View Diary: I'm Firing Chick-Fil-A (325 comments)

•  I'm gonna miss my morning (17+ / 0-)

large diet Coke. Damn. Well, they never got much from me, anyway, but time to cut them off.

"At stake are not just the details of policy, but fundamental principles of social justice and the character of our country." ~Sen. Ted Kennedy

by Wendy in FL on Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 07:09:40 PM PDT

•  While you're at it, don't buy Coke products (6+ / 0-)

anywhere else either. That is an evil company.

'Betting against Facebook since 2012'

by VictorLaszlo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 08:00:56 PM PDT

•  Not only that, but cola is seriously (12+ / 0-)

bad for you, diet or otherwise.

“when Democrats don’t vote, Democrats don’t win.” Alan Grayson

by ahumbleopinion on Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 08:13:43 PM PDT

•  why is that? n/t (1+ / 0-)
          VictorLaszlo

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 10:17:36 PM PDT

•  Well, 'regular' cola has caffeine, and a 16-oz (5+ / 0-)

bottle has as much sugar as two or three Baby Ruth candy bars.

Diet soda is... just kind of nothing, at best. Definitely nothing nutritious in there.

I know what water and fruit juice are. Water is necessary for life, and fruit juice generally contains important vitamins, and the sugar in fruit juice is unrefined.

What the hell is aspartame, and why would I want it in my body?

But when buying fruit juice, always read the label. Many beverages are packaged to give the impression that they are fruit juice when they are not. Some are just essentially straight kool-aid. Some contain juice, but they add refined sugar or even HFCS. (Why they would add sugar to fruit juice, I'll never know...)

'Betting against Facebook since 2012'

by VictorLaszlo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 11:21:47 PM PDT

•  All carbonated drinks also mess with bones by (15+ / 0-)

leaching phosphorous, which weakens the bone matrix.

Caffeine and HFCS are a really bad combination.

Problem with fruit juice is the fiber the fructose normally comes with is missing in the amounts that slow the absorption down. Small - 6 oz servings with a meal are ok.

Other than that, use it to flavor your water like a lemon wedge.

Stevia is a natural plant sweetner that is very strong in really tiny amounts. We all have specific food preferences based on experience. We are also very adaptable.

Since I started diet teaching 35 years ago with patients, I cannot even estimate the number of times a cardiac or diabetic patient has told me that the diet changes were just loathsome at first. And then one day they had a glass of whole milk or a donut,  and found it disgusting.

Just had 6 oz of unsweetened ruby red grapefruit juice. Love that pucker :)

One problem with sweets is not well established but makes sense to me. Our bodies developed an insulin release mechanism that is based on how much carbohydrate had been consumed in the last 24 hours. So if the hunter gatherer tribe came upon a berry patch that was ripe and big enough to hang out at over a day, shortly after the sweet berries registered on the tongue, the pancreas started releasing the insulin that had been 'calculated' to be needed. If we consume very sweet foods or drinks that don't have much calorie content, the insulin reaction can backfire, releasing too much and causing a blood sugar drop.

by Ginny in CO on Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 02:02:26 AM PDT

•  Thanks for the info Ginny! Sounds like (2+ / 0-)
                martini, 4Freedom

you know what you're talking about. :)

I've been buying Bragg Concord Grape/Acai Apple Cider Vinegar beverage lately. It's sweetened with stevia - my first real exposure to stevia. Love this stuff.

'Betting against Facebook since 2012'

by VictorLaszlo on Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 02:57:17 AM PDT

•  Noooo! Not Carbonated Drinks! (3+ / 0-)
                martini, 4Freedom, Ginny in CO

That hurts!  My favorites are the flavored seltzers - carbonated water + natural flavor, no sugar or sweetener.  I've been trying to avoid any foods with added sugar and I know from common sense that lots of artificial sweetener consumption can't be a good thing.  ...but now carbonation in my Polar seltzer?  Say it ain't so!

•  Well I checked, there is new info. (0+ / 0-)

Somewhat shorter version of the answer that just flew into cyberspace. Ah, the fun and confusion of nutrition science and research.

Probably ok to drink 1 - 2 servings of carbonated beverage per day using seltzers.

Issues with the bone density concept. The bones really need to be considered as the body's mineral storage system. The matrix is constantly being broken down during the day for specific minerals and rebuilt at night. Referred to a remodeling.

Minerals present in bones are: calcium, potassium, manganese, magnesium, silica, iron, zinc, selenium, boron, phosphorus, sulfur, chromium, and dozens of others. In order for bones to absorb the minerals, vitamin D must be present in the diet.
                  Did you get and dozens of others? Think mineral storage system.

Medical science has known for years that milk does a human body more harm than good. I have a love/hate feeling toward dairy farmers and the American Dairy Association. I loves me my cheeses and greek yoghurt. :(

Ask your doctor if you are taking drugs to prevent or reverse osteoporosis and haven't been told about this.

My best general guidelines for diet, after making sure you are getting enough water.

-Variety ~ 30 different foods per day.
                  -Color, the more and deeper the better.
                  -Plant based, whole food. The key here is that the body should be able to use the food with minimal processing. If it has to be ground, cooked in a lot of water, or some other unnatural interference for the body to be able to utilize it, there may be things like glutens, or more specifically lectins, that can give you one of the 'diseases of civilization' (like milk from other creatures, showed up after agriculture changed the human diet). If it can be used with minimal processing, go ahead and process to your taste - that is not likely to make it dangerous.

If you do that, you will also get the amount of fiber your body needs and does all sorts of healthy modifications to the food we put into our gut. It also has lots of natural enzymes and probiotics that the gut needs - enzymes that our body otherwise has to make.

Don't forget the astronaut's problem. No diet will make up for life without weight bearing exercise. The minerals don't get deposited. Intense bicyclers really have a problem with this.

In looking for info to keep up with stuff in a semi sane way. Don't forget your tax dollar ROI NCCAM site at NIH

Overall reporting wise, I think Jack Challem does a very good job of integrating new info with current studies, plus historical zigs and zags in nutrition research.

by Ginny in CO on Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 05:57:26 PM PDT

•  I am weird I hate water. I simply hate it. I (1+ / 0-)
                Ginny in CO

have tried bottled, mineral, well, city, purified...adding a mint leaf I grew myself, adding a lemon wedge, adding ginger or adding strawberries even....and still hate it.

It is really weird but the only time I will drink it at all is in very sweet strong tea (I am from the south) or on a very hot day after I have worked outdoors or excercised and I know I must drink it.  Even then it has to be ice cold and I will chug it so as to not have to taste it.  I hate it...and I have been this way since I was a kid.  Weird.

•  ***exercised*** I hate that we can't fix type o (0+ / 0-)

after we post :)

•  My sympathies Bailey. And some ideas. (1+ / 0-)
                  VictorLaszlo

We are all unique and some of us are more so than others! I worked with a nurse in the early 2000s that had so many allergies the specialist finally told her that if it is any form of plant, she shouldn't eat it. That made for a miserably limited diet.

Since you are apparently a liberal ;) and might be helped by some of the reasoning behind the need for water (which you may know), my spiel.

Water, being what the body is mostly composed of, is the essential solvent for the google of chemical reactions that go on in your body every nanosecond. If the body doesn't have enough, some reactions won't happen. It makes possible the dilution and transport of everything from nutrients, gases, and waste products to toxins. It is the basis for lubrication.

What I figured out after 5 years as a nurse is one predictor of health and longevity: people who have no problem drinking water or good fluids and usually have a drink with them. The ones who tell me "I've never been a water (or good fluid) drinker" are the ones who have the most complications for whatever chronic disease. COPD and heart disease especially (water is the ONLY true blood thinner, everything else is an anti-coagulant) others as well.

I do point out that as long as any flavoring particles you put in it are not: caffeine, alcohol, or too many calories*, the gut especially is a chemical factory that will take that particle off the H20 molecule in half a nanosecond. As long as the flavor particle(s) alone, in whatever concentration, is not harmful, you're body is happy and fine. *The caveat here is: moderation that factors in known and personal safety limits.

Think back to your childhood about associations with drinking fluids. Can you come up with blocks or barriers that might be interfering?  Some of them are amenable to rational examination and discard. Yours could be tougher than that. If you grew up in the south, were you forced to drink fluids when you may not have needed them? Or fluids you didn't like at an age when the senses are picky? Parents or sibs you could ask?

The other piece to what you remember from drinking is to really pay attention to what sensations you don't like while drinking. The cold is numbing some of those.  Are you ok with milkshakes, sherbets and ices? Find a good 'frozen concoction maker' and do your own thing!

Are thick beverages like apricot nectar or tomato juice less of a problem? There are commercial fluid thickeners that we use for people with swallowing problems to prevent aspiration. If your problem is really getting it down your throat at all because of thinness, thickeners might be worth trying. There are also natural ones - they tend to have more flavor than the ones developed for medical use.

Other possibilities for flavoring. Ultimately the nose knows and dictates what it likes and doesn't. The olfactory cells are detecting chemicals transported via the blood from oral absorption as well as airborne (another reason cold may help you). You mentioned strong sweet tea. Can you make it decaf with a stevia like sweetner? What flavors do you like? Go to the baking aisle and check out the alcohol based natural flavors. (We are talking a miniscule amount of alcohol.) Lemon oil is often more pleasing than the fruit. Using that, lemon or orange peel, especially with teas may appeal.

What about other teas. Herbal, fruit, combinations with spices or even frozen concentrates in a 'splash' amount. Have you tried red or Roibos? It's from an African plant that has good antioxidants with no caffeine, and I think it comes very close to standard tea - almost better. Goes very well with spices and orange peel. Any of these things could be made up as a concentrate a little ahead so it is ready to add to that glass of iced cold water. (Teas after steeping are not very stable - best used within a day.)

Natural odors/air freshner's that distract your nose a little while drinking so you don't have to chug? Bacon?

Are you outside the box, bottles, cartons and cans yet?

Humans are very adaptable and there is a significant group that insists the whole water focus is bogus. They have ways of using foods to get enough water which might serve you. There are many foods very high in water content, if you intentionally maintain an above average intake of those, it should only help. I have no sources so you will have to consult Google.

Feel free to kosmail if you have questions I may not be able to answer!

To your health :)

by Ginny in CO on Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 03:33:49 PM PDT

•  "What the hell is aspartame?" (4+ / 0-)
              martini, 4Freedom, VictorLaszlo, elwior

It is Donald Rumsfeld's evil essence.

•  plus (5+ / 0-)

soda does horrible things to your teeth.  Especially if you sip it over a period of time.  My dentist has a photo album of some of their patients that shows the results of different levels of consumption.  Grim.  Very grim.

New WI State Motto : Cut It, Gut It, Pave it, Fill It. If A Union Is Involved, Crush It. h/t the political environment

by kdrivel on Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 03:48:24 AM PDT

•  Several others below have given many of the (4+ / 0-)
            martini, 4Freedom, elwior, howabout

reasons.  I can only add that since I decided to stop drinking diet cola and generally gave up artificial sweeteners a year ago I have managed to lose 35 pounds and get back to what I weighted 25 years ago.  I drink mostly unsweetened iced tea and water.  And like others have reported, once  I got on a healthy diet, I found it does not seem like a hardship at all.

“when Democrats don’t vote, Democrats don’t win.” Alan Grayson