View Diary: Jeb Bush Excommunicated From Republican Party (352 comments)

•  Hmmmm (5+ / 0-)

A real small business owner?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra En théorie, il n'y a aucune différence entre théorie et pratique, mais en pratique, il y a toujours une différence. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 11:33:09 AM PDT

•  Absolutely! (20+ / 0-)

Residential remodeling company.  Was successful for 15 years, until, precisely October 2008 (The Crash).

Now I'm taking whatever work I can get.  Thankfully some good projects came our way for this summer.  But not for another month.  Until then, I've been doing remodels on trailers, --er--mobile homes in a Seniors' retirement park.  Oh how the mighty have fallen...(I've taken jibes from family members like:  "So...when you did the demolition for the project, didja use a can opener?")

1099 worker, indeed.

"I'm glad I don't know how it feels to vote to withhold basic human rights from someone else." DavidW-DKos

by sockpuppet on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 11:45:55 AM PDT

•  Should have been more specific (5+ / 0-)

My apologies. I think you know what I meant, though.

by blue aardvark on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 11:50:45 AM PDT

•  I do. (10+ / 0-)

In the time since I wrote that response and read your last reply, I took a phone call for work from someone who got our name off of Angie's List.  Ugh.  Always such nitpicky little stuff.   Never gotten a good lead from AL.

This one was for plastering their walls.   And she's taking a minimum of 6 bids for it, she says.  Yeah, lemme rush to compete for that job.

Fortunately for our company, our loyal 1% clients have been coming back this summer wanting significant remodels of the remodels we did for 'em up to a decade ago.   A rising tide lifts all boats, so all the trades we use will also get the work, as will the suppliers get the sales of materials.   Trickle-down economics at its best.  [sigh]

by sockpuppet on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 12:31:53 PM PDT

•  difference between 1099s (6+ / 0-)

1099-Div and 1099-Int are teh "Investor Class".

1099-Misc with Nonemployee Compensation are mostly exploited workers who don't even have any rights as employees (which is what a lot of them really are).

Diehard Swingnut, disgruntled Democrat, age 53, new CA-30

by Zack from the SFV on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 06:44:56 PM PDT

•  Retort to "didja use a can opener?" (2+ / 0-)
        zett, sockpuppet

No, I used a cork screw!  So I could afford a bottle of wine, and not whine to you for $$ so I could go to the grocery store.

^^^^^^^
        Glad you have work, even if it's in a trailer park.  Tell them the way the economy is going, they or their kids just might be living in those trailer parks soon enough.

•  LoL! (1+ / 0-)
          PinHole

Really.  That's a good one.  I will use that next time.   :D

by sockpuppet on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 11:57:03 PM PDT

•  It just doesn't trickle down (0+ / 0-)

it runs sideways too.

Just spoke to a friend yesterday who has an orchard: cherries, peaches, apples & some veggies.  Plus has an irrigation business to help him over the rough spots.  He was telling us the strange (climate change) weather that blasted his peaches & apples with a freeze when the fruit was being set, caught his brother too.

Brother is a big equipment repair guy.  Has a trailer all outfitted with a shop inside, so he can take it right into the field or orchard to repair tractors, equipment, etc.  With the harvest down 80% because all the blossoms got blasted, his brother's work is drying up, because the equipment isn't breaking down because it isn't being used.

Tim was saying his asparagus, eating corn and some grape vines should allow him to survive the season.  He said half an acre of one variety of apples looked like it would yield 2 doz apples.
            ______
            I think a lot of farmers around this rural area will not be able to pay their taxes this year.  School taxes are due in Sept.

•  Wow, sorry to hear that. (1+ / 0-)
              PinHole

I've long been worried about our small-business farmers, with the weather wiping out so many crops and fruit harvests, all across the country.  I buy from farmer's market as often as possible.  Best produce there!

I understand about the taxes.  I'm a bit concerned for us about that issue, too.   :(

by sockpuppet on Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 12:06:31 PM PDT

•  A real small business owner? (9+ / 0-)

That is one reason, another is that "contract" and "temporary" employment are increasingly common arrangements. Though not always strictly legal, they allow employers greater flexibility in staffing up/down.

Sort of "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free (or at least without paying health benefits and employment taxes..."

The important and difficult job is never to find the right answers, it is to find the right question. For there are few things as useless–if not dangerous–as the right answer to the wrong question. -- P. Drucker

by The Angry Architect on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 12:02:46 PM PDT

•  I resemble that remark! n/t (1+ / 0-)
        The Angry Architect

"Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous." -- Molly Ivins

by dumpster on Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 04:41:36 PM PDT

•  Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free (3+ / 0-)

(or at least without paying health benefits and employment taxes..."

Why do we allow Wal-Mart to do the kind of business in this country that keeps people at their mercy yet doesn't provide? Walmart should be forced to reimburse to medicaid all the expenses its employees run up without a company sponsored affordable or even attainable health care plan?
        Walmart owes America a living wage and 32 hours ain't full time with benefits- especially when they are not the same 32 hours every week so they can't be planned around for a second job or even a life.