to shingles.

My son was in agony. And it was so weird. He was complaining that his side hurt and when I looked there was a tiny little rash that was barely visible. I was concerned because he was complaining about pain for something that didn't look painful. It was right at the waistline of his shorts. When he was telling the doctor about it the doctor looked at me and said "Sounds like shingles" I was astonished and told him that is what I was thinking but that I thought only old people get shingles. That poor kid. He had to miss the whole second and third weeks of school because a kid in his class had cancer and he was so sick he just sat on the couch. It is a miserable thing.

AND WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT HEALTH CARE IN 2011? -- Susan from 29

by voracious on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 02:37:32 PM PDT

•  Varicella is a funny virus (2+ / 0-)
        Esjaydee, marykk

many people get such a mild case of chickenpox they never knew they had it, and in other cases it can roar in with a fulminant case and kill, or cause permanent disability. And if  you are immune compromised, varicella can be deadly. Not to mention the likelihood of shingles as you get older.

Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.-- Wm.Pitt the Younger

by JeffSCinNY on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 03:14:43 PM PDT