View Diary: What I know about our corporate overlords (UPDATE) (135 comments)

•  I've gotten it personally (4+ / 0-)
    sockpuppet, Fairlithe, ozsea1, NoMoreLies

When people find out that I'm out of work and that it has been a while since I've been employed.

I also get told that I'm lazy, unqualified, and was among the first to be let go by my employer.

The final straw is being told I don't deserve my unemployment.

And it's almost all wrong. I left my employer to relocate to be with my family who had moved over a thousand miles away. I wasn't downsized, I wasn't outsourced, I wasn't fired. I quit. Hell, on my last day, I was asked if I could reconsider.

I was naive to not line up a job before I left, but that was my only sin.

I have collected not one penny from unemployment. I was told I was never eligible, and it is hard to fight from so far away.

So the people who have told me that I'm lazy, unqualified, and don't deserve my unemployment, well they hear some not so nice words.

•  Well, you can't collect UIB if you quit the job. (2+ / 0-)
      Steven D, ozsea1

Sometimes you can prevail in a denial challenge if you can show it was a constructive discharge.  That's where you were basically given no option but to resign.  If their reasons for forcing you out are deemed invalid, you win the UI benefits.

But those who've told you you're not eligible for UIB are correct.  You can't collect if you quit voluntarily, and moving a distance away is not a valid UIB cause of action.

However, it's still unconscionable that people say to the unemployed in this economy that they're "lazy" or free-loaders or something.   Especially if you aren't even collecting any benefits!   Don't let the turkeys getcha down.

Good luck with the job search.

"I'm glad I don't know how it feels to vote to withhold basic human rights from someone else." DavidW-DKos

by sockpuppet on Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 04:39:41 PM PDT

•  I think I should clarify (1+ / 0-)
        ozsea1

The comments came from people without knowing my situation.

It was along the lines of "You're unemployed? I bet you're sitting at home watching tv collecting money from the government!"

An aside - It honestly reminds me of the same people who look down on union people. How dare they make more money than me (even when they don't), how dare they get better benefits than me (even when that isn't true either)?!!!?!  Instead of looking to unionize themselves, they look down on those who have done it.

Back to topic - I looked into UI after I moved, and it varies by state. Some states MAY consider relocation. I never found out if mine was one of them, there wasn't much on the state website that seemed to apply to my circumstances.

I literally ended up quitting, packing up the car, and leaving the state.

And thanks. If something doesn't appear soon, I'm looking into doing some volunteer work.  Luckily I can afford it.

•  depends on the circumstances of "quit" (0+ / 0-)

and you fucking well know this, troll.

Both parties are beholden to their corporate sponsors. The Democratic Party deigns to throw us a few bones from the table on which to gnaw and squabble over, but it's just kabuki.

by ozsea1 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 07:20:47 PM PDT

•  ARE YOU CALLING ME A TROLL??!! (0+ / 0-)

WTF?!   And no, I've never seen anyone get UIB if they quit and moved.  So, no, I don't "fucking well know that".

Who the hell are you,* UID 180257*?!   Seems like you are more likely a troll here than me.  I've got years of street-cred here at DKos.  I've only noticed you around lately.

Sincerely,

Sockpuppet
          UID 31022

by sockpuppet on Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 07:29:06 PM PDT

•  If you weren't addressing that to me (0+ / 0-)

mia apologia.

It's just that I've almost never been called a "troll" here.

by sockpuppet on Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 07:30:47 PM PDT

•  I wasn't (2+ / 0-)
              NoMoreLies, sockpuppet

and I mis-aimed. Long day, new temp job from hell.

Here was the comment that set me off.

I'm just curious (1+ / 3-)
              How did this not contribute to the economy?  The clients bought cars.  Someone had to make those cars so that provided jobs.  Someone had to make parts for those cars and equipment to build the cars.  Factories to build the cars had to be built.  The ways in which this contributed to the economy is endless.

I see people on here all the time saying stuff like "unemployment puts money back into the economy".  And perhaps it does.  The difference is that when the rich fat cat clients buy Mercedes, they do so willingly with their own money.  When the government gives unemployment money to lazy people for them to spend, that money is stolen from some unwilling company at gunpoint.  I know as a small business owner I don't pay into the unemployment system because I choose to, I do it because the government sticks a gun to my head and forces me to.

I prefer the folks buying the cars any day.

by angelalee on Wed Jun 20, 2012 at 09:20:27 PM PDT

[ Parent | Reply to This |  Recommend   Hide ]

That's no excuse. I fucked up. Sorry.

However -

Pulling UID ranK? Not cool.

by ozsea1 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 08:24:23 PM PDT

•  Well, it was very weird. Took me aback. (0+ / 0-)

But I had a long, difficult day, too, so I shot first and asked questions later.

Yeah, I pulled UID rank.   I think that's about as pithy and solid proof against a trolling accusation as there is, especially when it came so out of left field, so to speak.

But I realized as soon as I hissed that back at you that you might not have really meant to direct that at me.   That's why I quickly apologized, too.

I do understand the long day, difficult time.   Same here.  And the current political milieu is keeping us all on edge, I think.   This is a tough year to get through.

Salute.  :)