View Diary: Catholic bishops very sad SCOTUS upholds health care for ladies (101 comments)

•  RICO was passed for a reason, to go after (5+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, eps62, DaleA, PSzymeczek, antirove

folks who were frequently of Italians who profited from other people's weaknesses.

IN the Vatican, we also have a folks who are frequently a bunch  of Italians who profit from other people's weaknesses.

Ergo,  RICO should  . . . .

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 12:56:17 PM PDT

•  Pope Benedict isn't Italian. And most Italians (4+ / 0-)

I know are far more open-minded than the Catholic hierarchy.
        And Italian and organized crime are not synonymous.
        And Pope John XXIII was Italian and seemed to be a man of integrity and kindness unlike the current non-Italian pope.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 02:30:28 PM PDT

•  true, and many (1+ / 0-)
          Tamar

sicilians don't think of Italy, but Sicily as theirs.

I know that the pope is not Italian, but a life long member of Mammalia Rodentia. Despite their trying to cover up their past with several name changes, before becoming the prince of princes, he was the head of the Inquisition, hiding criminals and child abusers from justice.

by agnostic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 02:38:07 PM PDT

•  Don't disagree with any of that (though I haven't (0+ / 0-)

the slightest idea what Mammalia Rodentia is -- mousetits?).
            but Sicily is not equal to organized crime, although it might be the origin location of the mafia.
            I had a very close friend who is Sicilian background. He definitely considered himself Italian. And Sicilian. (but mainly American). And his family had no ties to the mafia.
            But I'll admit that he did know people who knew people -- he seriously considered the people who were known to people he knew as a possible solution to the harassment and extortion being perpetrated on a mentally handicapped cousin of his.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 02:46:21 PM PDT

•  the biological name for The Rat. (1+ / 0-)
              DaleA

I dated a sicilian girl once. What got my intestines in a twist was how she invited me to a dinner two weeks after we began . . .  er  . . . well, whatever.

The dinner was in Little Italy in Chicago, a region that was almost, but not quite completely destroyed with the building of a university. I thought "Hm, a nice dinner, a new restaurant, cool." I had no idea that her entire family was there. 20+ of them, there to meet me and celebrate our engagement. I had no clue I was the guest of honor.

ENGAGEMENT? HUH?

I think my face changed color a few times. Her brother stood up, and said, "You know, I like you, but let me guess, you had no clue about this or about your upcoming marriage, did you?"

I nodded to him. He shook his head, and said, "Damn, not again. Not to worry, I will fix it."

After the main course was served, he managed to get me out of there, along with his girlfriend and his sister.

I learned one thing. Be careful of who you sleep with.

by agnostic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 02:55:31 PM PDT

•  my friend was quite the opposite. He took me to (2+ / 0-)
                agnostic, DaleA

all sorts of family events and made clear that we were friends, nothing more (which was true).
                I remember when he took me to a 50th wedding anniversary celebration and there were 500 people there. I said "gee, your great aunt & uncle have a lot of friends."
                "Nope," he said, "they're all relatives!"
                (and the food was so damn great!).

But I'm glad you got out of your "engagement" party with your health intact.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 03:12:01 PM PDT

•  Please don't insult rats like that, thanks. (n/t) (1+ / 0-)
            agnostic

There is no saving throw against stupid.

by Throw The Bums Out on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 03:02:32 PM PDT

•  It's very un-Jesusy ... (5+ / 0-)

... to be a Republican.

"People should not be afraid of their government; governments should be afraid of their people." --V

by MikeTheLiberal on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 02:08:26 PM PDT

• Recommended (146)
  • Community (72)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (42)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (34)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Civil Rights (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Economy (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site