View Diary: Pertussis and the 100 awful days. (75 comments)

•  I wonder how many children will have to die (7+ / 0-)

or be crippled by diseases that could have been prevented before they learn?  Will polio have to once again create widespread panic before vacines are taken seriously?  Or smallpox, or diphtheria?

Why in the world would you allow your child to suffer perhaps even die and/or infect others when it is totally unnecessary and preventable?

This subject is hard for me to fathom since I watched the love of my life die from an infection that was caused by a careless hospital aide or nurse or doctor who failed to take adequate sanitary measures.  It was a pointless death that did not have to occur.  And I have blamed myself for not standing in the doorway to his room and demanding hand washing from everyone before entrance (a tactic I now highly recommend to anyone with a loved one in the hospital).

Trust me, these parents who refuse vacines for their children do not want to have to deal with the addition of anger to the grief that a preventable death causes.

"I cannot live without books" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1815

by Susan Grigsby on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 12:47:19 PM PDT

•  I think you've hit the nail on the head... (6+ / 0-)

It may be BECAUSE they've not seen or heard of children dying from preventable diseases in their lifetime that they don't take it seriously.

When I learned that my mom's twin died from diphtheria I looked it up on google. I'd no idea of even WHAT diphtheria was- virus or bacteria, or the symptoms the disease had.

Basically, my mom's brother suffocated due to  a thick film in his respiratory tract that is a toxin from the bacteria that didn't allow him to breathe. I can't imagine the horror!
      He was 4 months old! He was in the hospital getting care, and still, he died.

I don't want any parent to have to suffer seeing their child die from a preventable disease.

YES WE DID! November 4th, 2008

by Esjaydee on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 12:58:49 PM PDT

•  My Aunt nearly died (3+ / 0-)
        Esjaydee, ms badger, marykk

of Diptheria.  as a last resort (there were no effective treatments for it in the '20's) a nurse suggested to my Grandmother that she swab my Aunt's throat with kerosene.  It worked and my Aunt lived to be 95!

Sunlight is the best disinfectant

by historys mysteries on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 02:02:04 PM PDT

•  Diptheria- (4+ / 0-)
        Esjaydee, marykk, Heiuan, ebohlman

Another of the Killers we no nothing about in the first world.
        Along with measles,  cholera, and tetanus.
        measles kills 140000 people, mostly children a year
        and this is down from previous tolls because of vaccinations
        Tetanus kills thousands where people either haven't or dont have access to vaccination.
        TB is still a a threat in the developing world
        And do you want to know the most common cancer in the world? It's not lung, it's not breast, its not prostate-- it's liver cancer caused by chronic hepatitis B, another preventable disease.

Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.-- Wm.Pitt the Younger

by JeffSCinNY on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 03:28:14 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry you had to go through (6+ / 0-)

losing your loved one from infection.

My sister developed life threatening MRSA after a knee surgery about 7 yrs ago. She pulled through- and now has a disabled knee.

She and her lawyer filed suit afterwards; not for money, but to effect changes in how the hospital could prevent these serious infections by using a rapid bacteria test prior to surgeries. Apparently there are many people who carry the bacteria in their bodies and have no idea. A simple test and dose of antibiotics before and after her surgery may have prevented her terrible ordeal.

YES WE DID! November 4th, 2008

by Esjaydee on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 01:16:31 PM PDT

•  My father had that test before his (1+ / 0-)
        Esjaydee

hernia surgery a few months ago. He did have to take an antibiotic and wash with a special disinfectant for about a week before. Thanks to those precautions, his recovery was uneventful.

His only brother died of diphtheria at the age of 5 or so back in the 20s or 30s.

I never knew my maternal grandparents: my grandfather died in 1945 of bacterial pneumonia, about a year before antibiotics drastically reduced the mortality rate. My grandmother died of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1950; although the survival rate for those who develop it in middle age isn't as good as for those who develop it in adolescence, it's still much more survivable now than it was then. I was born in 1959, and the only notable childhood illnesses I had were mumps and chickenpox (both fairly mild cases).

Neither of the conditions that killed my maternal grandparents (my paternal grandparents lived well into their 80s, but they died when I was fairly young because they had my father rather late in life) were vaccine-preventable, but it goes to show that the notion that people used to be a lot healthier is just a nostalgic illusion.

If you integrate fantasy with reality, you do not instantiate reality. If you mix cow pie with apple pie, it does not make the cow pie taste better; it makes the apple pie worse. --Mark Crislip

by ebohlman on Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 06:43:35 PM PDT