View Diary: Tulsa Lighting Company Sued For Requiring Employees To Be Christian (247 comments)

•  I'm sorry, but you (11+ / 0-)

are simply not right.

The comment may be incorrect, but it also has a very thorough rebuttal in the next reply.

We do not Hide comments simply for an incorrect view. There is nothing about that comment that demands that we should remove it from the discussion, hide it from general view.

We should, and G2Geek did, simply correct it.

Please remove the Hide Rate. The comment thread is civil and there is no need to be chucking donuts around here.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 09:56:50 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree. (0+ / 0-)

It's almost like you think HR's are just for "mean" or "bad". I'm not mad or feeling angry, but it's not true. It's not "Obama is a Communist" not true, it's literally false. We should HR when someone says "well I'm of a different opinion because the sky is purple and grass is black", or "I'm not sure Mitt Romney believes in the afterlife because he's a Hindu."

•  This is not a matter of opinion (10+ / 0-)
        But you are wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

We can debate the colour of the sky, or we can ignore those who fly in the face of evidence, but we DO NOT Hide Rate them for it.

You need a refresher on the FAQ because carry on like this and Admin will get fed up of it and you will lose the power to rate any comments.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 10:28:01 AM PDT

•  It's not a matter of opinion, exactly. FAQ: (0+ / 0-)

When you Troll Rate something, as a trusted user, you are stating that the comment should be made invisible to all site users. You're saying that the comment is so bad -- so disruptive or damaging to the community -- that it isn't worth even a debate, but should be deleted from the discussion as being simply inflammatory, simply off-topic, or simply a lie.

•  Yes, that is the passage (2+ / 0-)
            exatc, skrekk

The comment you HR'd doesn't rise even close to the threshold required for an HR.

A mistake, an erroneous impression, an incorrect opinion does not constitute a lie. We debate those views, and people learn something.

You might take a look at this sub-thread to see where the balance of opinion is moving, and be helped by that.

No one is berating you, simply asking you to correct a mistake.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 11:00:13 AM PDT

•  I still disagree (2+ / 0-)
              twigg, eXtina

and also think that there is some sort of emotional or moral litmus test here that bothers my sensibilities, but I'll act agreeably and remove it.

•  Well I don't recall where you and I (3+ / 0-)
                GoGoGoEverton, exatc, madhaus

ever had a disagreement, and the only test I ever apply is one of "reasonableness". I do accept that what is reasonable to one person is subjective, which is why "agreeing to disagree" can be very helpful.

You are to be commended for removing the donut, despite your own judgement. I wish more folk would be so reasonable.

Tipped accordingly.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 11:22:01 AM PDT

•  I'm very strongly going with twigg here and (9+ / 0-)

repeat her request that you remove your HR.  Every inaccurate statement does not require a donut - or deserve one.

There's no indication that the incorrect statement was generated by any kind of bad intent.  It's not anything like saying Obama is a communist.  That's a false statement made with the specific intent of injuring Obama.  There's nothing remotely like that in this case - it's simply a case of someone not having accurate information and stating his or her incorrect beliefs of the facts.  Definitely not something that needs a donut.  Please correct your own error and remove your HR.

by gustynpip on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 10:31:50 AM PDT

•  Her? (2+ / 0-)
          repeat her request
          :: Checks "down below" ::

Nope, definitely "him" :)

phew ... you had me worried that I had just spent 50 years going into the wrong restroom :)

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 10:47:05 AM PDT

•  Sorry. I get tired of writing "her or him" and (2+ / 0-)
            exatc, eXtina

when I do, I generally opt for the her, since most everyone else opts for the him.  Maybe one of these days, English will actually develop  a nice nonsexist term for when you don't know which it is.

by gustynpip on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 01:15:04 PM PDT

•  Actually it HAS ... back in 1970-something (1+ / 0-)
              eXtina

there were three contenders:

Defense Contract Administration Services Management Area.Defense Contracting and Services Admin, having discovered the Global Replace function of Wordstar(tm) decreed that IT'S documents ... including military supply contracts, regulations, and  technical manuals ... would henceforth use "his/her" where the gender of the person referred to was unknown.

Meanwhile the Federation of Egalitarian Communities (ok, that's Twin Oaks( VA) and East Wind  (MO) Communes ... proposed "Co" for the same purpose ... stipulating that when the gender of the subject  WAS known the gender specific pronoun would apply.

And someone ... about the same time ... proposed "Si" (pronounced "Say")

Point being ... not so many people believ(ed)  that gender equality is an issue so important that anyone needs to change their thought habits that Politically Correct Speech need(ed) be employed to advance it.

At least no one still says "Lady Doctor" or "Lady Lawyer" .   That's progress ...

•  hard to tell (1+ / 0-)
            eXtina

from this angle.  :)

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 01:21:57 PM PDT

•  ::shrugs:: Bad intent is not mentioned in the FAQ. (0+ / 0-)

I actually think it's wrong to HR based on guessing whether someone has a bad intent or not.

•  "lie" implies bad intent. n/t (3+ / 0-)
            gustynpip, exatc, madhaus

all morals are relative, but some are more relative than others.

by happymisanthropy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 12:53:36 PM PDT

•  Nothing like digging in your heels when you've (2+ / 0-)
            exatc, madhaus

screwed up.  The entire system of HR's is based upon intent.  It is to discourage people from acting improperly.  Making a mistake as to facts is not HR worthy.

Sometimes your ego is a bit large for your capabilities.

by gustynpip on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 01:17:02 PM PDT

•  Speaking of against the FAQ (0+ / 0-)

I don't believe it says "dickish" is acceptable when you disagree with someone.

•  Actually, reading this whole thread on the HR (1+ / 0-)
                exatc

makes me think your behavior, GGGE, is dickish.  You were asked to remove the HR.  You were told why.  I do appreciate that you removed it, but you sure argued for a long time before you did.  And this is not the first time I've seen you in arguments like this where you dig in your heels.

Next time you find yourself in a disagreement on this board, ask yourself... why is this happening again?  What do all these arguments have in common?  And is it REALLY necessary to keep arguing?

In capitalist America, bank robs you!

by madhaus on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 05:03:02 PM PDT