View Diary: Methamphetamine (289 comments)

•  I live in an area where meth is virtually (14+ / 0-)

Epidemic.

I've dealt with former meth users in the classroom. I've had students fall to meth. I've watched neighbors succumb. I can now spot one from a mile away and have even learned to take different aisles at the grocery to avoid confrontation when I'm in a hurry with someone hopped up on meth.

It's pretty horrific, isn't it? I don't know what the answer is, but I do know meth use seems to arise from and breed little more than hopelessness.

•  (Shudder) (5+ / 0-)

It does sound horrific.

We've got a big problem on our hands.

•  Yea, we do. (2+ / 0-)
        worldlotus, G2geek

Big problem.

•  The problem is untreated (2+ / 0-)
        figurine, blueness

Mental illness or body chemistry out of balance.

Meth abuse is a symptom.

Women create the entire labor force.

by splashy on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 01:44:16 PM PDT

•  As the 15th comment to the same effect (5+ / 0-)

its time for you to stop spamming.

I don't even entirely disagree with you...but your repeated messages are bullshit.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:21:27 PM PDT

•  I just feel strongly about this (2+ / 0-)
            figurine, blueness

I have seen many people put in jail for simple usage of drugs.

I have seen many people have problems because they are afraid to get help.

I have seen various drugs being touted as the "worst" over the years, each time being a different drug.

The problem is a lack of real education on what drugs do, why people use them, and how many make money from them being illegal, hurting so many families.

Why is it bullshit to put out the truth to all that are putting forth things that are not?

Women create the entire labor force.

by splashy on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:36:39 PM PDT

•  The truth is good (2+ / 0-)
              G2geek, erush1345

once, twice maybe even three times.  twenty...that's just kinda annoying.

Here's an idea....write one substantive comment rather than 20 short dumb ones.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:40:28 PM PDT

•  That being said (0+ / 0-)

I will leave now.

Don't mean to annoy, just have seen too many lives ruined by the war on drugs over the years.

Women create the entire labor force.

by splashy on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:41:12 PM PDT

•  Listen (0+ / 0-)

I am really not asking you to leave, and I really do think you have something to contribute.

Just saying you passion on the subject is leading you to advocate it in less than useful ways.

You are right, many of the problems of addiction are the result of other psychological problems.  In order to address addiction we need to work on providing people with better mental health care.

I doubt many would disagree here.  Likewise, few here support the war on drugs.

I just got tired of repeated one or two line comments that kept saying

"Meth is a symptom"

That's all I was reacting to.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:49:28 PM PDT

•  You're OK (0+ / 0-)

I doubt many would disagree here.  Likewise, few here support the war on drugs.

I just got tired of repeated one or two line comments that kept saying

"Meth is a symptom"

That's all I was reacting to.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 02:51:16 PM PDT

•  interesting: how do you spot 'em? (0+ / 0-)

What kinds of signs do you look for?

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we have the usual urban drug problems, plus a large population with untreated or marginally treated psychiatric illnesses.   It would be interesting to see how your list of signs stacks up against what we see around here all the time.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 08:05:09 PM PDT