Skip to main content

View Diary: Chevy Volt @1 Year: How's it doing? (182 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  The Leaf is perfect for 95% of most people's (9+ / 0-)

    driving.  If you have another car (something most two-adult households have), then use that one for your long drives.  Or rent on the weekends you go that far.

    But why would you need to go 250 miles on a regular work day?  So you're making a decision what to buy based on 5 percent of your driving?

    The way I see it, you can spend the money supporting the auto manufacturer, or spend it supporting oil regimes.  Because it ends up being the exact same amount of money when you see how much you save not buying any gas at all.

    In capitalist America, bank robs you!

    by madhaus on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 10:41:20 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Leaf owners may use more gas overall (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      ichibon, dkmich

      If you buy a Volt, 95% of your drives use no gas, the other 5%, the car switches to gas part way through the trip.  If you buy a Leaf, 95% of your drives use no gas, the other 5% you switch to a different car (your own or a rental) and use gas.

      In fact, of those longer drives, in a Volt the first part of the trip was electric.  When you switch to a different gas powered car because the trip is too long for the Leaf, the entire trip is gas powered.  So, owning a Leaf could end up using more gas overall.

      "It is easy to sit up and take notice, What is difficult is getting up and taking action." Honore de Balzac

      by Vega on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 01:42:57 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

    •  Why would I buy a leaf when I can buy a volt? (0+ / 0-)

      By the time someone buys two cars and two insurances, no difference in the price.

      "bin Laden's dead, and GM is alive" ~ Biden

      by dkmich on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 02:30:41 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  Because the Volt doesn't have room for 4 adults (0+ / 0-)

        let alone 5.  I really wanted to like the Volt.  Really.  But American car manufacturers still seem to hire special designers to make every instrument and interface annoying as hell.

        In capitalist America, bank robs you!

        by madhaus on Sun Jun 24, 2012 at 12:04:16 AM PDT

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (129)
  • Community (64)
  • Elections (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Environment (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site