View Diary: Did Michelle Obama Turn Back the Odometer When Selling an Expensive Car? (203 comments)

•  Why do you think she knew that? (0+ / 0-)

What she knew is that she couldn't ride the horse.

The buyer would have ridden the horse and seen the horse ridden. The buyer had the horse for a year and showed him.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 06:19:39 PM PDT

•  Let me have the benefit of your experience (0+ / 0-)

and I'll put aside the ethical question of what the Romneys should have done when they realized that vet and trainer were apparently hiding a hidden defect:

My understanding is that the treatment for the problem started before the sale.  How clueless would Ann Romney have to be in order to be unaware of it?

Also, when the horse was showed, were drugs administered to allow performance and did the new owner know about it?

Pro-Occupy Democratic Candidate for California State Senate, District 29 & Occupy OC Civic Liaison.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 09:38:22 AM PDT

•  If drugs had been administered (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

That would be an extremely serious violation that would involve suspension of horse, trainer, and owner, and a fine. It's a very big deal.

Those drugs would not be suitable for a high level performance.

(Of course, there's always a drug for something. The rules are very clear and meant to protect horses.)

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 11:26:25 AM PDT

•  By the way, I do appreciate your challenging me (1+ / 0-)
      elfling

on these points, in case my relies come off otherwise.  I just think that it looks really bad because at root it is awful, callous, and boorish behavior.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 09:43:12 AM PDT

•  Thanks for that (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

I see why you read it that way. But you're only reading a court statement with one side of the story.

My perspective is that horse sales with regrets happen all the time, and both buyer and seller can be at fault. And if no one ever sold horses because they might go lame some day... no one would ever sell (or be able to buy) horses. Go to any horse bulletin board and you can read story after story about a buyer taking a horse home, wrecking it, and asking to return it. (You can also read lots of stories from the buyer's side with horses that don't seem to work out.)

The Romneys don't seem to sell horses very often. I would add that your picture of their behavior is not consistent with the odd articles that have been in the equestrian press over the years, or with the bits of gossip that I've heard.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Sun Jun 24, 2012 at 10:32:54 AM PDT

•  Aside from the merits, though, the point of this (0+ / 0-)

diary regards how the media treats such events.  Maybe the Romney's are legally in the clear; maybe even morally or ethically.  Nonetheless, if the story had accused Michelle Obama  of turning back an odometer, it would be 24/7 news.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky