View Diary: Homophobic Slurs Are OK If You Don't Mean Them (280 comments)

•  Unfortunately, you used a bad comparison (12+ / 0-)

because white people have reclaimed the N word--white people of a certain age.

Since I work in retail and go to college, I spend a lot of time amongst the late-teens, early-twenties set. And, yep, the N-word is just a word. Including out of the mouths of white kids to their black friends (and back again).

I find it appalling. THey can't understand why.

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 12:29:58 PM PDT

•  Well, unfortunately, most straight people (10+ / 0-)

still think that "fag" is theirs to use as well.

I've heard that white kids are starting to use the word. It infuriates me.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 12:33:30 PM PDT

•  While it's going to cause (5+ / 0-)

no end of trauma for older generations and those of us who were raised with more awareness, this:

THey can't understand why.
      might bode well for the future. If you're going to have a low-information segment of the white population (and I think that's probably unavoidable), total cluelessness is probably the best racial attitude they could have.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 12:36:07 PM PDT

•  I'm 23 and sort of know what you're talking about (15+ / 0-)

Myself, I could never use the word. Maybe it has something to do with having a sense of history, being a grad student who has an interest in social movements and Civil Rights. But I do know what you're talking about when you say you know many white kids who freely use the word. I also find it appalling.

Homosexuality is found in over 450 species. Homophobia is found in only one. Which one seems unnatural now?

by Chrislove on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 12:37:55 PM PDT

•  I don't believe you (1+ / 0-)
      Bud Fields

and I know damn well white people have NOT "reclaimed" the word. Yes, you may have heard a few white and black youngsters saying it to each other, I don't doubt that, but I doubt very seriously that the black kids involved have accepted it willfully. Perhaps they tolerate it for being a part of some clique or they don't care to make a fuss but the word has not been "reclaimed", not by a long shot.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 06:47:51 PM PDT

•  I couldn't say (3+ / 0-)

what black kids feel about it; I'm not black, nor am I a kid. I just know what I see.

My own personal opinion is that black folks did way WAY too good a job of "reclaiming" it. Because it's in every other rap that these kids listen to--and there's lots of white kids listening. I've been up in the stockroom with some of these kids playing the music they listen to--and they are innundated with it. There's more n-words than there are "fucks" (and that's saying something).

I do know one black kid who uses it freely, around any race, but once told me "My grandmother (who he lives with) blows a gasket if I use it at home." Which, I suspect, is half the reason he uses it.

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 07:35:58 PM PDT

•  I admit you may be right (2+ / 0-)
          Bud Fields, commonmass

what you say sounds real, at least as far as rap music goes. I haven't been around a racially mixed group of teenagers since rap became inter-racial.

by cacamp on Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 08:22:15 PM PDT