View Diary: Vagina Dialogues at the Michigan Capitol (67 comments)

•  Love the pictures (22+ / 0-)

Only one quibble--vagina is not a vulgar word (in any meaning of the word vulgar, the original "common" or more recent "1.Lacking sophistication or good taste; unrefined: "the vulgar trappings of wealth".
    2.Making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions; coarse and rude: "a vulgar joke"."crude)", any more than "penis" or "testicles" are.

It's simply a medical or biological descriptor for a characteristic more than half the US population has.

It's the idiots in MI Congress and I suspect elewhere who think its a dirty word and offensive.  Like they would be here if there weren't any.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 04:28:55 AM PDT

•  I did mean the use in terms of 'common' (10+ / 0-)

i.e. a word that everyone knows, and also, if you have ever seen a five year old (which candidly some of our Repub representatives remind me of) they will repeat the word endlessly where it doesn't really belong. I thought it empowered the contrast better to describe how refreshing it felt to hear it shouted at the Capitol 500 times. You are right, it is not a dirty word and that I never meant to imply. . .as I said in the beginning, I like them myself!

An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head. -- Eric Hoffer

by MichiganChet on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 04:59:35 AM PDT

•  I really was about to post a similiar comment (17+ / 0-)

The puritans they think they are.  I feel they need to be all dressed in powdered wigs.  Maybe we should all put a V sewn onto our clothing...We  are scarlet lettered for using a word that describes who we are.  Defines our gender?  A vagina is part of who we are.  Like our arm or leg or head.  Can we not say cranium? or is thigh a bad word since it is below the waist>  Where is the magic line for anatomy description on our bodies?   One who survived cervical cancer and knows all too well how much a vagina is part of the anatomy is very angry that the puritans find the human female anatomy offensive.
      I HAVE ONE and thank God I do.  Cancer could have taken all of it.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 05:15:47 AM PDT

•  Wow, good luck for the future&thanks (7+ / 0-)

for your support, your service (being a vetwife is tough, I should know) and for the sharing. It is all of a piece with the general uptightness and refusal to recognize the basics of being human that is unfortunately part of the modern American society. And one that needs to be intellectually fought and contested. But that is the subject of another diary.

by MichiganChet on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 05:30:49 AM PDT

•  Thank you... (8+ / 0-)

I was operated on in 1981 for cervical cancer that spread to my female organs.  A complete hysterectomy and no chemo thank goodness, saved me from an 18 month death sentece.  They had to cut some of the vagina and regardless how much the puritans feel this is too much information.  It is real.  It is me.  I am missing a little there in my anatomy and it to me is similar to being banned from using breast and mastectomy on the floor.
          It is part of healthcare and surgical removal of some vaginas is real to many who have suffered through different forms of cancer and lived to tell the tale,  For many women intercourse is painful due to the surgery and a doctor once told me they  build sponges or walls of mesh to coorect the problem but they can't replace the vagina once taken.

by Vetwife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 05:42:48 AM PDT

•  Agreed - I was going to write something similar. (5+ / 0-)
      2thanks, JayRaye, Mayfly, Amber6541, LSophia

It's a common term to describe a portion of the female anatomy.

If you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

by Unit Zero on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 06:21:41 AM PDT