View Diary: Why Texas matters (159 comments)

•  It's important to remember the role of (5+ / 0-)

Gerrymandering in this state.  Texas has a Looooong history of gerrymandering on both sides of the aisle.

The majority of our population growth was in minority groups (Hispanic mostly), and changes we saw with the legislature's redistricting plan erased a number of historically Hispanic strongholds. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/... the Texas 27th congressional district for an example).

And finally, I have seen people remember Ann Richards, Molly Ivins, and others, please remember Joseph L. Galloway, who is one of our living democratic advocates, with particular interest in military affairs.

•  Thanks for bringing up Galloway. (3+ / 0-)
      Texdude50, fuzzyguy, glorificus

The other person we all need to remember is Barbara Jordan. I met her once. Unforgettable.

Santorum: Man on Dog; Romney: Dog on Car. Mrs. Romney: Fraud on Horse. equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 08:59:03 AM PDT

•  Barbara Jordan (5+ / 0-)

She brings tears to my eyes. I still remember the obituary that the Chronicle ran upon her passing. I envy those that were taught by her at UT.

The Spice must Flow!

by Texdude50 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 09:14:42 AM PDT

•  I do a very, very good and accurate (1+ / 0-)
          Texdude50

voice impression of her. And LBJ and several other Texas luminaries. Which is interesting, because I have a New England accent naturally. I guess it's all those years in Texas. I do, however, say "y'all" and even understand the distinction between "y'all" and "all y'all" which Southerners tell  me is distinctively Texan.

by commonmass on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 10:07:30 AM PDT

•  I knew her. She was a great woman. I feel (1+ / 0-)
          Texdude50

priveleged to have known that woman.

She had one of the quickest, sharpest minds I've ever known.  She was also very unassuming and kind and had great courage.  She was also one of the most patriotic and honest people I've ever known. If she was still alive, she would be horrified by what goes on in congress - the lack of ethics and the lack of action during such a time.

The real power in America is held by a fast-emerging new Oligarchy of pimps and preachers who see no need for Democracy or fairness or even trees, except maybe the ones in their own yards, and they don't mind admitting it. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

by Saint Jimmy on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 01:47:38 PM PDT

•  rumor had it (2+ / 0-)
            entrelac, glorificus

that if Ms. Jordan had not been ill, President Clinton would have placed her on the Court Can you imagine her having butted heads with Scalia?

The Spice must Flow!

by Texdude50 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 01:59:21 PM PDT

•  That would hae been a site to see.... Scalia is (3+ / 0-)
              entrelac, Texdude50, glorificus

lucky.  I knew her during the early '80s, while in graduate school.  I think she had some difficult days physically, even at that point.  However, her mind was always as sharp as a razor.

by Saint Jimmy on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 02:15:55 PM PDT