View Diary: "We're doomed." (192 comments)

•  There is still this illusion that humans are (2+ / 0-)
    CarbonFiberBoy, solozen

actually in control of the system.  We know this is not true nor has it been for a long time.  Our minds/brains are evolved parts of a greater system.  They serve it very well.  You are asking for those minds/brains to do otherwise and that seems a bit unrealistic.  As we move towards globalization more and more the system will become even more dominant.  What our minds/brains produce will help it grow to the end.  Enjoy the ride.  This is not pessimism it is realism based on the acknowledgement that humans are very very arrogant about their ability to do things.

An idea is not responsible for who happens to be carrying it at the moment. It stands or falls on its own merits.

by don mikulecky on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 07:35:46 AM PDT

•  It may as well be pessimism (1+ / 0-)
      don mikulecky

And going along for the ride isn't a very good option for those of us who are going to be seriously affected by this.  As in the millions if not billions who will likely die.  I'm going to guess that you're old enough that this is all academic to you.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 08:19:24 AM PDT

•  Academic? I fought my whole life to get (2+ / 0-)
        chipmo, CarbonFiberBoy

people to listen.  I have learned what I now know.  I wish it were different.  I have kids and grandkids and they are going to suffer.  They also live like nothing is wrong.  It may be "academic" to them.  Not to me.

by don mikulecky on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 08:30:55 AM PDT

•  Telling people to "enjoy the ride" (0+ / 0-)

comes off as terribly condescending and frankly offensive when the people you're telling may well die because of that ride.

by AoT on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 01:11:13 PM PDT

•  we are the cause of the problem (5+ / 0-)

I dont have to be in control of a system to fuck it up. I just have to be able to toss a monkey wrench into it.

Humans ARE the virus that is making this planet sick.

Bad is never good until worse happens

by dark daze on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 08:29:50 AM PDT

•  My mission here -- (2+ / 0-)
      don mikulecky, too many people

was to identify the problem.  I think I've at least helped.

"A people who know how to organize the accumulation of wealth and its reproduction in the interest of the whole of society, no longer need to be governed." -- Peter Kropotkin

by Cassiodorus on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 09:36:59 AM PDT

•  Yes. I look at it evolutionarily. (1+ / 0-)
      don mikulecky

A species tends to evolve in one direction, both physically and culturally. Negative inputs increase specialization, not decrease. As the niche gets smaller, the species becomes even more efficient in exploiting it. We can see this happening all around us. Then the niche disappears and the species or cultural adaptation with it.

People wish to be settled, only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them. - Emerson

by CarbonFiberBoy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 10:18:22 AM PDT