View Diary: The Real Reason Republicans hate "Obamacare" (30 comments)

•  Fair enough, but (2+ / 0-)
    mikepridmore, bluezen

the problem with Republican voters is a pathological fear of diversity.

•  Are you sure (1+ / 0-)
      phonegery

that is the stereotype you want to go with?  If I had to choose one word to describe them it would be "misinformed." Part of the point I am trying to make is that rank and file Republicans are not adequately represented by their leaders.  I would rather take a smack at the leaders than at all Republicans.  Stereotypes are dangerous.

The ...Bushies... don't make policies to deal with problems. ...It's all about how can we spin what's happening out there to do what we want to do. Krugman

by mikepridmore on Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 11:24:08 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I'm golden with "fear of diversity," ty (1+ / 0-)
        mikepridmore

I fail to see how saying they're "misniformed" is any less of a stereotype. And my "stereotype" fits better, and more accurately predicts their behavior.

Back when I wanted to change the minds of GOP voters, I might have called them misinformed. It's far less personally offensive, after all, and you catch more bees with honey.

And then the last 12 years happened, during which it became palpably clear that they don't want to change my mind. They just want to beat me. And you, by the way.

The one pleasant part of exchanging my desire for discourse in favor of a desire for victory is, I no longer have to lie just to be nice. So, no, I won't say they're misinformed. They're bigots.

•  aha (0+ / 0-)
          exchanging my desire for discourse in favor of a desire for victory
          And calling them "bigots" isn't offensive? Interesting.  By labelling them as "bigots" you dehumanize them and turn them into the "other."   When we dehumanize the enemy it is we who lose.

by mikepridmore on Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 12:05:09 PM PDT

•  i don't see them so much as bigots as i do (2+ / 0-)
            mikepridmore, SethRightmer

as being extremely adverse to any kind of change -- like little kids, who get upset any time their schedule is changed or interrupted, or dogs, whenever their owners go away on trips -- things like that.

conservatives are by nature, conservative (!) & not receptive to change.  they like things just as they are, mainly b/c their lives are comfortable & they don't want them to be altered.

when minorities (especially) are in the position that has previously been held by whites, that's seen as negative change of the highest degree, & extremely threatening to their way of life, so arquebus is correct about the racial aspect of it (imo).  it doesn't have so much to do w/race as it does w/their perception of who "should" be in charge.  the same applies to men being in positions of power instead of women.

•  Thanks for commenting. (1+ / 0-)
              bluezen

by mikepridmore on Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 12:28:59 PM PDT

•  When it is about the idea that Whites should be (0+ / 0-)

in charge, aka White Supremacy, how is that different from racism? As with

• Male Supremacy = Sexism
              • American Exceptionalism = Nativism
              • Supremacy of the rich = kleptocracy or aristocracy
              • Christians of a certain kind supremacy = Dominionism

Hands off my ObamaCare[TM]

by Mokurai on Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 03:08:04 PM PDT

•  Wow. (1+ / 0-)
            mikepridmore

You are claiming it is bigoted to say someone acts in a bigoted fashion? I'll be blunt, they have demonstrated they will not compromise. They will not sit down at the table and discuss this with us like rational people. Have you not been paying attention? They want a revolution. They want us DEAD. Liberals are subhuman traitors in their eyes, and minds, and words. Not just the talking heads say this, but the rank and file. Please explain to me how the republican rank and file are different from the brownshirts. This is what you want to compromise with, Quisling.

•  Compromise with, no. (0+ / 0-)

Communicate with, yes.  I am talking about winning the court of public opinion.  Rank and file Republicans are not all the shouting idiots you see on the teevee.  Some of them are, but not all.  Some of them actually have brains and values.  In my piece I quoted from various interviews with Mark Pauly, the person credited by many with originating the mandate idea.  He genuinely believes in small government.  But he also believes that achieving health care for everyone is more important than the small government solution he would prefer.  He is not the lone sane Republican left in the world either.  There are lots of other genuinely principled Republicans out there.

by mikepridmore on Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 02:02:23 PM PDT

•  Yes, yes, it is the 90% of racists and bigots in (0+ / 0-)

The Base that give the moderate 10% a bad name.

Denying the existence of Obama Derangement Syndrome is as fact-challenged as any bloviating ignoramus on their side. Have a look at my Republican Code Words Glossary and Ethnic and Other Slurs pages on dKosopedia. Yes, I provide lots of snark, but I also cite them in their own words.

Hands off my ObamaCare[TM]