View Diary: The Hearth - Saturday Gathering (112 comments)

•  Gentle breezes I would love! (8+ / 0-)

A good day says we have winds of 6-7mph average wind 11-14 mph.  The trade off to the wind is living just north of SF with some of the best weather, hiking, food...we have it. I'm less than 2 blocks from the wetlands and north end of SF Bay.

Light breezes...is that the summer weather on Long Island? I've never made it to the northeast. A few trips to the south...and everything else is Rockies and west.

Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1841

by SallyCat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 05:42:52 PM PDT

•  yes... (8+ / 0-)

I'm not on the water - but the island is really only 20 miles wide at the widest portion.  By way the crow flies, I'm probably about a mile to water.  There are lots of little inlets along the south shore.

Summer weather means hot and muggy!!!  But night there are fire flies... and you can usually catch some sort of breeze.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 05:48:40 PM PDT

•  So you are fairly close to Muir Woods (8+ / 0-)

I love that spot.  It's not just the redwoods, but all of the ferns covering the ground that add to the scenery there.

"Safety and security are the result of collective consensus. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear." - Nelson Mandela. Donate to TREE Climbers

by TX Freethinker on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 05:53:41 PM PDT

•  We are about 15 miles from Muir Woods (6+ / 0-)

The road is so narrow that this time of year they run shuttle buses. Locals wait until September - or April / May

The locals hang out here -
        Samuel P. Taylor State Park

This is one of the easier hiking roads...some of the trails are steep.

This is a stream that runs year round and in the spring has a small salmon run - pretty close to the coast.

Are you coming west for NN13?  We are planning a pre-NN group of local guided trips.  One would be to Big Basin Redwoods State Park about 30 minutes from the convention.

by SallyCat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 06:16:45 PM PDT

•  That's beautiful! I wish I could come. (6+ / 0-)

But I doubt I will be able to attend any Netroot conventions until I retire in 5 or 6 years.  Because of my work situation, I can't be actively involved in political activities under my real name.  That's why I always have to stay anonymous here.

by TX Freethinker on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 06:24:00 PM PDT

•  I understand totally (6+ / 0-)

Around here I try to keep politics quiet, but we are a 70% blue county. A few tea partiers, but even our Republicans are pretty liberal...oh and a few Ron Paul supporters...go figure!

by SallyCat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 06:27:17 PM PDT

•  sigh... (6+ / 0-)

I'm like in a red dot surrounded by blue.  :(

where I live is still staunchly republican.  ugh.

by kishik on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 06:32:40 PM PDT

•  When you said Big Basin my ears perked up. (4+ / 0-)

I'm pretty sure when I was about 12, my father was the director of Camp Saratoga, which I think was on Big Basin Rd. It was just up from the town (village) of Saratoga. We spent the whole summer there. I can still smell the trees. I just mapped it, and it looks like I'm about right.

Your left is my right---Mort Sahl

by HappyinNM on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 07:44:54 PM PDT

•  I'll be happy to host a House of LIGHTS group (3+ / 0-)
                HappyinNM, kishik, Joy of Fishes

if folks want to come in early for NN13.  We will be going for the convention and probably staying in Palo Alto at a friend's house (with a big, big basement for groups).

I'll post more in the message board as we get closer to NN13 in San Jose next year.

by SallyCat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 08:21:55 PM PDT

•  I'd love to go next year. (3+ / 0-)
                  SallyCat, kishik, Joy of Fishes

Finances are always the issue, but the distance makes it a possibility. Do you know your friends well enough to ask them to house a bunch of left wingers? It would be ol' home week for me, as I'm a graduate of Palo Alto High School.

Your left is my right---Mort Sahl

by HappyinNM on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 09:06:14 PM PDT

•  These are the friends I would call if I had a (3+ / 0-)
                    HappyinNM, kishik, Joy of Fishes

Meltdown.  Known the husband for over 25 years.  His new wife is absolutely wonderful and has been totally supportive the past 6 months with my family issues.

They would love taking in a bunch of us.  It's their natural style!

by SallyCat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 09:36:40 PM PDT