View Diary: About that homophobic 'sagging pants' picture going viral on Facebook... (297 comments)

•  We all have things like that (8+ / 0-)

for years and years I ironed totally backwards, and when I stirred a pot on the stove I turned the handle to the right, held it with my LEFT hand, and stirred with my right.

Very awkward, to say the least.

I was an adult before I realized I did things that way because my MOM was left handed, but I was RIGHT handed. She, of course, held the pot handle with her RIGHT hand and stirred with her left. I, child that I was, thought the handle had to be on the right, regardless of what hand I used.

It's why I never learned to knit (try learning backwards), why I had horrible penmanship, and why I wear my watch on my RIGHT wrist.

And then I had a daughter who's left handed, and went through the same things from the other perspective.

•  LOL!! Great story. I'm a left hander. Mom was (1+ / 0-)
      middleagedhousewife

right. Mom didn't knit but mimi did - forget it. No knitting for me. But I do one thing right handed - scissors! Could never master left handed scissors. Oh, and fishing - I use a right handed reel. Bowling - equally bad with either hand.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 08:20:57 PM PDT

•  I do scissors right handed, too, but I think (1+ / 0-)
        mrsgoo

that's because the lefty scissors were always ridiculously dull and just bent paper rather than cutting it.  I don't know whether I knit right or left handed, though.  I'll have to watch a right handed knitter some time.

"On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

by middleagedhousewife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 08:26:43 PM PDT

•  btw - I have always loved your sig! (1+ / 0-)
          middleagedhousewife

by mrsgoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 09:04:51 PM PDT

•  Oh thank you! It's Cormack McCarthy. (1+ / 0-)
            mrsgoo

by middleagedhousewife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 09:09:09 PM PDT

•  And I am so afraid that this part is so true... (1+ / 0-)
              middleagedhousewife
              "of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."
              A fish is truly a beautiful creation. If we keep going the way we are I am afraid we will discover how dependent we are on the various fishes. And it will not be pretty.

by mrsgoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 09:14:02 PM PDT

•  Me too. I started using it when the gulf got BP'd (1+ / 0-)
                mrsgoo

It summed up my feelings and fears perfectly.

by middleagedhousewife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 09:24:05 PM PDT

•  LOL! Mine is from the red flag document put (1+ / 0-)
                  middleagedhousewife

out by fisheries and wildlife about the BDCP here in CA. Water Contractors think diverting 15K CFS around an esturary will help the fish!

Anyway, we had a potential customer show up today, spouting Faux talking points about CA water to my husband. Who sent him away with things to "think about". So DH is telling me the story and I almost LOL as I realized he was wearing his Daily KOS Gulf Watchers tee shirt. I figured that the potential customer isn't a internet savvy guy. heehee!!

by mrsgoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 10:02:18 PM PDT

•  Haha! I was trying to figure out what is so (0+ / 0-)

awkward about stirring the pot with the left and holding it with the right hand as that's what I do -- then I got to the part where you're right handed (yes, I'm left handed).

by middleagedhousewife on Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 08:23:52 PM PDT