View Diary: Yes. Out of Touch (110 comments)

•  I think it's... (10+ / 0-)

..save to say if you are into Dressage, & if you get a 77 grand tax break on your Dressage horse, & if you have a elevator exclusively for cars, & if you sincerely believe corporations are people...you are out of touch.

It's not a matter of how out of touch Romney is.

It's a matter of him becoming so vehemently out of touch, he will lose his ability to denote reality at all.

Romney literally lives in a dream world.

That's just one out of a thousand reasons he would make a very dangerous president.

Your Romneybot is a high maintenance android, Tea Party. He can't properly function unless you are constantly downloading your bullshit into his neck port.

by wyvern on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:03:33 PM PDT

•  But there IS a difference between people who have (6+ / 0-)

that, who were born with it, and people who worked up to that.

Granted, very few people get there without inheriting it. But those who do don't tend to wonder what a donut is, or marvel about how great it is to fire people, or talk at length about their beautiful horses while also insisting that they need a tax break, and those who make less than their horse just need to quit being lazy.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:08:20 PM PDT

•  I think we are.. (7+ / 0-)

..arguing 2 different things here.

I'm not addressing what one was born with & with one worked for.

I'm addressing whether Romney is anchored in reality.

I could provide you 20 quick examples of how & why Romney is not anchored in reality.

The guy lives in a literal dream world.

And if our Little Dreamer is elected president, & is forced to start dealing with various crisis, it will be a catastrophe of monumental proportions.

But back to your theme:  Romney has never worked for shit.  He has been a spolied brat since the moment he exited his mother's womb.

by wyvern on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:23:31 PM PDT

•  exactly (0+ / 0-)

Since he isn't really anchored in our reality, the problems he sees and worries about and will take steps to solve aren't really the problems that the rest of us care about.  So he will end up proposing extreme solutions to take care of what he perceives as the problems, leaving the rest of us to pick up the mess.

It's like Bain Capital.  They took over companies that were happy and doing fine.  The "problem" that Bain proceeded to solve was that the shareholders weren't getting "enough" money out of the deal.  So they loaded the companies with debt, closed factories and shipped jobs overseas, then sailed into the sunsets.

The "problem" that Mitt & company see in America today is that he and his friends actually have to pay for services that they don't think they use, silly things like basic education and health care and retirement.  So they'll load up the country with debt, cut those "nonessentials" and sail off into the sunsets.

•  I was born into a family whose wealth... (15+ / 0-)

was largely inherited.  We weren't Romney or Kennedy rich, but I never lacked for anything, and never had to ask what anything cost.  That much, Mr. Romney and I have in common.

I didn't have to work.  I chose to work.  Mr. Romney could have chosen to work as well.  He preferred exploitation to labor.

I also was taught that with privilege came responsibility, and I worked at looking beyond my family's peers, and how I could contribute to individuals and to society as a whole.  Mr. Romney has shown no evidence of having any interest in making a contribution to anyone but himself, his own family, and his wealthy cohorts.

I took seriously the mandate of my Faith to serve those in need.  It led me to lifetime vows, including poverty by choice.  The sole purpose of Mr. Romney's "mission" was to gain converts to his religion, and to enforce its rigors.

I relate the foregoing not for self aggrandizement, nor to judge Mr. Romney's soul.  God knows I have lived a far from perfect life, and determining the condition of anyone else's soul is way above my pay grade (although I will admit to indulging in an opinion about a soul or two from time to time).

No, I state it only because I think it speaks to Mr. Romney's qualifications to be the President of the United States, serving all its citizens, rich, poor, and everything in-between.

And, yes, to make a point that I think one is not forever doomed by the circumstances of one's birth.  If anything, being born rich provides one with more choices, not less.  And it seems to me, Mr. Romney has almost always made the ones that benefit the few over the many.

•  And I don't think you're out of touch (7+ / 0-)

That's why I said in the diary that it's not his wealth or that he was born into it, it's that he assumes that is what is normal.

You were born into privilege and now, with the benefit of hindsight, you know that was privilege. Romney doesn't get that. He doesn't understand that his life is one of privilege.

You do. That's why I think he's out of touch and you're not. It's not about degrees of wealth, it's about degrees of understanding and knowing what the rest of us live day to day.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:33:32 PM PDT

•  I'll accept that. But perhaps you can accept... (1+ / 0-)
            CrissieP

that this bit of your text can be read that way:

I wasn't born into this, and I still feel the sting of poverty when we're talking economics. I can eat whatever the hell I want whenever the fuck I want. That is awesome. However, it's not some academic exercise for me to understand what it's like to NOT do that.

And you ask me if it's fair to say Romney is out of touch because he's been wealthy his entire life? Yeah, I think it is.

I believe you when you say you do not intend it as such, but it does very much sound like an indictment of those who have been born into wealth, and thus never felt that sting of poverty.

Which is precisely how I read it, until you just now informed me otherwise.

•  There's being 1% in wealth (5+ / 0-)

and being 1% in attitude.

Being 1% in attitude means thinking that you're entitled to everything you've gotten, ignoring the fact that other people had to bust their asses to put you where you are.

You can be 1% in wealth without being 1% in attitude. Look at folks like Keith Olbermann, who spent his money taking care of his dying father or writing checks for the free health clinics. Or people like Warren Buffett who openly says that he and those in his bracket should be taxed more. Or look back at folks like Andrew Carnegie, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard who started foundations with their wealth.

And you can be 1% in attitude and be nowhere near the 1% in wealth -- just take a look at your average Tea Party member or FAUX News devotee.

Mitt Romney: the Etch-A-Sketch candidate in the era of YouTube

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 11:14:25 PM PDT

•  If asked, Mitt Romney could not give a good (2+ / 0-)
          gustynpip, jgilhousen

Reason why he wants to be president.

He just wants it. It's cool. His friends will be impressed.

If I felt for a minute that Romney really wanted to make the world a better place -- and bless his shrunken little heart, I do believe Rick Santorum really did -- I would not despise Romney so much. But unlike Santorum, Paul or Bachmann, Romney doesn't care about being president.

He just wants it because it's something that other men want. Around 2000 people have summitted Mt Everest. But only 44 have been president of the United States. And you never have to carry your gear if you're president!

I'm convinced he just wants it because he thinks he deserves it.

And that is about as immature, selfish and/or checked out of reality as an adult can be.

© grover

by grover on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 01:32:01 AM PDT

•  I do think he believes he can accomplish... (0+ / 0-)

some things as President he can't as a private citizen.  Unfortunately, they are all things which would be bad for this country, and create even more suffering for the majority of her citizens.

•  You know what really pissed me off about (10+ / 0-)

that CBS interview and further proof how really out of touch Willard is, it was his refernece to joking about sending Ann to the Betty Ford Clinic to overcome her addiction to horses. It is not as if Drug and Alcohol abuse are not addictions that cause some families much pain. A candidate who wants to be President should not make light of something like this. I wonder how well recieved it was by the Ford Children, who watched their Mom suffer. Not only is Willard not ready for prime time, he is not even ready for the amatuer hour. That was a disgusting remark, from the man who wants to be king.

•  if you don't worry about your own well being (4+ / 0-)

because it's been taken care of...and all you focus on is your own navel, then nobody else can truly be said to be out of touch.  That's the gist of the other diary.

In the 70's there was a book that came out entitled "I'm Okay--You're OKay".  The new edition has been abbreviated to "I'm okay..."

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:22:04 PM PDT

•  I remember ... (4+ / 0-)

..that book.

It encouraged everybody to release a positive vibe, & to embrace tolerance.

2 things the 21st century Republican party deems the core ingredients of spiritual, moral & ethical weakness.

by wyvern on Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:28:36 PM PDT

•  I don't think many "regular" people ever heard of (5+ / 0-)

'Dressage", let alone know it is an Olympic event. And the Bush folks mocked Kerry for "wind surfing".

• Recommended (146)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (29)
  • Elections (27)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site