View Diary: Nurse Kelley Sez: Crowdfunding can help with outrageous medical costs (53 comments)

•  Penny jars, bake sales, car washes...... (26+ / 0-)

How I hope I live long enough to see peoples health care needs funded in other ways.....But until that joyful day we all need to help each other as best we can.

Love is the lasting legacy of our lives

by princesspat on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 11:13:38 AM PDT

•  And educate the know-nothings. (12+ / 0-)

Every wingnut who sees what we're doing has another chink in their unreality field.

(That sound you are hearing is a paradigm being shifted at Warp Factor Infinity using no clutch.)

by homogenius on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 11:40:00 AM PDT

•  Working with the crappy system we have (8+ / 0-)

is a pain, but until things are better, there are some ways to help eke out a little relief.

We discovered that we could negotiate discounts with providers when I needed back surgery and was in the hospital for 3 weeks in 2008.  And again when my husband mangled his hand in a table saw accident in 2010. And again last year when we faced huge dental expenses.

We explained the situation, proposed what we could pay per month, and asked for a discount.

We figured the worst they could say was no and a few did.  But most were wiling to pare off a percentage if they knew they would be paid. In this economy, more of their patients were defaulting, which gave us the leverage to negotiate.

And some were surprisingly generous with 10 to 15 percent discounts and no interest on balance due.  Most gave 5, but heck, every little bit helps.

And BTW, negotiating works whether you're insured or not. We had medical coverage, but high deductables and co-pays had us overwhelmed.

One more thing: Some hospitals will do services at no charge depending on severity/urgency and the patient's financial situation. A panel makes the determination on a case by case basis. It's worth checking to see if your city has a hospital that allows you or your doctor to submit your request for care.

We discovered this last year when we had a conversation with a woman who was recovering from heart surgery. She shared that Providence absorbed the expense to save her life. Her doctor had put in an appeal for her and the panel accepted her case.

Folks here want to be generous but resources are limited. Exploring some of these ways to save could allow our help to go a bit further.

I was a peripheral visionary. I could see the future, but only way off to the side. ~ Steven Wright

by Bugsby on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 02:19:17 PM PDT

•  Good advice, Bugsby. (4+ / 0-)
        ladybug53, princesspat, Ebby, Bugsby

Most of my medical care is handled through Medicare, but medical charges related to my old WC injuries are covered by a small trust. I pay cash and get reimbursed. It never fails to shock me the difference between what Medicare allows for, say, an MRI, and what cash patients are charged for the same procedure. People least able to pay full price are the ones being charged full price!

One of my local hospitals will discount all bills, including outpatient things like radiology, by 50% if it's paid in 30 days. Other arrangements can be made.

Dental providers in my community, unfortunately, rarely offer more than 10-20% off for full and immediate payment.

"Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." ~ Desmond Tutu

by KelleyRN2 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 02:57:30 PM PDT

•  Our son's pulmonary enbolism (3+ / 0-)
          KelleyRN2, Ebby, Bugsby

was a life threatening emergency, requiring asap intervention to save his life. I'll always wonder if he would have survived had they stopped to discuss how it would all be paid for. He did have a cobra in place, thank goodness, but his copay's and amounts not covered were far to high for a newly unemployed person to pay, so with his Dr.'s help, the hospital charity care program helped him.

His Dr. simply said, "I wasn't going to let you die."

How can this country be willing to let so many suffer without access to health care? I'll never understand.....

ps   He has health ins. now thanks to the ACA. Yes. I'm worried.

Love is the lasting legacy of our lives

by princesspat on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 05:24:11 PM PDT

•  So glad that your son had the care he needed. (2+ / 0-)
            princesspat, KelleyRN2

It's a crying shame that our country is so afraid of "socialized" medicine. The Cold War has crippled us in so many ways and this obsession with Communism will no doubt persist until enough paranoid old farts die out and take these regressive ideas with them.

by Bugsby on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 08:22:48 PM PDT