View Diary: Tesla Model S Has Arrived: You Have a Duty to Buy One (If you can afford) (335 comments)

•  Hells no I don't like. (2+ / 0-)
    gustynpip, Rick Aucoin

This is the same game the auto industry has been playing for a long time, deliberately making ugly-ass bug cars to keep the hippies away from their main revenue streams.  Tesla's kicking the shit out of that practice, as to a lesser extent is the Chevy Volt and perhaps the Fitzker (if they end up surviving the A123 recall).

"I'm going to rub your faces in things you try to avoid." - Muad'Dib

by Troubadour on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 07:57:44 PM PDT

•  Are you joking ? (1+ / 0-)
      adrianrf

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 08:03:18 PM PDT

•  good to hear we're fighting over aesthetics now. (10+ / 0-)

That's progress!  Because it means we all agree on the new definition of cutting-edge tech in which sustainability is a core design value, so we can argue over style!

Yes, Model S looks like a panther on wheels, sleek and cat-like, more so than most of the conventional cars that try to achieve that look.  And yes it should be the top choice of well-to-do progressives who would otherwise be thinking BMW, Audi, Lexus, and so on.

Though, there is room for difference over aesthetics.  Personally I prefer simpler Euclidean geometries, functional spherical and rectangular shapes, rather than curves that remind one of nothing so much as an artistic nude rendered in steel, or the (thankfully now declining) style of aggressive "insectoid" forms that invoke something alien and dangerous from a Hans Giger painting.

In my segment of the market ("tradesman's vehicles") the ideal case is a plain box on wheels, just sufficiently rounded at the edges to have decent aerodynamics at 60 MPH, and with plenty of room for tools & cargo.

When there's a plug-in hybrid or 200-mile electric version of that, in the $25K price range, I'm there.

Between now and then I'm happily driving one of these and getting 30 - 35 MPG on combined city/highway trips:

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Fri Jun 22, 2012 at 08:43:53 PM PDT

•  oh, maybe that's what it means... (0+ / 0-)
        curves that remind one of nothing so much as an artistic nude rendered in steel
        I really puzzle over descriptions of cars as, e.g., "pure sex." Maybe I just lack soul. ;) Seriously, I suddenly want to read a good book about the "sexiness" of cars. Anyone?
      •  My sense of aesthetics (2+ / 0-)
        zett, Troubadour

To me the best looking cars on the road are at least ten years old, preferably even older, and still in decent repair. A little rust is just fine, some faded paint maybe....

I think they blend in better with the environment, and they're not so egotistical-looking. They seem friendlier somehow, more human and less... I don't know, intimidating I guess.

But the new Tesla is bold alright, and electric car pioneers deserve support and applause. No doubt it'll look better in ten years, with some wear and tear on it.

"Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." - Oliver Hardy

by native on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 06:56:30 AM PDT

•  I'm the opposite way. (0+ / 0-)

A car should look like a god recently descended to Earth, so beautiful and sharp it looks like it's about to tear the fabric of space-time.

"I'm going to rub your faces in things you try to avoid." - Muad'Dib

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 12:26:07 PM PDT

•  Looks pretty good to me. (0+ / 0-)

Particularly in the form-follows-function mode that a completely electric car would need to be. It is a little generic, like many cars are now (hard to tell apart, even cars that used to have signature styles).

I get the grumpiness of people who have a problem with cars and with materialism. It is also typical that they'd come here and drop their negativity nuggets in a diary that is offensive to them because that is just how people often roll. :-\

Let's face it: we are a material culture. We are also a culture where many people don't have the option of walking, biking or riding public trans where they need to go. We are a car culture. For better, for worse, THAT IS HOW WE ARE. I think a good way to fight it is to make those vehicles as green as possible, and create good jobs for people in our country when we can. Union when we can. We have to acknowledge that cars are a big part of our economy.

•  As one of the grumpitariat I have to say (1+ / 0-)
          zett

that the main reason I'm grumpy in this diary is that the diarist wrote a diary saying we have a duty to buy this if we have the money.  I think it's good that this is being produced, and it's clear that not everyone is going to get rid of their car, whether it is possible for them to do so or not, but that doesn't mean we have to pretend cars are a good thin.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 09:24:16 AM PDT

•  I hear what you're saying. (0+ / 0-)

I look at it this way. Cars are here for good. Like for most people, having a fridge and air con and their own washer is here for good. I don't think anyone thinks that we should get rid of refrigeration because manufacturing fridges is dirty and coolant is poison. Instead, we have to figure out how to make them greener from start to finish.

I also understand the "buy this if you can" edict on both sides. If someone buys luxury cars, consider this instead. However, even if I could afford a new luxury car, I probably wouldn't buy one, but I might if it was a good product and it advanced something technological and philosophical that I believed in.

A lot of the "gripe" about electric cars is the perception of their drivability and response and "sexiness" factor. Break the perception down at the high end, where people are buying status.

•  Hyperbole just doesn't go over (0+ / 0-)

like it used to.